2020 Draft Watch (Part 1)

He’s the one I think we really need. Sad we are going to miss out by 1 or 2 picks.

1 Like

Perkins struggles reading the play, Parish, Oliver & Phillips all read the play really well. Perkins just gets lost on the footy field and doesn’t just dig into congestion to find the ball just sits on the outside of it hoping for a team mate to win it.

Amazing watching a player who plays such good football not be rated because of height or speed, I really like players who let their footballing ability do the talking.
Gulden could be Gaff like in mind, body and skill but still not rated highly.
The other night I pulled a vic country vs vic metro tape from Heppell draft year and watch an underage player by the name of Smith kick a lazy 3 goals and play a great little game of footy, watched Gaff tear it up, both have had excellent careers.
Physically they both have nothing going for them.

1 Like

Welcome to modern football :joy:

1 Like

@THE_DON1 any chance we are looking at Heath Chapman as a half-back to replace McKenna or Saad?

Think I read in one write-up that some are thinking he’ll develop into a wing

He is very much like another Ridley, high volume rebound defender who reads the play well. Although he is a lot like what we already have with Ridley, Francis, Gleeson ect. Great kid and a hard worker though, I’m not sure he is a top 10 pick though.

1 Like

I know who want footballers when the can get athletes like Laverde.

You shut your ■■■■■ mouth.

2 Likes

Our development programs don’t allow players to improve much after their drafted.

We place too much emphasis on who we could have picked, in the past… when there is no way those players would be the same player had they been drafted by Essendon.

1 Like

Back in my 18yo year (Carlisle draft) and around that time, calder cannons only recruited players over a certain height no matter what. There were players i played against that were very short but jeez they were very good footballers who didn’t even get a look in because of their rule they stuck by - height. There were players getting picked just cause they were tall but were below average footballers and they’d just hope they could turn them into something and be drafted. Furthest I got was to the 3rd round of cannons I wasn’t tall or short just average height but could kick goals and had sticky mitts!

6 Likes

I didn’t ask about Reef specifically, so your contact may have greater intel in that regard.

I ended up having a decent yarn with my mate as I found it all pretty fascinating. Asked them about how they deal with poorer endurance athletes at his club and if they’re forever destined to be crap aerobically.

‘It’s nature and nurture so [the athlete] would have genetic limitations but the application should improve it enough to reach a minimum AFL standard. Some blokes are better repeat speed than endurance eg [a big body inside mid at their club] and our talls, so they will do 10 x 200m instead of a 2km TT for their ‘endurance’ test’

Sounds like those types of players never become Phar Lap, but there are contingencies in place to get them to a required level without alleviating their existing strengths. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

@THE_DON1

Hi Mate really love your work and all your insights. With 3 Top picks we should smash it out of the Park this year, I reckon this draft will set us up for years.

That said would you please tell me your thoughts if we are a chance of nailing any of

McInnes, Philips, Bruhn, Perkins as our inside mids who should we get.

And,

I can’t split Cox and Reid for KPP , who is best for us in your view?

Cheers keep up the great work

Chapman is the kid with the special needs brother correct? I hope he gets picked by Freo tbh

Perkins 2019…2020

25 Likes

Here mate. I posted this a few years ago as some were interested. You may find interesting and could cross reference with your mate.

4 Likes

Specimen. Keep him away from Gerard Healy

5 Likes

Very true

2 more years and Perk will be Langford size.

2 Likes

The Norther Knights have a very similar philosophy from what I saw over recent years.

It probably helps to explain the apparent decline in skill level at AFL level.

1 Like

Look, I like Langford as much as most of us but I hope Perkins( if we get him) finds the ball more than Langford.

Langford in my mind is not a mid as much as he is trying to be. He doesn’t find the ball anywhere near as much as he should.
I wish he was played as high forward where he played his junior football, with just occasional bursts in the midfield.

3 Likes