2022 Draft Watch (Part 1)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/754511/squads-for-colgate-young-guns-v-vic-metro-u18/amp

Game on tomorrow at Werribee. Pascu from our VFL side is listed for Metro.

I donā€™t think the club gets a say.

Which one would compliment our current midfield group the most?

All 3 do and donā€™t in their own way. Guess it depends on what you value most if the midfielder isnā€™t a taller big bodied mid.

2 Likes

Any chance that Hewitt pushes into that group of three? I think his style probably compliment our current group the most, just doesnā€™t seem to have the ā€œstandoutā€ features to his game the others do

I donā€™t think he will but itā€™s fairly early still, not sure his two way running is at a great level. Neither is Tsatas in that regard but Tsatas has a bit more about him in terms of impact.

Fair to Hurley? The bloke has been on a massive 7 year contract and played about 5 good games in that 7 years, mostly in the back half of 2017 as a nick maxwell style loose defender, i donā€™t think we owe him anything, he has made out like a bandit if he were to retire tomorrow.

7 Likes

yes that is very true.
the club should be getting in his ear to gracefully retire

People wouldnā€™t care about Hurley if we were travelling ok. The fact we suck and there may be something to help us out in the MSD has lead to this.

If I was injured, Iā€™d want full recovery before I retired.
imagine taking an injury into retirement and having to rehab it yourself?

Iā€™d like him to retire, but donā€™t grudge him if he went to the end.

2 Likes

Would putting Devon smith on the LTI to get his knee right for the last year of his contract get a MSD selection?

He re-signed in 2016, is out of contract this year, but is on a 7 year deal?

Gee sorry mate, 6 years, still a massive contract, I reckon close to 5 million dollars over that time.

I know itā€™s a long way until the draft and a lot can change, but itā€™s pretty disappointing that in year where we might have a top 3 pick the projected top players are not really the player types weā€™re screaming out for.

Would kill for us to get a Cripps/ Horne Francis/ Rachele/ Whitfield type.

At this stage the best we could hope for is to get a gun KPF, then allow 2MP to be the best 2nd ruck in the game. Because drafting another all-round smaller midfielder seems ridiculous.

I think it matters because nothing about the situation needs to be exaggerated for your criticism to hold. We gave Hurley a five year extension (in effect a six year contract). The contract was, like many saga contracts, too long, especially for a guy whoā€™s been explicitly saying his bodyā€™s falling apart for years in interviews. That was not an uncommon view at the time. And weā€™ve paid for that with the last couple of years.

Then thereā€™s all the subjective stuff. He was AA in 2017, and top 10 in the B&F 2017-2019. Weirdly enough, he came 4th in our Brownlow votes in 2018 for the very little thatā€™s worth. Now, I donā€™t know how you define a ā€œgoodā€ game, but by most peopleā€™s measures he probably played more than 5 good games in that three year stretch. Some people might even go so far as to say in the period he was a good player, even if he wasnā€™t playing up to his contract value.

2020 he, like many players, was not good. Not good to the point that they decided in 2021 they were going to play him as a forward, a plan which was pretty clearly a last chance option given we got Wright and wanted to pump games into Jones.

So, in my eyes, heā€™s a guy who got a six year contract which was too long (albeit in special circumstances), played a few years of decent to good football with a couple of very good patches, was basically out of the team plans and has spent the last season and a half injured. The club has, without any hyperbole required, rewarded his loyalty.

3 Likes

Jai Culley been impressive early for the young guns, for the MSD I think he is the man for us.

https://cluch.tv/afl/colgate-young-guns-series/colgate-young-guns-series/

4 Likes

Of course it is ā– ā– ā– ā–  never goes our way

How did Pascu go?

Itā€™s only been the first quarter so far

Sheezel is a Rachele type

I think Tsatas would compliment our list as well

2 Likes

And a 3rd goal to Culley, a long bomb on the run

3 Likes