2021 Essendon VFL discussion thread - 22(!) teams, 3 states, 16 rounds

Surely they’d return. The only way they wouldn’t would be if they changed to having an AFL reserves comp. but surely that’s less likely than ever after this year

They are saying they will return but if lists get cut next year where will these players come from? Port are also in the AFL’s pocket and have no money so may not be able to field a side

I don’t believe lists will be cut. For starters I think it’s a stupid idea. I think it’s just another stupid idea the AFL are floating publicly but in the end they won’t go through with it

1 Like

Great that a lot of these players will filter back to local leagues.

At the end of the day going forward, there must a viable second tier competition for listed AFL players - I am struggling to think of another league in the world where you play no competitive games if YOU are not selected in the senior team.

You are overlooking the AFL’s hero model - the NFL. I don’t believe their reserve players play actual games. So if it’s good enough for the NFL then it’s good enough for Gill and his cronies.

A long time ago the thirds got scrapped for the TAC. Is it the long term goal for the VFL comp to die or to be delinked from an AFL club like Hawthorn has done with Box Hill?

Soccer players can be benched for weeks on end without playing a competitive game. Sometimes months.

1 Like

If the AFL season is as rapid fire as we are lead to believe it will be, the rate of player attrition will increase and many of these depth players will get a chance to make appearances in the AFL. As for development players like the 2 new Irish blokes and the new kids, it will definitely retard their development

Most top flight soccer teams have reserves or they can loan out players - I fail to see how Hird, Crauford and the two Irish players will develop with only scratch matches - Think the NFL players may have a summer league or even play in Canada or europe in the off-season.

Yes they do have that option but the point was that it doesn’t always work that way. I agree though that particularly in the case of the Irish players it’s not ideal. I guess they will get the opportunity to bulk up a bit and work on their skills.

The AL flex their muscles to ensure everyone knows, they are in charge. Don’t argue.
This premiership season 2020, is going to be like a chook raffle.

So you acknowledge that the NFL doesn’t have an in-season competition for its reserves to play in then?

1 Like

I am clarifying whether NFL contracted players can compete in Summer Leagues - There is no option for AFL players unless they play in the Northern Territory League - Have no idea how the two Irish boys or Hird Junior will develop this year under the current arrangements.

Is there any option for them to play in an EDFL team?

Luke Ball - VFL Manager
Mark Corrigan - VFL coach

Both stood down from EFC

According to C7 tonight.

. :anguished:

There is no VFL program this year

booooo

Where will @theDJR get his chips?

1 Like

I’m not being paid this year either.

3 Likes