2018 Season in Review: The Clapper v Gloomer Deathmatch

FYI this is what I wanted from 2018.

It wasn’t Mutch or (sadly) Begley, but pretty happy with what we saw in terms of new midfield faces (Langford, McGrath, Stringer, Guelfi, bigger minutes from tippa, occasional bursts from McKenna), and improved defensive work.

So no, not really all that fussed that we missed finals. Developing the midfield, to play the right way, had to be the priority.

But it’s game on from now.

4 Likes

The interest rates were manageable back in the 80’s because some of us had the financial acumen to not over extend. The real pain in the brass was the introduction of Capital Gains Tax in September 1985.

A summary in the Sun this morning praised the player development at Essendon, citing examples like Langford, Laverde, McKenna, and Francis. ( they forgot Ridley, Redman, etc etc )

Quite clearly that writer does not read Blitz, because if they did, they would have savaged us for our “complete incompetence in the area of recruiting and player development”

4 Likes

well done on not over extending on your $30k-40k house!!!

That buys one and a half car parks now.

4 Likes

One and a half car parks? Maybe in Hobart or something

Following Essendon in the last decade has certainly been a roller-coaster ride! This season we had that roller-coaster ride in one year. Clearly the Essendon 2018 season has to be defined by two segments. Pre round 8 and post round 8. The quality of football from Essendon up to round 8 was deplorable and has clearly cost us a season. The losses to Footscray and Carlton were the lowest ebb. I would put forward that the quality of football played since then makes those losses hurt even more. It also became obviously that JD was being played injured. The best thing about round 8 was the reaction by the club management. It was quick and decisive. Clearly management also felt what was being offered the fan base was unacceptable.

Post round 8 we get an almost unrecognisable Essendon. An almost non-existent midfield became a contested possession beast. Hard at the ball and the player with the ball. The inspired move of Baggers into the forward line brought a hard edge to the defensive aspect of the forward line and example of the competitive efforts required. Players like Smack, Langford and Brown have taken full advantage of the opportunity that has been presented them. We have also had excellent cameo performances from players such as Redman, Ridley, Francis and Laverde that indicate that our list is in good shape. It is worth noting that the team performed so admirably without JD and largely without Fantasia. In fact, the post round 8 Essendon was unrecognisable to the team that played finals in 2017. The inside 50 differential swung our way with a midfield that was capable of winning contested footy and didn’t leave the backline exposed. It could be said that there were some games (i.e. the second Collingwood game and the North Melbourne game) where the end result did not reflect how much we controlled general play.

Our three imports were excellent. We could not have asked more from them, in my opinion.

I don’t think we would have made top 4 if we had played the whole season like we played from round 9. But I think we would have given 5th a good shake.

At the end of 2017 I viewed a pass mark for Worsfold in 2018 would be a finals win. We didn’t even make the eight. So in the end I view 2018 as a fail. I want the club to reject mediocrity at all levels and therefore I think the “oh well we look good for next year” attitude is not right. The club should be stung by the missed opportunity and use that as the driver for greater success.

Some people may remember the first edition of Flying High that came out in 1983. It’s title for the 1980’s was “Going Nowhere Fast”. On cue Essendon appeared in the next three Grand Finals, winning two. The last couple of years have made me think of it as we have made a lot of noise but not achieved much. But hopefully we have a better future ahead of us.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion: we played better against C*nton than the month before it.

5 Likes

Yes but it was pretty hard to stump up the deposit back then for a 58k house. Took me 5 years to get a 20k deposit for one in Brewster St because freeloading on the parents like they do now wasn’t an option. Turn 18 and out you went.

Whereas it’s easy to stump up a 60k or 80k deposit now?

1 Like

love how whenever old people come into a thread the thread devolves into how hard it was back in their day etc etc etc etc

2 Likes

I reckon that’s about right actually. We were pitiful against the Dogs and Melbourne in particular. The Carlton game - the result was obviously awful but I didn’t feel we were as bad that day as other days.

1 Like

Gainfully employed, staying off the ■■■■ and freeloading on your parents/ you could cobble that together in no time.

The first $150K isn’t too hard, it’s the second $150K that’s hardest.

Could do it a shitload easier if the housing prices were somewhere realistic, too.

Housing is 4x what it was 20 years ago, wages are 2.2x what it was at the same point. Almost double. The long term trend is much the same back to 1970, growth of double the rate of wages.
It’s silly to pretend otherwise.

1 Like

The next thing is you’ll be blaming boomers for soaking up all the decent supply.

Really good assessment. The biggest lesson learned this year is ‘you don’t accept mediocrity’ if you want to succeed at AFL level. Playing a half-cooked Daniher, a guy who plays on the margins of what physiology allows anyway, was dumb. Carrying Neeld (and McKenna before him) for so long, guys who had achieved zip in their coaching careers, was a mistake. Playing Stringer more mid than fwd in the early rounds, when he didn’t yet have the tank, never a good idea. Not playing a couple of bigger, fitter bods (Langford) in the midfield in the first 8 weeks when Myers wasn’t fit, was a mistake. Trying to turn Hooker, a guy whose career has been in the backline, into a permanent forward… mistake (ok to pinch hit when oppo backs are tiring). McKernan has the perfect build and skillset for a key forward… why for so long he was seen as a viable ruckman when he’s clearly too short, is anyone’s guess.

Overall, the make-do, repurposing of players and coaches when they are not ready and /or will never be ready to succeed in a particular role, doesn’t work.

But when players were played in their best position in the second half of the year, eg quick players with good leg speed and skills (Mckenna) making the play off half-back… slower backs (Hurley) who can’t buy extra seconds through leg speed, playing more defensive… it clicked. Slower more experienced players, (Bags) making composed decisions, coverting, hitting up blokes with centering kicks in the forward line instead of blazing away - brilliant move. Next year’s looking ok.

1 Like

2018 is over, it’s what happens in 2019 that’s important now.

Gloomers think we will miss finals again, I think we will make finals - guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Yes, McKenna, Langford and Bags are certainy very good examples to show that we should not try guys in new roles…

1 Like

Sarcasm? McKenna… half-back/wing his whole career - hardly playing a new role this year… purpose built for his position. Langford’s been groomed for the BB midfield role for years… Bags swapped but is the perfect fit for the defensive fwd role he plays - good tackler, good kick for goal. ??

I don’t think this actually represents the view of gloomers at all.

2 Likes