2021 Essendon VFL discussion thread - 22(!) teams, 3 states, 16 rounds

Paul would it be correct that the number of volunteers ( like you) are much higher at VFL than at AFL level?
Just curious, as the Firsts used to have lots of volunteers ( like Humble NSW Fan’s father in recruitment)
If the squeeze comes on clubs to downsize more support staff, could there be a comeback role for volunteers?

Probably a few more at VFL level @bigallan yeah - off the top of my head at VFL level we’ve got about half a dozen property guys, a team manager/interchange steward, a couple of trainer type roles, a photographer, timekeeper, and me. I’ve probably forgotten someone, sorry anyone if I did!
I’m not sure what the breakdown at AFL level (who are actually involved with the footy program) is - a couple of the property guys is likely mostly it. Most of the coaches/physios/Docs etc are employed at some level I think even if only on a very minimal amount of money - or were before the covid shutdown.
Personally I’d guess it will be more likely an overall reduction of headcount after this rather than an increase in volunteers filling formerly paid roles, but I say that with no knowledge of the thinking of the club, nor any knowledge whether myself or a lot of others actually have roles to go back to.

3 Likes

Thanks Paul for taking the time to give me an informed and considered response, You probably have enough on your plate without having to respond to Blitzers.

A bit of history, Ron Clarke used to ring the bell for the reserves

2 Likes

Ha no worries. TBH I haven’t heard anything from the footy club in about a month and don’t expect to, they have bigger fish to fry. I’m at home running a business, playing school teacher and being a parent like no doubt lots of others on here, and missing the footy.

4 Likes

Yet his son just finished up a 12 year stint on the board at Carlton. Some apples fall further from trees than others!

Maybe learning how other clubs function before he ends his career at Essendon.
Does he have sporting ability?

I sat beside him at a function back in 2016, fair to say from his comments that day a return to the Bombers would be unlikely.

There was a black box high up on stilts next to the R S Reynolds stand, reserved for the timekeeper and media. The bell was outside the box with a long rope.
Ron must have waited for a signal from the timekeeper to ring the bell

1 Like

Shame. There was a Clarke dynasty connected to the club - Tommy, Jack and Ron.

Cracked the sads with the club when Jack got the boot, I believe.

Pity since his father was an Essendon man and Jack was one of the champions of the club…#8.

1 Like

Appreciate your comments and efforts for the CLub and for providing information to the humble outside world. Thanks for that!

But I am flabbergasted that no-one in the Club hierarchy could find a moment to get in touch with you in the last month.

Our organization - much smaller, much less funded, with MUCH more to do in the medical space these days - nevertheless finds time to send out email updates to all staff WFH three or four times a week.

What “bigger fish” could those still be paid at EFC possibly be frying?

Jack and Tommy bore no malice for whatever was done to a Jack, they were regulars at club functions and IIRC Tommy was inducted into the inaugural EFC Hall of Fame.
Jack did have a beef about the Saints - did not get paid for coaching ( but then neither did Jeans)

Jon Ralph on Fox Footy is reporting that the 2020 season will be played amongst 8 teams over 10 rounds in length but without AFL club participation.

The 5 stand alones, Casey, Sandy & Box Hill ( without AFL registered players ) will commence playing from early July.

No Bombers & no Windy Hill…

Anybody know where the VFLW girls stand now?

SEN reported the following:

Hawthorn won’t allow its AFL-listed players to play for Box Hill this season, according to News Corp .

The AFL announced on Monday all state leagues – including the VFL – are on hold until May due to current coronavirus fears.

But according to the report, Hawthorn’s AFL team confirmed on Tuesday they wouldn’t be supplying any AFL players to the VFL team this season, effectively reducing Box Hill to a standalone team in 2020.

Box Hill, who are coached by former Hawks player Max Bailey, recruited the likes of Brett Deledio, Josh Deluca and Andy Otten in the off-season.

But they face the prospect of finding new players to fill the void left by the absence of Hawthorn AFL-listed players.

2 Likes

How do you develop young players,especially Category Brookies if they are playing no competitive footy ?

2 Likes

We have been hearing for weeks that the Crows and Port won’t be playing in the SANFL this year but now hearing no AFL listed players will be permitted to play in any state league

That’s not a surprise. I didn’t realise this was the first time they’d officially announced that.

First official notice was this arvo apparently but had been talked about for a while. I feel sorry for our blokes who can’t get a run in the VFL but I’m ecstatic that the interlopers are out of the SANFL and hope they never return

2 Likes