2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

Ha! No quid pro quo here, but there have certainly been people on Blitz who have been lucky enough to come into the rooms after a game when they have asked… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know nothing about dr Hughes … good on him for putting his name forward for election to the board. Nothing wrong with having a bit of competitiveness to clarify what issues are important to candidates.
In the article Hughes raised ‘not winning finals and AFLW’ … Not winning a final is a big issue but I think the club is moving in the right direction. The club appears to be very united, and determined to becoming a strong, winning team once again.
On not winning the bid for an AFLW licence… Well, I really don’t think the club could have done much more to try and get an AFL women’s team licence. Their presentation from what I know of it was fantastic - I can’t see how dr Hughes or any one person could have changed that. And after losing, they didn’t drop their head but have implemented a plan to develop a VFLW side that looks pretty exciting.
On membership… I don’t think anyone would have believed that our membership would have reached the record number achieved this year. What an amazing result for the club. Added to this, the numbers attending matches (second only to richmond?)
Anyway, my point is… why change a board that appears to be functioning extremely well.

One thing that does concern me is the low number of indigenous players - If not for Walla’s determination and persistence then…?
With our influence and connection to Darwin we should be doing better - I hope this is also a concern for the board.

8 Likes

I asked this question of a candidate a while back.

The short answer was it’s complex. The longer but still not comprehensive answer is that, at the time I asked, we had limited resources and we were allocating them as required. My guess is as we become more prepared and better resourced, then we can up the anti.

But you said part of your role was helping kids meet their heros.

Some of the new recruits might want to meet wob!

Sorry @westozziebomber, couldn’t resist :grinning:

10 Likes

I don’t believe in change for the sake of change and the current board appears to be functioning well.

Blaming the board for not winning a final only makes sense if you think they’ve put the wrong personnel in place. The evidence of our first “saga free” year would seem to indicate that this is not the case.

As far as not having an AFLW team goes, as disappointing as that decision from the AFL was, it’s pretty clear that the actual proposals had very little to do with the final decision. 6 licenses were given out, 5 went to those who bidded the first time round and didn’t make it and the last one went to GC… draw your own conclusions there. I imagine our VFLW team will have a higher attendance than GC’s AFLW.

Pointing to those 2 items as to why change needs to be made at the moment just doesn’t connect with me.

4 Likes

The amount of resourcing and financial support in our NGA area of Tiwi and West Arnhem should start to change that pretty quickly. It’s a sincerely supported focus area and one of the main reasons a new position to solely focus on our Next Gen Academies and establishing our womens footy ambitions was created.

Edit to add this: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-11-09/essendon-vflw-to-could-play-in-the-nt

(excellent url string…)

2 Likes

For the record, Essendon came late to the women’s league. Didn’t submit an expression of interest in the first instance. They were probably crunching the numbers from the financial fallout of the Saga and couldn’t afford it.

Yet, they should’ve put their hat into the ring at the time and make clear their preference to enter the comp during the second phase of intake.

To me this suggests management fell asleep at the wheel and face a lengthy wait to be admitted to the AFLW

Easy to say with 20/20 hindsight after the success of the inaugural season.

Whilst I personally was a fan of submitting an AFLW bid the first time around and was disappointed we didn’t, you can hardly blame the club for being fiscally responsible after making an operating loss of $9.8m in 2016. The reaction if we had’ve chosen to spend money bidding on and setting up an AFLW team at the same time would hardly have been positive.

3 Likes

Agree, I see this a a massive conflict of interest tbh

1 Like

I reckon there is a reasonable chance the AFL told us not to submit for the first licences. It was in the middle of the saga, hard to justify awarding us a license in the circumstances.

FWIW there were no options of expressions of interest. You either bid or didn’t. Of course we didn’t. We weren’t in a place where we could.

Our bid this year was strong and well put together. All things being equal we would have a spot. We all know all things were never going to be equal.

1 Like

Fair enough, although I understood the process was favourable to clubs who submitted a tender but missed out the first time. They were effectively guaranteed a spot with the second intake.

Essendon and Hawthorn were strung along by the AFL (surprise, surprise) and we’re never a realistic chance of getting a license this time around despite “compelling” submissions.

Are you sure there was no option to submit a tender but delay your acceptance of a license until the second phase?

I’m sure.

I said it when the decision was made and I’ll say it again…

It is very difficult to fault the EFC for not predicting that the AFL would go with a “first in best dressed” decision making process.

I’d be angered and exasperated about it, but then I’m getting used to the AFL being borderline incompetent and incestuous.

1 Like

Coterie? No thanks.

I’m not a coterie member but people should stop rubbishing them.

Essendon has some extremely weatlthy and influential coteries which played a big part in both building the TVSC and in keeping the club afloat these past 5 years.

If they’re not your cup of tea, then fine. But their significant contribution shouldn’t just be dismissed or washed over.

19 Likes

■■■■ D I C K REYNOLDS One of the clubs greatest ever players should not be restricted by a seer filter, sort it out @Riolio

11 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that lee; all this time I thought his name was F U C K REYNOLDS

7 Likes

I don’t think anyone is rubbishing coteries. I agree with you, they are an essential cog in a successful club.

There does however, need to be clear line between coterie and board. They serve their members, who’s wants and needs and expectations are different to those of the everyday member/supporter.

In my humble opinion both coterie and board are important and work best when they are completely seperate.

5 Likes

Yep I agree, but would have thought that’s patently obvious.

If someone in a leadership role at a coterie was elected to the board I cannot imagine they would remain in the leadership of the coterie? Not sure what the controversy is.

Whereas some posters in this thread (not you) seem to be implying that they wouldn’t vote for a candidate who as involved in a coterie because ■■■■ those guys. I think that’s ridiculous

1 Like