2020 trade spec part 4

I think AFL announced that next year the first 20 picks would be protected, IE, clubs can’t match other clubs’ bid for academy players, but the rule won’t apply to father & sons though.

1 Like

Agree he’s probably not top 10 but he would be in the 20 from his 2019 form.
I really don’t think people realise just how bloody good he was.

Routinely putting up 35 touch 5+ clearances and 10 + tackle games.
There’s not more than 20 players in the comp that can do that.

He literally typifies what an inside mid should be.

1 Like

I can understand any club backing themselves in to keep a very good, quite young player, under almost any circumstances.

They clearly didn’t want to trade last year, at any price.
Fine.
They may rue that decision, they may not.

1 Like

He’s a very very very good clearance winner and… that’s about it.
And as soon as he had to adjust his role, he did SFA. Ordinary runner, disposal just OK, fairly one dimensional.

Nowhere near the top 20.

1 Like

Hes a great defensive midfielder too,
His tackle numbers were outstanding, and most of the top inside midfielders in the comp have just ordinary disposal.

I dont think you rate him fairly but I suppose thats a subjective thing, each to their own!

1 Like

So he’s a good runner, and good defensively, and a good kick, and a very good clearance winner… and they won’t play him in midfield for… reasons??

1 Like

Dunkley’s value is overplayed because we’ve been so poor at developing inside mids for so long that any mid with a big body that can win clearances is an elite player in our eyes as if nothing else matters. Dogs know that, which is why they asked for two firsts for a player that can’t even crack their midfield.

The truth however is that no other club would even entertain giving two firsts for a player like Dunkley. None. Even Tom Mitchell, who was better than Dunkley at the time he was traded, went for pick 14.

Sit back, relax and watch Bevo diminish Dunkley’s value. They just have too much talent in that midfield.

4 Likes

Dunkley finished 2nd in the Dogs bnf in 2019 and polled 15 Brownlow votes as well as finishing 10th in the coaches votes.

Also managed to hit the scoreboard with 11 goals.

Yeah he’s ordinary.

5 Likes

Im not sure the politics around it,
But KM said it best.
He was phenomenal in 2019.

Think it was more that they had others capable of playing that role but were lacking in areas in which they thought he could help them in. And im not sure the fact that an inside midfielder cant play as a ruckman/tall forward is a valid criticism of his game.

But as I said, its a subjective opinion.

Dogs rated him as their second best player in 2019.
Coaches rated him as the 10th best player in the comp, polled 15 brownlow votes but because we didnt snag him last year he’s suddenly no good and the dogs coaches dont rate him lmao.

3 Likes

Dunkley was injured in round 3 against GWS and missed the following 6 matches in a shortened season.

1 Like

Yeah I forgot he hurt his shoulder. There ya go.

He is my favourite non essendon player in the comp,
I watched him closely in 2019 and was blown away almost every game and was personally at the game when they thrashed us and Dunkley had more touches than our whole midfield did in the 1st qtr.

I know how good he is.

1 Like

Syndesmosis ankle injury.

Oh I thought it was a shoulder!

1 Like

3 steps in getting Dunks:

1. Asks for trade to Essendon.
  2. Already caught EsSyndon Mosis.
  3. Signs to play with Essendon.
1 Like

Oh really?

3 Likes

Shut up you, he’s trash.
Dyson and a third rounder.

3 Likes

Gleeson and an exchange of late picks

5 Likes

Because they are morons, that why people are criticising there decision to keep him and trade treloar in. It makes no sense and they are wasting his talent in the ruck or at half forward.

35 touches 8 tackles 5 clearances
36 touches 8 tackles 10 clearances
35 touches 15 tackles 9 clearances
38 touches 5 tackles 8 clearances
31 touches 10 tackles 8 clearances

Probably his 5 best games for 2019.
Those are monster numbers, we dont have a single midfielder that is capable of doing that.
I cant see how anyone thinks he is over rated. Yes he probably wasn’t worth what they were asking, but he is absolutely a must get if he asks again to come to us this year.

6 Likes