2018 Season in Review: The Clapper v Gloomer Deathmatch

My personal view is 1 degree, and 1 degree only, should be subsidised.

The fault in the system IMO wrong is the kids who leave school with (as you say) no real idea what they should do. They know they’re too smart to flip burgers their whole lives, but have no idea what they want to do. Schools/parents push them to put down a course arbitrarily, that they have no interest in. They go along to uni for a year or two, then either drop out, or change course, once they have some life experience.
What a waste of everyone’s time and money.

One shot before it’s user pays. Make it count!

5 Likes

Compulsory?

Only for the rich ones, so we can take their money.

To pay for University.

It’s a flawless system.

Now thats paying it back with interest.

What’s the age cut off for old ?

Just curious…

1 Like

If you’re asking that question you’re probably old af

3 Likes

If you saw Essendons last premiership you’re old.

2 Likes

Ruthlessness and a killer desire to win.

does your mum still call you salami?

1 Like

Trying to avoid repetition, this was a pretty good failure of a season. Richmond missed finals in 2016.

I want the club doing what it can to get us more games at the 'G at a minimum and preferably Jolimont as our home ground. Swap homes with the *lues perhaps? We were the seocnd club to play at East Melbourne, we have to get better there.

The loss to our crumbling rival was like a mini-99. I was dubious about extending Woosh’s contract so early but admit that it meant when things were at their worst, some pressure had already been alleviated.

Finishing 3 spots lower on the ladder than last year (though 2% worse only) might improve our draw a little.

We tend to see ourselves as far better than Port, who finished just higher than us, and I can see the sense. We are rising and they are falling. What the gloomers give little value to is the trajectory. Imagine if we dominated the first half of the season then fell backwards. We would be considered past it, an emigration club.

Now let’s keep that trajectory going. I think we can ignore pre-season wins and losses, but not the ridiculous thrashing Richmond gave us. If there is a new resilience, it cannot bend so easily. Fly up!

2 Likes

Yeah I hope we play the top 4 twice again.
We tend to fair better than the bottom 4 lol.

You would be confident! Which might lead to skipping a few lectures early, then a lot of lectures, then phoning in the assignment and doing terribly, and then trying to pull it all together for the exam and you make up ground but not enough ground and then you end up failing, with the exact same mark, AGAIN.

This is not at all based on a true story, nope, not at all

7 Likes

Eleventhton

So next year we’ll only get one of Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn twice. Be interesting to see who it is.

You’d think we’d be nearly certainties to get Carlton twice.

The other 3 double ups will depend a little bit on the first week of finals but they will come from:

North
Adelaide
Port
Geelong or Melbourne
Sydney or GWS.

I’d guess we’ll get:

• Adelaide seeing as we had Port twice this year
  • Sydney or GWS (basically whoever loses tbeir final)
  • hopefully North

Hope we don’t get Carlton twice - one sh*tful loss a year is enough.
Haven’t played Melbourne twice in a season since about 2000.

Usually Essendon lose about six of the last eight as they limp to the season’s end.

2018’s finish to the season was obviously much better and gives everyone optimism for 2019.
Anything less than at least one finals win next year will be a failed year.

1 Like

Before the start of the season I predicted that we would end up 10th. So for me I guess that means the season was a fail and I’m a Gloomer.

We’ll get Collingwood and Carlton twice from the top and bottom brackets for certain. Which is good as we’d avoid Richmond or Hawthorn twice.

Hooker played back all year, Walla kicked almost the same amount of goals so didn’t go backwards, Green was initially injured then severly out of form, while Stewart went backwards as the number 1 forward so was dropped. While Fanta played a fair few games, his season was badly impacted by consistent injuries.

Our main 2 attacks forward were JD and Hooker: JD was out all year and Hooker was playing back all year, so we were forced to do a makeshift forwardline of Smack and Brown.

Don’t downplay how much the injuries impacted our frowardline just so you can play with your bias.

1 Like