2020 Board Election

You need to understand my issue.
However I don’t think anyone needed to be appointed for such a short period. I believe it should have gone straight to an election.

There is no way the club would allow Kevin Sheedy to run for a board election unsanctioned. The media would have a field day. So they kill two birds with one stone, get Sheedy with smoke and mirrors and tie up an elected seat for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

Democracy sucks when you’re running against a popular person.

1 Like

You are such a cynic. How is it smoke and mirrors when it when it is all done accrodinf to the rules ?

What a strange statement. the “club” has no rights to sanction or not sanction anyone to run for the board election, as long as they are eligible. The biggest issue is in my view is the decdied lack of interest in voting at Board elections. I guess though it tells us something about what Members actually care about.

1 Like

We disagree on a lot but you’re spot on re lack of interest.

Tanner should’ve resigned his position and Sheedy moved into that. I see no reason for Tanner to stay. I look at what Brasher is doing in his early days and only ask what was Tanner doing about these things while at the helm? Good luck to both Gai and Garry, I admire your fortitude for standing against the two incumbents who many would think are a Monty to be re-elected, many other candidates were likely dissuaded by the Sheedy appointment. I sincerely hope at least one of you are successful.

4 Likes

I understand both sides of the coin here. Bacchus is technically correct, the process went within the guidelines of the constitution, whether that’s right or wrong is another matter entirely. However, I do agree how this looks to the outside (which I think is Scorpio & Darli’s point) that the club knew Sheedy would romp in an election and appointed him to fill a casual vacancy. That process can appear to the outside as though they’ve essentially turned an elected position into an appointed position. Whilst I see that point of view and understand why people hold it, ultimately I don’t think it would’ve made a difference as I believe as soon as K Sheedy was seen on a ballot paper, the other candidates were essentially running for one seat which I guess is what happened in 2017? When Wellman nominated against Katie and Paul as the incumbents. As it turned out Paul lost his seat to Wellman. I certainly hope one of these candidates can win Wellman’s seat. I think we need some change at board level.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting Garry. I have no doubt both yourself and Gai are well intentioned and true to your word. I will pose this question to Gai as well in the interest of fairness, but over the years here at Blitz, we’ve seen many candidates come on here declaring their intentions to run for board positions and try to rally the troops so to speak in order to win their seat. Sometimes they’re successful, sometimes they’re not but we all have a common interest here and you mention fan engagement in your opening spiel. With that in mind, do you intend to be a regular contributor here going forward? How do you plan on ensuring that at board level?

Most of the unsuccessful candidates are rarely seen or heard from here again post election but Paul and Katie have been true to their word in staying engaged in the blitz community. We know that there’s only so much that can be said but I feel having that connection to the board here where we can express our views and hopefully have a sympathetic ear take it on and if the appropriate forum arises have it put forward is a powerful tool to have at your disposal. I wish you luck in your pursuit of a board seat.

2 Likes

Sheedy and Wellman are two of the boys’ club who have us in this mess. A very disgruntled 36 year member. It’s time for a change.

1 Like

Sheeds was so much in the boys’ club that Jackson sacked him and replaced him with Knights.

How did that work out?

Sheeds is still the best asset the Club has and I would rather have him and Wellman on the Board rather than some of the know nothing corp types that have been parachuted in allegedly because their corporate experience will bring untold wealth.

Unlike Sheeds who has invented every iconic game the Club plays every year and makes a fortune for the Bombers and the AFL.

He also takes on the media and does not let them get away with the usual tripe they dish out - again unlike the corp types.

5 Likes

Sheedy last 7 years were 2, 5, 6, 6,13, 15, 12 and you apostles think he was hardly done by. Do you think a successful club would allow that decline? Mr selfish refused to do a friendly transition out, losing many members in the process. Wanted games record coach and to put my children through private school.

As for Wellman … was not he on the board that allowed saga to happen? Then skulked away when heat came on. Back again? Does he have the vigilance and judgement we need? He was a great backman yes. Has zero correlation with being a valuable board member.

Steady on .

In 2000 Sheeds was 53 and his kids were already past school age. Save your angst for Peter Jackson who was the one who screwed the Club over after 2001.

And if you have ever met Sheeds and talked frankly with him, as he always does, you will find he is not a “boys club” sort of bloke. He does things and makes decision on merit.

Do disrespect to any candidates, but Kevin Sheedy will make a great contribution to our Board and we are better off with him there. Not so sure about Wellman or Madden, but there is no conspiracy here, and the vote is democratic.

4 Likes

Wellman was first elected to The Board December 2017.
You might be thinking of the Pres (2011) and Madden (2013) who were around when many ignominious saga related Board decisions were made.

Can specifically remember Jackson saying this when announcing Sheedy’s extra year on last contract. He must have meant to complete University for all his children. Hope they all graduated. Would only be a priority for this club. Very expensive cost to EFC members.

Did Sheedy retire as a staff member when he went onto the board?

I don’t want Sheedy there.

2 Likes

He wasn’t a staff member apparently. He consulted through his company. Soo dodgy at

So we blame Jackson for salary cap blowout? Lloyd, Hird and Fletcher greed have anything to do with it? Jackson giving in to EFC icons. Difficult position for him I would have thought. Great teams Hawks and Cats shared the spoils. Not EFC leaders.

That says it all really.

Good observation re Madden. Whenever he speaks seems to be a lot of I. Should not be anywhere near EFC board given his board history and lack of governance. Has achieved zero, in fact we have gone backwards since his arrival in 2013.