2022 Draft Watch (Part 1)

Currently 54, might come in to something like 48 or so once other bids are matched and so forth.

1 Like

@jonovdp farking hates Tsatas.

1 Like

:wave: @THE_DON1 .
How would rate this years draft compared to last years and who do think North will take at 2 & 3.
:joy: Just joking.

But it gives me hope that you said you had a good idea who North were taking but was told to in confidence. Seeing everyone (Cal) has said they’re probably taking Sheezel and Wardlaw it would be easy for you to agree therefore it gives me hope they’re are overlooking Wardlaw. If you don’t respond I’ll assume I’m correct and Wardlaw will be available. :+1:t3:
Love your work. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Given it’s looking increasingly likely that Sheezel and Wardlaw will be headed to North, I’ve been trying to determine who fits best for our first selection.

I think I’ve found my guy.

Mattaes Phillipou AFL U18 CHAMPIONSHIP VS VIC METRO- Draft Prospect - YouTube (the play at 1:45 screams ‘star’ to me!)

Interviewed on ‘Into the Fire’, he was asked what his number 1 football trait is: “I would have to say competitiveness”. On the same interview he was asked about his willingness to be drafted interstate: “I’m really excited for that possibility. A lot of people have said to me surely to stay in SA would be awesome, but to me honest with you I’d be more excited to go interstate. There is a lot of unknown with that which really excites me so I’m completely ok with it. I would be doing the same thing were I to stay at home but just away from everyone else.”

The more I read about him and look at his clips, the more I feel like he has what we’ve been crying out for. The spots that I feel Tsatas might be weakest in, he seems to be really strong at.

17 Likes

if we want Munkara to be a Cat B pick do we literally need to wait until the last pick of the draft and make sure everyone has picked before selecting our final player, given there is no room on the rookie list.

True. The only real midfield support Tsatas had in that match was Davey.

I am slowly coming around to Tsatas. I think he’s a safe option. The only issue I have with picking him, is my frustration with our current midfield group. I think our list management has been very poor. I’m not convinced we have a midfield that will take us far, or will support Tsatas’ strengths.

Including the lack of versatility with our midfield group, which is a big issue.

4 Likes

The state of our rookie list doesn’t matter for Munkara. We can still match bids in the ND after we pass (as we did with Brand in 2020). So we can pass when we’re done, then match a bid if one comes, or just put him on the Cat B list the next day if one doesn’t.

Edit: sorry, I just got what you mean. I think you’re right, yes, if we want the list full (to capacity) and to guarantee we get Munkara while hoping he ends up as a Cat B, we’d need to make sure we had the last live pick in the draft. Which probably wouldn’t be that hard to do, just potentially stupid to watch happen in real time.

2 Likes

Sheezel is all but a lock. I think Norths biggest strength is their midfield block and Sheezel is that X Factor you grab when you see it because well he could end up a genuine match winner.

That being said if they were to pass on Wardlaw it’s not clear who they would go for and why IMHO.

Perhaps a bigger bodied utility style mid/forward.(so the guys we have been apparently deliberating over as well…I dunno).

I certainly don’t view George as significantly better than Elijah. Just a different type player.

I want Wardlaw because he’s an Essendon fan. Sounds corny but I just love that. He happens to be really good too.

5 Likes

George is a jet.

2 Likes

pretty sure he’s a charger

I love George too. Looks like a sure thing to me.

oh yeah love how he moves.

Very, very late.

(And probably only possibly useful on matching bids for J Davey / Munkara)

From what I can see in those highlights he feeds leading forwards 3 times, and has 3 shots on goal himself.

If that’s the knock on him, sign me up.

1 Like

Good research, hopefully Dodoro is bold enough to make the call.

2 Likes

Phillipou’s goal kicking makes him very hard to turn down.

We have significant lack of goal kickers…. And Phillipou is the Stringer replacement we need.

6 Likes

wrong.

he will go beyond langford. hes not explosive enough to be a stringer replacement

1 Like

10,000 posts and we haven’t even drafted anyone yet

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at 2022 Draft Watch (Part 2).