2021 Best 22 . Round 10, Nice and settled

Well… I guess the awfulness of our back line will be balanced out by the terribleness of our forward line…

Currently the best I can come up with is:

Guelfi, Hooker, Ambrose
Ridley, Hurley, Redman

Langford, Merrett, Ham
Draper, McGrath, Shiel

Parish, Stewart, Zaharakis
Walla, 2MP, Stringer

Laverde, Heppell, Smith, Snelling

This will change considerably if we acquire Dunkley and Caldwell. Really doesn’t fill me with confidence at the moment but it is what it is.

1 Like

I’ve never liked guelfi back. It doesn’t suit his instincts, he just wants to attack contests. Redman showed promise as a defender but I think his instincts are similar. I think they could both enhance our pressure and contest work in the front half. Defenders farting around with it in the backline will know about it when Redman catches up with them. I think both have a few more tricks than Snelling too.

Yawn

there is absolutely no way we can go into round 1 with hooker & Hurley in the same backline. I’ll spew up if we do

3 Likes

Think about it more. Then think about them getting torched by crafty small forwards. Both will help us keep the ball in our half better than Fanta ever did (or Zaka). Think Castagna and Butler.

I’m going to push this barrow all of next season unless they both suddenly become really good defenders.

Guelfi and Redman forward, deep down you all know I’m right.

Disco needs to hit up Frankston for some hard nosed, disciplined, small defenders.

1 Like

Trust me, I would rather go in with BZT and Ambrose :joy:

I just think at this stage they are probably our ‘best’ KPD options. Ambrose is slightly undersized and BZT isn’t quite ready. I think there’s a good chance we play BZT, we need to get more games into him. Either way, I can see at least one if not both of Hooker and Hurley as mainstays in our defence in 2021.

I really really hope we don’t. They’re both cooked as defenders, we need to move forward and find solutions

3 Likes

He’s no Guelfi.

You can at least rely on guelfi to attack every contest like it’s his last and smother like a mad man

Your only as good as your last game, and Zakas last game against the suns he was good at half forward.

I prefer Guelfi in defence or wing or bench as 7th defender/utility

Why are you leaving out Hird! You won’t be by round 1

1 Like

Where do you have Hird.
I have him as the small defender, based on his soccer defensive background, and being 180cm.
Guessing like a Mark Johnson / Andrew McGrath type start as a lock down defender and transition into a midfielder.

I have no idea really. You’re probably right. He’s obviously a long shot, but I’m on the bandwagon. Who better to be part of turning us around than a Hird!

I really want Johnson to make it as well.

Havent had much success lately with our father sons, so maybe trying other clubs father sons will help . (Dunkley+Johnson) and annoy Bin chickens, Doggies and Lions supporters.

2 Likes

Geez that is grim.

Can clearly see why we are loading up on mids with such strong bookends …

2 Likes

Goddards best case scenario 22 coming up.
b: Redman Ambrose Francis
hb: Ridley Hooker Heppell
c: Zaharakis McGrath Merrett
hf: Langford Hurley Smith
f: Walla Wright Stringer
R:Draper Dunkley Shiel
int: Parish (mid/fwd), Caldwell (mid/fwd), Laverde(fwd) Gleeson (def)

A good few years to restock, we probably won’t be much worse than we were in 2020.
More good picks.

So would Townsend, or Snelling, or Clarke. I don’t get the fascination.

Their crabby ball movement kills us, and we had that balance way off in 2020 - far too many (very limited) defensive types.
Never gave our forwards any chance of a fast contest.

We still need guys to run and present and make options and look to carry & move the ball.