2017 EFC AGM It started with a leak

I’m not sure there is a controversy. I think it’s more a question of motivation. Pete, for example , as President of the Essendonians, enjoyed a very high profile and the perks that went along with the position. Now his term has come to an end.

So is he looking for a spot on the board because he believes he can make the club better… or because he likes his place in the sun?

They’re valid questions, especially considering his reasons for nominating were pretty shallow.

2 Likes

I think that you could ask the same question of every candidate. Do they have the motivation to make the club better? I would say in almost all instances yes, it’s a volunteer position with long hours.

Does he like being in the spotlight? I have no idea, but I’d assume yes, the same as everyone other candidate I would imagine.

So is it a valid question to ask? I do t think it’s even a question that makes sense to be honest. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. You can want to make the club better, and also like the status and the attention that comes with a board position.

I think a far far more relevant question to ask a board candidate is what they will bring to the table? I dont know anything about Pete, and I likely won’t vote for him, but I would have thought his clear organisational / governance skills as well as his track record as the head of a coterie that raises a significant amount of money fo the club would give him an edge over other candidates without comparable experience.

But really, I have nfi

I am just a little concerned that a candidate for the board has decided to announce his running via The Rage with a chat with a journo.

7 Likes

It’s what he does.

I don’t begrudge someone from using the media to get their message across. If they can promote themselves to the members for free then why wouldn’t they? I just hope he comes to Blitz for some reasoned questioning and flat out sarcasm. It’s what we do best.

2 Likes

I really and truly value your opinion D, but you’re skirting around the edges here.

If you think the guys a scumbag or whatever then perhaps share the specific reasons why. Myself and others would value it.

Definitely not a scumbag. I have limited experience with Pete, have met him only a couple of times. I do know he loves the footy club, as we all do.

My reservations are his motivation and his ego.

Still believe those whobwwre there in 2012 should not be at the club. It happened on their watch, they need to leave

4 Likes

Who was that wog bloke who tried to get on a few years ago?

He’s got my vote again.

3 Likes

And if Cathy wants my vote, she’s going to have to buy it! @Catherine_Lio

4 Likes

You mean Gauci ? Or Raptopoulos ?

Neither

WHO DO I ASK

Someone with access to room passes I would suggest. :wink:

1 Like

It’d be like finding a golden ticket to a chocolate factory.

One of my best mates worked for the club a few years back. Not once did I get into the rooms…Prick!

1 Like

Vito Guzzardi

MY MAN

2 Likes

What’s wrong with you, mate?

Get Hocking’s dad to get you in.

Oh wait…

To be honest i’m not having a go at anyone in a coterie but you do find they do express themselves as a Diamond Don or Essendonian rather than an Essendon member.

It’s also some of the language in the article (and it may be the journalist).

For example;

“Hughes, who has spent five years guiding the Essendonians through a period marred by the supplements saga, said there were several areas the Bombers needed to focus on.”

“I am nominating because I feel I have an ability to add a deeper level of value to the club after spending over five years guiding the Essendonians through a very challenging period,” Hughes said.

OK so what needed guiding at the Essendonians exactly? Is there more information that they know about that everyone didn’t get to know about?

Also;

“We must have a clear focus on building a benchmark football program and department that can deliver sustainable success as this will effectively underpin other corporate objectives and consolidate our ability to become a true destination club.”

So we don’t have that right now? Are we running along not knowing what we are doing?

And;

“During this period, the coterie actually grew in numbers and produced consistent returns to the club, despite the environment that we had to operate within. I feel that I can bring many of the experiences, learnings, and key relationships made during this time to the club to assist it in delivering its key strategic objectives. I also have a wide range of corporate skills, having successfully founded and run my own companies after working in a number of diverse and well known organisations.”

Did the membership numbers also not increase during this period? Are we not at record membership numbers?

Lastly;

If you have a look at the Essendonians website the last blog update was Rnd 19 2015 and the last gallery update was in 2016 and finally the ex president is still listed as the president. Remember that line about better inclusiveness and communication from the club? How about you tell everyone else what you actually do as well, maybe then you won’t be met with as much scorn.

Again, I have nothing against the coteries but if you want to say these things about the club and how they can improve perhaps it would best to give us something to back up your own claims as well.

16 Likes