2019 March 7th 4pm Practice Hitout vs Geelong GMHBA stadium

The McKernan Vs Brown debate is an interesting one. They both bring very different game styles, but play similar positions. McKernan is very Dangerous deep fwd. Browns work rate makes him very dangerous at CHF.

Smack is best suited to FF, Brown CHF. I honestly think both Smack and Brown bring more to the party then Joe at the moment. But lets be real Joe will be playing, and probably should be.

Amro, and Harts have shown bugger all in the JLT. So id play Brown down back on the 2nd tall fwd. Smack and Joe to play fwd. Hurley to take the best fwd, and Frances to play the intercept role.

4 Likes

Yes I would do the same.

One other thing about Smack is the taking the ball from the ruck rule will also help him significantly as he won’t have to rely solely on jumping over bigger ruckman but can outbody them instead, which he already shown himself capable of several times this year.

But, but, but…then where do you play Stewart?:flushed::joy:

Joe was quiet effective and did this a couple of times in last nights match I noticed. One set up a goal.

1 Like

Has anyone got any information on the VFL game played at Geelong yesterday. I would be interested to know how the boys went. I understand we won easily.
I believe Hams and Clarke played half a game.

1 Like

Centre Clearances 18 - 9 win but totally ineffectual. except for 1 goal I think Brown got
6-6-6 rule should help us.
Send smack forward.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t really see it as a competition between the two. I see Brown as a link-up tall similar to Adelaide’s Lynch, whereas McKernan is more of a crash and bash stay home forward (when not rucking of course).

I don’t think they play the same roles, so whether they get a game should depend on our setup and how they go compared to other players.

3 Likes

For some reason I see Brown as the one winning an actual bake-off.

4 Likes

Ummmmm… this thread does?

1 Like

There is a full thread in the Essendon VFL section

edit - whoops sorry I forgot we were here already!

1 Like

The next VFL practice match is at Crazyburn Saturday 23/3.

I would like to think there will be some kind of intraclub at the hangar next weekend

6 Likes

No.

Have you tried Brown’s upside down cake? I think not

1 Like

I get your assessment, but you’ve rated Brown as a CHF, then made no argument as to why you put him in defence. Your logic was based on his danger as a CHF.

As you were at the vfl win who would you put in your bests Mr Cousins?

I don’t tend to do that, but given there were limited reports available - Shaun McKernan was absolutely outstanding, he was my best. Stewy was also very good up forward and Houla was on fire particularly early - and not just kicking goals. Jayden got a nasty corkie but did some good things.
Thatch was fantastic down back and spent a lot of time on Buzza who’s a good player, he was super impressive. Thought Mynott was sensational through the middle, while Longy was excellent around the ground and used it well. Lots of other very good players, but they were probably my standouts.

Quick note for a couple of VFL listed guys in Dale Marshall who I thought showed plenty, and Liam ‘Bluey’ McKenna who’s going to be a terrific pickup for us as a big strong bodied mid.

28 Likes

Thanks Paul…it’s great to get an inside view from the club.

4 Likes

The only problem with this is… Brown isn’t a great defender. Surely that hasn’t slipped anybodies mind yet? It wasn’t all that long ago when everybody wanted him dropped when he was playing in defence. And he’s a better forward than Smack. (i repeat, even though they play differently)

On that logic why not try Smack back? At least we don’t know whether he’s bad at it or not.

Why do you keep saying that Brown is better than Smack?

Smack out performed him last year and was far more vital to our structure.

You say that the club likes Joe deep forward but there is no evidence of that and his best performances have been mostly playing CHF where has room to run.

You are making stuff up to support your argument.