2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

More likely he knows who the bodies that should of been buried are.

6 Likes

Chances of an ex-premiership player NOT being elected to the board of a football club:

Zero

3 Likes

Wellman’s departure at end of 2013 was probably just as he said at the time.

Was a legitimate need so he could get the qualifications/set up his mortgage broking business.

1 Like

X was at the club during the 2012 season, he was and is in a position of that arguably had a level of governance responsibility, due to its seniority, but we’re happy he’s in place.

Perhaps Wellman could be considered as similar?

10 Likes

what was his position?

Curious - Does the ’ Donkey Vote ’ have much influence in a footy club’s board elections ?

In a voluntary election?

Wasn’t he in marketing?

Why not - Have no doubt a donkey vote will have less impact in a voluntary election than a compulsory election, but at the last election, Lio won by 8 votes, and she is on top of the list.

Bringing back Evans is fine, but not Wellman.
Or Hird.

10 Likes

Projects and marketing for five years previously. Also, according to Little a key integral member of the senior executive before being promoted to CEO

1 Like

Wellman is super impressive IMO and a worthy candidate.

Also lol at the equivocation between him and Dank/Robinson (lol should be in caps)

Ping @Alan_Noonan_10 did I use equivocation right?

5 Likes

That is an interesting view. Given that both Hird and Wellman have as much right to claim that they are victims of the saga as much as the players, and Evans made some critical executive mistakes that cost our Club millions of dollars and ended in player suspensions.

3 Likes

Once again, I want Hird back at the Club. I’d be more than happy to have Wellman back at the Club, likewise for Evans, likewise for Bomber. They’re all great Essendon people.

I don’t ever want to see any of them on the Board.

We’ve learnt much and come far. The thing that has always set Blitz apart, for me anyway, is the considered and reasoned discussion. Yes, we’re emotional, but unlike the countless other social forums, there’s a high level of intelligence here. Lots of different opinions, lots of disagreement and plenty of angst but thats part of what makes it work better than the rest.

Three years ago, we were a part of something pretty special. We took a chance, an opportunity, to shape the future of our footy club. It was powerful stuff. It was also a massive gamble. We were brave and fortune favoured us.

I’m proud of what we did. I look at where our Club is now and think, in some small way, I was a part of that transformation, we made this happen.

What it also did was provide a template for future aspirants. As seen by subsequent elections, candidates have attempted to use Blitz to get their message across. What they’ve failed to realise is that we’re a tough audience. Our bullshit meter is strong. They usually don’t stay long.

So here’s the thing, and at the end of the game, it’s really the only thing that is important.

Do you believe Paul Cousins have Katie Lio have represented you well?

Do you believe the footy club is better for them being on the board?

Do you believe any of the other candidates would represent you better than Paul and Katie?

Once again we have the opportunity to shape the future direction of the footy club. Its an opportunity we seized with both hands three years ago. It’s no less important this time round.

3 Likes

No changes for mine.

If Hird was available for the appointed position, then I couldn’t think of anyone better.
But that seems extremely unlikely.

The idea, though, that you’d keep Hird out while it was fine for others who were there at the time to stay…well, you say this place is supposed to be about reasoned debate. That sounds unjustifiable at best and vindictive at worst to me.

15 Likes

With the greatest respect, could someone please tell me what each of them have done? No offence intended.

1 Like

Yeah I get what you’re saying and it does deserve an explanation.

I’m not displeased that Heffernan is going. I’m not across what he did or didn’t do during the saga but my feeling is he should have been across it more or earlier.

I think Brasher is the only other board member and he came in at the end when the damage was done. I don’t hold him responsible.

1 Like

The idea that we are “bringing back” some of these great Essendon people to the club, but we are saying there is a proviso - you are no longer worthy to serve on our Board - is one of the most repugnant ideas I have read on Blitz.
Such a misguided view could only stem from a complete lack of understanding of their accountability; a misunderstanding of the role of a Board member and what ‘governance’ actually means; failure to understand the emotional and social impact of applying a life long sentence/punishment; failure to recognise that most of those listed above have already been punished far beyond anything they deserved etc etc etc.
It is also an opinion which values ‘image’ over substance, which was one of key drivers of the whole saga mess.

I really like Katie Lio’s contribution on Blitz, but seriously I think she needs to sack Darli as an unofficial campaign supporter as she will lose votes if anyone associates such obnoxious, misinformed crap with her.

11 Likes

Fair enough.
It seems a very broad view, as someone has already mentioned in a little more detail, and not one I share.
But it is at least a view I can understand.

It is a very broad view. To explain it fully would take time I don’t have. There are some discussions that work better in person over a bottle or two of red.

This is one of them.