2020 Board Election

Lloyd, Hird, Fletcher don’t see the whole salary cap nor are they privy to the deals that other players are on and and their own deals like all players would have been negotiated between the club and the relevant player managers.

The failure was on the club and admin who’s responsibility it is to manage the list and the cap.

Essendon mismanagement of the cap was the cautionary tale from which all successful clubs thereafter learned from.

Greed from Fletcher? He was always signed up with a minimum of fuss, in fact Fletcher re signings probably only became news once he was 35 and playing on 1yr deals.

When his lips moved, BS came out !!

100 % Peter Jackson is to blame. No idea about Lloyd and Fletcher contract, though I never saw greed in any of them. If Hird was greedy he could have accepted any of the incredible offers that came his way for years. He was not the highest paid player, and money was not an issue ever for him.

In any case, the Club CEO is responsible to the Board for making sure that finances are correct and all the rules followed.

4 Likes

Me too, thank you for saying what I am thinking.

Incorrect? If Hird and Lloyd were not highest earners who were? Hird said himself he made club pay for previous lower wage .

If he said that maybe that was when he was paid $1 milliion to coach.

From 2000 to 2003, Hird (and Mark Mercuri) took salary cuts each year for the Club to remain under the salary cap. To accuse him of greed is nonsense.

He amassed his fortune because from before they were married Tania looked after the money.

5 Likes

He was an assistant coach with us during the saga.

@seer The more you post the more convinced I am to vote for Sheedy and Wellman.

5 Likes

So you think all going well. Nothing to see here.

In response. The only reason I withdrew from Blitz last time was that some blitzers got very personal and nasty which put me off the forum. I have been looking just not commenting. Seems to be a more open approach now and I intend to stay involved. Obviously much of the Board discussion at the table is confidential but I am always open to EFC member and supporter feedback. Have actually set up a dedicated email account so I don’t miss anything.
[email protected]
Every member is a stakeholder in the club and deserves to valued and listened to.

6 Likes

What’s your retrospective view on the commissioning of the Ziggy Report ?

I really don’t agree with your analysis of the past. Especially your opinion of past champion players and Kevin Sheedy.
The noise coming from the club since Sheeds has been brought onto the Board has changed for the better… I am happy to keep him there.

4 Likes

Thankyou for civil response. Surely we are entitled to write what we think. We lost first XV111 players Hardwick, Caracella, Jacobs, Heffernan because some players hogged the salary cap. It was not Hird, Lloyd and Fletcher? Geelong and Hawthorn we were not. Did not have that character. The beginning of the end.

Sheedy has stated he stayed too long. Look at his last SEVEN years. Still he whinged about ill-treatment. SELFISH. Even had his own secretary, at the club expense, doing his private talk bookings.

I often wonder what may have been if we had not signed up Sheedy for another 3 years. If we had of started with a new coach in 2004 and not kept topping up.

You can’t blame the players for salary cap mismanagement. It’s not their role. Their role is to play football.
There are other highly paid people within the club to manage the salary cap.
If that they didn’t is a failure anywhere, is it of the CEO and the board. Nothing to do with the players.

2 Likes

I agree with that.

All players sign their contracts in good faith (as does the club I expect).

My understanding is that contracts were signed and then it turned out that the Salary Cap was not as high as expected…that led to shedding players.

All of this happened almost 20 years ago…it’s not relevant to today.

Sheedy staying too long is also irrelevant (imo)…he’s been gone for 13 years (as coach) so I fail to see how our current problems can be attributed to him. In fact his return to the club has been one of the few bright moments in recent years…the majority of supporters love him…and it’s clear that he still loves the club.

4 Likes

Sheedy is a visionary, and football genius. I have 2 EFC people on my wall, and he is one of them.

He is not board member material.

Having stated that, at least I know that he has the EFC best interests in mind. That’s a hell of a lot more than I can say for most of the other people involved with our club who seem very willing to suckle at the teat of the AFL.

For that reason alone he will always have my vote.

1 Like

I have never voted in an Essendon Board election, but I am going to vote this time and I will vote for Kevin Sheedy and Sean Wellman. I have two reasons, one positive and one negative.

The positive reason is this. I am very impressed by Paul Brasher. He wants Sheedy and Wellman on the Board, and I am willing at this stage to trust his judgment. The steps he is taking may come to nothing, and Sheedy and Wellman may turn out to be disastrous appointments, but Brasher knows them both well and thinks that they both have valuable contributions to make, and I am willing to vote for those two for that reason.

The negative reason is that while the two other candidates seem like decent people and they are obviously passionate supporters, I am not aware of anything in their backgrounds that suggests that they have any particular expertise to bring to the Board.

Others may disagree and believe that “grass roots” supporters are a necessary element of a good Board. That’s fine, any member can vote for any candidate, but I’m voting for people who know about football.

5 Likes

i reckon this fits wellman to a T.

3 Likes