2020 trade spec part 4

Combined with last year’s 1st …yes.

Thats not the same thing though.

1 Like

A potential top 4 pick in a very good draft for Dunkley isn’t worth it imo and I’m glad the club felt the same way.

22 Likes

I agree with this. I do think with Dunkley we coulda done better. But I think the dogs were determined to hold us to ransom.

And fair enough, we did the same over Daniher.

I think JD has a higher value to a side than Dunks. Because there’s a few more Dunks out there you can target.

Would you trade our 2022 first round pick for Dunkley?

Ask me again at the end of the year, if we are on the verge of the spoon then no not a chance

2 Likes

If Dunkley returns to his 2019 form he certainly would be worth it, given how young he is. Legit top 10 player in the comp

But anyway my point was less about Dunkley’s worth straight up, but more about Dodoro and co. getting this strategically very wrong.

If you are going to chase someone, you are going to need to have a pretty good idea that you can get him in a trade, which requires you having assets that other team wants. We knew that Doggies were going to match a bid at either 1 or 2 on Jamarra, so we should’ve easily been able to conclude that a 2020 first (unless it was pick 1 or 2) would be of no value to the Dogs at all really, and hence they would always reject our offer.

So you could then further conclude that in trade negotiations, Doggies are obviously going to ask for our future first (or players I guess). But Dodoro said publicly that our future first was never on the table (for the reasons you say probably), so therefore, we shouldn’t have chased Dunkley in the first place.

4 Likes

Noooooo!!!

I drafted him into my DT as a Captaincy option on the theory they’d put him back in the middle. I didn’t consider that Bevo might be an idiot.

Obviously good for EFC though…

Next year he’s a restricted FA.

1 Like

We don’t know what was done. Those in the know seemed to say in the threads that the Doggies asking price increased from the initial positions. That we almost had a 3 way deal done and then they pulled out because they realised they could do Collingwood over on their own.

Maybe Dodoro & co never had a realistic view. Or maybe the Bulldogs always wanted to string us along and said they’d take Y and then moved to want Y+X if we started moving.

We don’t really know.

4 Likes

If he ends up getting dropped or played out of position again this year…I reckon there is a very good chance he only costs a 2nd rounder. Why give up a first rounder for someone his own coach doesn’t particularly rate

3 Likes

The fascination with giving WB pick 7 baffles me. Firstly (as @Tyler suggested before me), it would have been absorbed for a JUH bid.

Secondly - let’s just say they did end up with 7 from us and wanted to on trade - do you think they would have gotten fair value? They had no leverage with trade partners as other teams would have known that WB would be be sitting with a worthless pick if they didn’t satisfy their demands.

Only way it was ever going to work was if we gave up our ‘21 first - which I think we can all agree are glad we didn’t.

We want Bevo to keep tanking his value this year (good start so far) to have another crack come season end.

1 Like

Exactly what I’ve been saying.

Beveridge once again showing his superb man management skills. What a twat.

1 Like

He’s nowhere near that level.

Top 50, maybe.

6 Likes

He really thinks he is some kind of guru.

1 Like

Bevo wants to win a flag in 2021. They have a chance, we don’t. He’s putting the acid on Josh to perform and not sulk about how much inside mid time he gets or whether he has to take a few hitouts for the team. Telling your players the competition is hot for a place in the best 22 is standard coaching practice.

You boys can dream about being a premiership coach and if it’s a dream based on truth you’ll have the footy cred equal to the crud stuck in bevo’s skatebord shoes.

If Dunks asks to leave a 2nd time the deal will get done, and if Dunks has a good year his market value will be high.

1 Like

Can’t see Dunks value going higher, the opportunity to play to his full potential just isn’t there at the dogs.

2 Likes

Tom Liberatore turns 29 in may

I would trade Libba and then Dunkley can have his mid field spot

1 Like

It also comes down to where we expect to finish in 2022, if we are looking certainties to finish bottom 5 in 2022 then I’d be reluctant to even trade that in a straight swap for Dunkley.

I can’t see either davey being top 5 picks based solely on the fact that they’re both projecting as flankers/wing more than the genuine modern day elite wingman who can be expected to play well on the inside too

Precisely.