2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

Firstly, let me assure you that I know exactly what governance means. I’ve worked with and for boards most of my working life.

And I believe neither you, nor I, nor anyone that wasn’t intimately involved at the time, will ever have a full understanding of what went on.

To believe otherwise is naive.

1 Like

So we have 3 Senior List spots and 2 Rookies to pick from this list. Am I doing it right? Is @Catherine_Lio the inside mid we’ve been searching for?

On a serious note, I believe the board are doing a great job and so will be voting for them unchanged. We are quick to call for change when things go bad. The inverse should be true too.

I think Sean Wellman would be a welcome addition but this could be achieved via the Heffernan replacement position.

5 Likes

They probably already have Heffernan’s replacement so I don’t think it’s Wellman… It’s a pity we don’t know prior to the election.

2 Likes

with sheeds.

2 Likes

I agree. There is a danger if Wellman is elected that he will be duplicating a skill set of the undisclosed board appointment. Another skill set may not be filled. Maybe it will operate the other way and the decision on the appointed director is made post-election. Problem is the role of football director is quite specific & they clearly don’t want Wellman. Need some transparency.

I have worked in big organisations, as would other posters. My direct experience is that while the organisations tick all the governance boxes on paper, when something hits the fan, scapegoating and character assassination, often with the complicity of the media, can be more likely than not. Senate Committees also have their own agendas.
Once, when journalists in full possession of the facts were asked why they did not pursue those in a position of power, they said that they needed to maintain their contacts.
I have seen the lives of the scapegoats in my organisations scarref for life.

9 Likes

The only thing that could make me consider Big Ron even less is if he proclaimed he was a coeterie member,

1 Like

Couldn’t put it better myself. Darli really is making me want Welly to get up.

1 Like

Lets hope it is NOT David Evans.

2 Likes

Darli said, “I don’t ever want to see any of them on the Board.” (Hird was included in “any of them”).

A question for Lio and Cousins: Do you agree with Darli that Hird should never be on the board?

Hi Kira, happy to answer this here but maybe try to keep questions in the Q&A thread if we can, I’d stopped watching this thread.
As a current member of the board it would be really inappropriate of me to comment on anyone I would or wouldn’t be happy to sit on our board with or the suitability of any potential director I’m sorry.
What I would say is that I got along very well with James while he was coach and after he left, I admire and like him very much as a person and he’s obviously a great champion of our club.
Sorry as I said would be inappropriate for me to comment further than that - I’m happy to speak to the skill set and make up of our current board if you have any questions on that?

3 Likes

If Hird was to nominate for a spot on the board, he’d get in.
It wouldn’t matter who the other nominees are.

11 Likes

Just to close this off, I would have to agree with Paul here. It would be entirely inappropriate for me to voice an opinion on potential board candidates - especially ones that have never hinted that they would like to be on the board.

James is and always will be a champion of our football club and beautiful human being.

Now back over to the q&a thread!

2 Likes

Surely we just stick to candidates that are running. Hird is and will always be respected as a champion and oerson…but he is not running and it only clouds the focus and process highlighting him.

We just hope James and family are doing well and from all reports they are

3 Likes

Paul_Cousins and Catherine_Lio: Thanks for responding.

CJohns: I didn’t raise this point, Darli did.

Exactly… and I can see why Katie Lio and Paul Cousins were keen to leave this thread - it hasn’t helped their cause.

I’m still in the thread - just don’t want to annoy everyone with two threads of q&a!

We probably should have just kept one then…

Maybe we have run out of straw dogs, like: he’s a coterie member; met him once, he’s dishonest; he’s a past player; he was on the coaching staff in 2012; he jumped ship; she favoured limited membership; he/ she is being supported by someone with whom I once had a run in…

6 Likes