2018 Non-Essington Finals WankWank

Yep, just watched the 7 min highlights package on youtube. Rough count 3x appeals to umpires when he was squarely beaten, 2x dives to milk a free kick when he was squarely beaten.

1 Like

Ii counted at least 5 goals directly kicked on him

ha - I had a chuckle at that - you poor thing - oh well, at least you save on dental costs.

1 Like

He had a bad night but defenders and forwards fortunes for that matter are reliant on their mids either creating multiple entries or stopping them. Big Cox took so many marks because he had heaps of chances. Rance usually does well because his opponents get bugger all opportunities and the one that do get through are hurried under pressure.

It’s funny how we go on about how good a job defender did on forward X when the stats show that forward X’s team had bugger all forward entries. Forward X can’t get it if the ball isn’t near by.

Collingwood’s mids did Rance over. Just like GWS’s mids did L FRANKLIN! over the other week and Freo’s mids did J Daniher over in round 2.

Can’t agree with that diggers.

Rance is a horrific one on one defender and has been exposed multiple times when he has been made to be accountable for a big foward

5 Likes

Fair enough, I’ll try and engage in more constructive dialogue next time you post something that bothers me.

:roll_eyes:.

I’m not saying they don’t have some very good players, but they have some battlers as well and Buckley has done very well to get the best out of them.

And I don’t see a single person on here saying Colyer will be in our next premiership team.

1 Like

Nope, increasingly feeling this too mate. I don’t even want to feel it as it is laughable with footy just a game but its incredible how much you can invest in a team. Something very tribal about it that you can’t explain to the average joe.

Going to be a ■■■■ week with Pies in the granny.

1 Like

Is it so enlightened to talk up guys that you’ve pooped on for 5 years, because they’ve lucked into a winning side this year??

Perhaps my favourite quote about footy ever is from Tim Watson. “You’re never as good, or as bad, as you think you are”.

Mayne and Aish and Cox and Varcoe haven’t metamorphosed into superstars this year. They’re still battlers, role players. They’re just battlers in a good side, not battlers in a crap side.

There’s never been a side of 22 superstars, and there never will be. Good sides work out a way to use the good aspects of their battlers, and have their good players cover the weaknesses of their battlers. But everyone has battlers.

When a side works out how to beat collingwood, you can bet the majority of those guys get exposed for what they are. Same as Graham and Higgins et al got exposed last night, for richmond.

2 Likes

The Age has an opinion piece entitled “No one Has Had Darker days Than Melbourne. No one.” Do Melbourne fans seriously think they’ve been through more ■■■■ than Essendon? I’m totally over them and their win for the underdog mentality.

6 Likes

Farken a potential Pies vs Dees GF?

Great time to go off the grid for a while I reckon.

Melbourne - “We were worse than Carlton!”
Carlton - “Melbourne say that they were worse than us!”

Fk off

Yep, have said it all along. Think ovet the 4 games they had a plus 40 free differential. It was horrific.

That premiership should have am asterisks next to it.

Rance is a very good one on one defender. Not sure how you can say he’s no good. But he works in combination with his mids and fellow defenders. Richmond’s mid have been hororising opposing mids for nearly two years making Rance and his fellow deep defenders lives easier than most but Rance’s involvements have been critical to Richmond’s successes.

Richmond were seduced and starry eyed by the over scream of the media telling them they were unbeatable, and they were becoming the next Hawthorn, 3 peat and all that stuff, well almost!

Collingwood, out played, out smarted and out coached them and then beat them at their own game with a few modifications. I thought Grundy’s ruck work was excellent, Mason Cox a four year AFL veteran overachieved and the team were like a well oiled machine.

All the players produced a really truly great performance. This was a game of footy that footy people will be talking about a long time to come. Well done Collingwood.

5 Likes

Anyone who reckons Chris Mayne is a rolled gold superstar can line up and tongue AN10’s.

1 Like

He has been in the past but he’s been playing on centre-half-grass for 2-3 years, since Astbury got himself consistently fit. He struggled to get back to basics and got exposed, badly.

Hurley has had the same thing happen to him a number of times. Still absolutely capable of it, when he’s set for that sort of job, but he’s not doing it every week like he used to.

3 Likes

We NEED our 17th flag NEXT YEAR!

2 Likes

I hope he doesn’t come across your posts about zaka.

bullish it. rance has been a horrible footballer this year and when he has been one on one with a forward has been exposed big time. the bloke guards patches of grass for the majority and fortunately for him his teams system has been able to cover up the turd of a defender he really is

1 Like

Well, exactly. Like A Clarkson said a couple of weeks ago. 'systems win games, not positional changes on game day". Richmond’s system has allowed Rance to be a really effective defender guarding space more so than a player but Collingwood found a way to get past it and Rance found himself under more pressure in one game than he had for 2x years collectively.

I thought he did his best but De Goey and Cox did better. Doesn’t mean Rance isn’t any good.