2022 Draft Watch (Part 2)

Scott would also appreciate Wardlaw as a fellow St Kevins alumni.

1 Like
  • Is a Warlord.
6 Likes

What Iā€™m seeing/hearing:

• Highly driven
  • Strong self-belief
  • Distance in his kicking
  • Neat disposal
  • Highly competitive
  • High production
  • Sticks his tackles
  • Excellent pair of hands, even in contested situations
  • Goal sense
  • Goal kicker
  • Excellent size
  • Tested well at the combine including equal 9th in the 2km
  • Can play a variety of positions

There is a LOT to work with, no?

6 Likes

I think he has has very low output so far.

I just donā€™t see it. I wouldnā€™t be taking him with Pick 4.

2 Likes

Averaging 28 disposals and 2 goals a game in 2022 is a low output?

11 Likes

In the Under 18 Championships???

if you swapped him with sheezel hed probably average 20 and 8 goals

"The South Australianā€™s season was cut short by an ankle injury in August, after a strong showing at the National Championships. Phillipou played through some soreness in the tournament and made his best impact with a two-goal, 24-disposal showing against the Allies.

Yet to turn 18, Phillipou has a huge upside ā€” likely to be the youngest player selected in the draft. If he were just days younger heā€™d be ineligible for the 2022 NAB AFL Draft."

6 Likes

No thanks.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen it at Essendon. The only thing exploding has been his hamstrings. But not seen him show explosive pace at training or in games.
Hopefully he can find that extra gear.

5 Likes

Just in support of Jono and G Unit.

Philipou is composed and makes good decisions. Canā€™t say that about Tsatas.

That is the main difference as these are not things that are easily taught. They are traits of the most gifted players.

Also add superior mark, gol kicker, bigger, taller, and the youngest in the draft.

Watch his highlights v Vic Metro in the rain.

We donā€™t need another garden variety accumulator.

We do need class, goal kicking and composure.

7 Likes

The problem with that deal is it cost North 2022 points. As it is without #22 we can only afford to match a bid around 27ish. So if weā€™d done that deal we would have almost certainly been taking deficits through to 2023. Unless we traded 2023 picks which does kind of get you back to the same place.

In the bolded part, not really. As I said above without #22 we can only match a later bid. And that wipes picks to match J Davey and Munkara. So if we use #22 then we likely take a deficit to 2023, or trade out a 2023 pick for points.

In which case it becomes:

A) Eyre and a complete 2023 draft hand versus
B) #22 and compromised 2023 draft hand

Plus we will need 2023 delistings, for a stronger draft. Id be doing option A.

2 Likes

Tbh I just havenā€™t seen enough of Phillipou, other than Highlights and reading his stats.

He seems to fit the list need for us. And his highlights are exciting. But Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s better than Humphrey & Tsatasā€¦. Who Iā€™ve watched a fair bit of.

It may also be to use that list spot on Munkara and turn #22 into Davey and some future value (eg a future third).

Iā€™d be open to trading back for an extra future first.

If we did @G-Unitā€™s idea above weā€™d probably trade our 2023 second for points. So effectively trade #4 and two firsts for an extra future first, #9, Davey, and maybe a future third.

1 Like

The minus is weā€™d miss the opportunity to get a taller midfielder, and heā€™s another midfield-only option.

Iā€™m on the Philipou bandwagon.

4 Likes

A tall midfielder who is also a damaging forward, is a big area of need for us.

The Lack of versatility in our midfield is probably one of our biggest issues.

2 Likes

Itā€™s definitely something Phillipou, Humphrey and Gibney all bring to the table.

1 Like

We do have Perkins who if he can continue his projection can be that player

4 Likes

I prefer we have another. Expands our options, let alone allowing for injuries.

4 Likes

Perkins is a handy forward. I wouldnā€™t say heā€™s damaging tho. Heā€™s not a player who could cover Stringer in the forwardline.

But itā€™s also worth having a few midfielders who are damaging forwards.
That gives the defenders some headaches

1 Like