2018 Free Agents

I am watching.

Interestingly I had a coffee with a lad this morning that I used to coach who is now a top up player for the Crows SANFL side and word from inside their camp is that he has pretty much come to an agreement with the club to leave. With his partner becoming pregnant the club has apparently told him they won’t stand in his way. With Rankine and Lukosius looking like absolute guns I’d imagine they would be looking at getting into the top 2 at the draft.

4 Likes

Just let any team take rankine then get him back after 2 years.

Both Rankine and Lukosius according to one of their state coaches are zero flight risk and more than happy to play wherever so the Crows might be forced to act early.

How many good years do people think Sloane has left?

3-4 but I’d be scared of giving up too much for him and you could guarantee the opposition will tag him out of the game every week

1 Like

We need an inside mid bull.

Sloane is an inside mid kamikaze… but he isn’t a bull.

Would love to have him, but he won’t fix our key midfield weakness.

Get schloithe.

1 Like

Patrick Cripps is off contract at the he end of next year…start getting in his ear about how bad fark carlton are and how much closer to success we are (hopefully)

2 Likes

Shiel would be my pick but he ain’t ever leaving GWS

2 Likes

yeah lets not even pipe dream that.

Do we find Brayshaw at all intriguing?

Demon laughs off ‘comical’ trade talk - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-17/demon-laughs-off-comical-trade-talk

How would they get a top pick for Sloane? Given he’s a restricted FA plus he’s fairly old.

I understand they would look at trying a similar situation to what they did with Dangerfield - say they will match any opposition contract offer unless they get better/more draft picks than what the compo picks would be…but surely Sloane isn’t worth anything near a top 5 pick at his age.

Do people agree that Sloan is probably worth a pick between 10-16?

Every trade that Adelaide has been involved in recently, has been very expensive IMO. Whether buying or selling.

Lever
Cameron
Gibbs

I think they would approach a Sloane trade thinking that this is just where the market is at. That these are precedents.

So I think they would start by demanding a lot. Probably start by demanding two first rounders. Which I would be horrified to see my club pay.

Sloane is an intriguing one. I was told late last year he’d likely extend for a year or two before returning to Vic. His wife has a job with Ch 7 lined up and his parents just returned to vic after living in SA for a period of time to be closer to Rory & Belinda. Now that her pregnancy is confirmed, I wouldn’t be surprised if this changed the thought process & expedited his return. I believe we have the cash in the cap for a player of his caliber, but whether we’re in the race for him, I don’t know. He’s certainly not that BIG bodied mid we seem to lack but he’s a clearance machine so would be a good pick up if we managed to get him. As mentioned, I think if Adelaide forced a trade, they’d ask for plenty given they gave up 2 first rounders for a 29 year old Gibbs, I’m sure they’d use that as a form of precedent given Sloane would be 29 next season.

Everybody could’ve yet didn’t. I wonder why. If he’s in any way comparable to Tim Kelly he’s worth a shot, Kelly looks the goods on his form to date.

Easily.

Think Schloithe meant to be a more inside player and has questionable kicking. Someone mentioned the two handed ball drop earlier IIRC. Does that stand up at AFL level midfield where time to dispose of footy much shorter than WAFL.

As for the Gibbs precedent, he still had two years to run on his contract. Sloane will be OOC, they can’t be asking for 2 first rounders.

I can’t see how we’d have anywhere near enough money to chase a big name. Almost certain we’ll be restricted to playing around the edges and retaining our existing playing group. Not a bad thing.

Our list is very young

A lot of our stars were signed on long term big contracts pre the new CBA & didn’t have the salary cap increase built into their contracts. No automatic percentage increase.

We aren’t paying anyone ridiculous money, JD is on $800k when market says he could be higher and yet you will see Tom Lynch prob get $1.5m/yr … we can land one extra gun player than that team.

Goddard if he stays will likely drop back to a minimum chips contract playing purely on quest for success