2020 List changes

Geez that Dreamtime game has been responsible for a few threads.

1 Like

To start with sack the strength and conditioning staff and try and throw a heap of money to try and get hawthorns strength and conditioning staff. Burgoyne, Omeara, Scully to name a few that were supposedly cooked and now look at them. Smith and Daniher would probably still be playing if they were at the hawks.

Heā€™s been poached by Carlton already.

Aah well. There goes that plan. Damn it.

This might be harsh but surely Houluhan is gone. Seriously has limited impact in almost every game, has struggled for form and gets less ball than Dalgliesh used to. Last month heā€™s got to 10 disposals once with 6, 7 and 9 the others with no goals. Heā€™s made slight improvement this year but he looks miles off.

2 Likes

Letā€™s play him in the VFL for the next 5 years and see if he improves

3 Likes

One of the many reasons IMO we need change in both the list mgt and development functions within the club.

I think we have about half a dozen players with really poor kicking techniques and then another dozen of the slam it on the boot types.

Then we have young bloke in Ridley that has fantastic technique and consistently makes great decisions under pressure playing in the VFL.

One of the list teams fatal flaws.

The evidence suggests they are more than willing to select poor to barely average kicks and back the development program to improve them.

Problem is nobody ever seems to really improve.

Jobe stands out like the proverbial but are there others?

One of the numerous reasons I suspect the list is not quite as good as many believe it is.

2 Likes

Jobes kicking by career end was ok, improved but hardly elite

Theyā€™ll have Jon Patton from GWS before this yearā€™s trade period ends. And probably for a half eaten Mars bar, packet of burger rings and flat lemon, lime & soda.

1 Like

Our list has serious problems in the ruck department.

Bell chambers will be flogged to death this season. Already carrying an injury and will struggle to round 23 if lucky. I reckon he has prob 1 year left maybe 2.

Draper a good long term prospect and should be our number 1 for 10 years but he still needed developing this year. 2020 will be a development year now meaning 2021 is a best case scenario for him to take the number 1 ruck spot.

Clarke is just putrid.

Then there isā€¦ Nobody.

Iā€™m amazed we didnā€™t take a ruck in the. Midseason draft. Not because of immediate needs but because of long term needs. Where do we find a ruckman. We obviously wanted knoll but is there nobody else?

Do we trade for one? Who? And what could we offer?

We should be able to pick up a backup ruck as a DFA at years end, but we would still need to draft another development ruck/kpf I think. Hopefully, Draperā€™s knee doesnā€™t cause him to lose any mobility.

Bowman has the potential to be a David Hale type, Iā€™m disappointed we didnā€™t take him in the MSD and give ourselves 6 months to see exactly what he has to offer.

2 Likes

not only that, structurally we need young key forwards (x2), a key back (at least 1) plus our midfield never ā€˜got thereā€™.

What am I expecting? we take a hbf come midfielder of course!

I feel our list build is in utter shambles.

1 Like

The talk was we were going to take some South Aussie guy, I wonder why they changed their minds. He was a ruckman.

Would not be surprised to see Tbell retire sooner than expected.

He was taken before us by the Swans

1 Like

The way he plays heā€™s already checked out and probably since the saga. Having no competition for his spot doesnā€™t help either.

Hard to argue with any of those (though I think our pathetic player development stagnated Hartley -thatā€™s an argument for another day thoughā€¦). Would add Houlahan.
We need to get back into this draft, and that will take a sacrifice with currency unfortunately - someone bigger than Zaharakis. It wonā€™t be popular but Iā€™d nominate Hurleyā€¦

1 Like

Clark, Mutch, Houlahan, Mynott all need to go. These guys are all as vanilla as our Bryce Carroll, Kade Klemke days. Good one dodoro

What does Hurls get us in a trade? My view was to trade him three years ago when he had currency. Now you might sneak a second rounder for him.

1 Like