2018 Pre Season Discussion

Yeah, I don’t really think size of the player is that important. I’m more of a systems man and think that’s far more important.

Premiership sides always have perceived deficiencies in some aspects of their playing list but always overcome it with better structures and supreme adherence to the game plan.

I have been talking Begley up all year and I think he has the ability to be a star but a contested player I don’t see it.

I agree on Mutch. Some overrate him a little but if he is to make it personally believe it will be on the inside.

Clarke’s kicking is definitely a concern but I haven’t given up on him yet. He does so many other things really well and if you need somebody to win a contest then he’s the man. The guy loves a scrap and is never out of the contest. I’m a fan.

3 Likes

All this talk make me want footy more and more.

6 weeks of highlights on YouTube and DVD’s for me.

2 Likes

Dion Prestia goes alright as an inside mid & he is a midget. Both are very stocky through quads/hips.

I see Smith having a similar impact, but with more tricks in front of goal.

2 Likes

He also has a bloke called Martin attracting most of the attention away from him, but good point.

And Cotchin

As we will with Stringer & Zerrett

They then had Caddy & Graham as other rotating big bodied mids. And we have Hep & Langford/Myers/Mutch

Zerrett may be a better player than Cotchin, but Stringer isn’t in the same ballpark as Martin.

Might attract a bit of attention, but won’t play the midfield minutes that Martin does, and not as effectively.

Mind you, Martin is in another world.

Martin plays significant time forward, he and Caddy interchange as medium fwd/inside mid.

But yes Stringer has proven nothing as a midfielder … yet. Has Dusty like attributes & club clearly thinks he can contribute strongly in midfield though so we shall see!

1 Like

Some of their attributes are similar, but Stringer needs to do it more than once in a blue moon. And on big occasions.

Good thing is he’ll get plenty of ‘big occasions’ to perform.

Considering he has only ever been asked to pinch hit in midfield a few minutes a quarter can only be expected to have done it ‘once in a blue moon’

Dogs were flushed for mids but have had not much forward hence someone capable of doing so competently played there. As per Smith @ GWS

Valid point. Hadn’t considered that.

The Leadership Group has one notional vacancy. How do you replace Jobe?
Should Jobe be replaced? Is there a candidate?
The 2018 leadership group needs to be sorted within the next 4 weeks.

Good point.

Does it come from an experienced player or another of the kids to have that link with younger players.

David Myers would seem a logical choice from the older but frankly he should be no guarantee to be even in the best team. Zaka perhaps. Devon Smith might also be one to surprise also, is experienced & very vocal.

Andy McGrath would be logical choice for the link with that next wave of kids. Already has leader stamped all over him.

1 Like

AFL survey has McGrath as our most promising player under 23 in front of Merrett and Joe third.

Love McGrath but no way is he going to be better than Joe or even Merrett.

Joe would have to be 23 at least so not sure when this survey was conducted.

1 Like

You can’t predict injuries, or sudden drops in form, but that aside…
13 wins, one more than last year, would be the very barest of passes.
14 okay.
15 very, very good.

I don’t think that’s being harsh or unrealistic.

2 Likes

If they went with experience you would think Zaka or Myers I guess.

I would love to see Fanta introduced though. His onfield ability speaks for itself and apparently he’s one of our best trainers.

I regularly see him at the VFL and he is very popular with the players and is also regularly sitting with Woosha when he’s in attendance.

This club is on the way up off the back of our youth and I would be against them getting most of the leadership responsibilities.

2 Likes

I can’t farking wait for the footy. Serious withdrawals

14 Likes

For 2018 to be a successful year we would have to have 16 to 17 wins plus a winning final.

This could be achieved through a lift in the midfield. While our backline has copped some criticism it was left very exposed through lack of defensive pressure from the midfield.

This will be the first season that Woosha is completely free of the obligations arising from the suspensions. It will be interesting to see what the results are.

16-17 wins will have us top two.
I think that’s setting the bar a little high.
It’d be nice.

Ideally we give Lang and Lav 20+ games this year, and uncover one or both of them as that player.

1 Like

Ideally they earn those games, rather than being given them.

2 Likes