2021 Essendon VFL discussion thread - 22(!) teams, 3 states, 16 rounds

Everyone mentioned except the volunteers. Who’d have thunk it :innocent:

Agree… the NT should have a team in the Sanfl. It makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Box Hill have confirmed that they are playing a VFL practice game against us at the Hanger on Sat 20th March

9 Likes

So not a double-header with the women (on Sunday 21st at the Hangar).

has the vfl fixture been released yet?

Nope

Good to know there is a practice game in the calendar for the 20th march.

I wonder if we have one this weekend at all? A fair few of the other AFL clubs had VFL practice matches this weekend just past too

If you’re thinking about getting a better run for some AFL-listed players, that presumably would not be allowed this coming weekend.

1 Like

Any word on games at Aspley ( I live around the corner)? Just found out they are in the VFL this year. Pleeeeeeeeeese tell me Essendon play there!?

Any idea when?

How good would it be to have a VFL/AFL double header at the Gabba (Round 5 AFL) for a VFL season opener!

3 Likes

unfortunately no. I hope it would be soon.

1 Like

That would be bloody amazing.

I’m going to start lobbying the people I know that can make that happen (which is absolutely nobody I know).

1 Like

Cross your fingers: there are more teams than there are rounds, so there’s a decent chance you’ll miss out.

1 Like
13 Likes

I’m guessing the following AFL players would be playing in the VFL tonight:

Backs: Hird, Zerk, Brand, Gleeson, Reid, Redman
Mids: Byran, Cutler, (Guelfi? if fit)
Forwards: Eyre, Perkins, Johnson, Waterman

Injured/rehab:
Stewart
Hurls
Ambrose
Stringer
Zaka
McBride
Clarke
Phillips
Mozzie
Baldwin

1 Like

Not sure of the rules, but I think Gleeson Bryan & maybe Waterman would be ineligible because they’ve played AFL preseason games.
Think there’s a restriction based on who hasn’t played at all.
So maybe Stringer gets a managed time run?

5pm??? If I’d known that I’d have kept my evening free and cut out of work early. Would have been good to see.

Rats rats rats.

Is redman a chance?

Reid, Hird and Johnson watch please if crowds allowed.

Also if those guys ineligible Perkins will be ineligible too.

bit rough for the guys who have only played quarters/halfs at afl level like Waterman and Perkins.

Not sure of the exact rules, but I know it’s part of the Players association rules that AFL players must have the weekend off prior to round one. So maybe playing on the Friday is okay, especially as it’s only a practice game. It would just be like them having a training run on a Friday I assume.