2022 FF Original Discussion Thread

too much pressure!

Itā€™s one of the peculiarities of this game that you can finish on the bottom, sorrowfully just scrape out one win for the season and yet have more players you want to keep than positions allowable!

Sheesh.

4 Likes

Itā€™s only preseason hitouts, so huge grains of salt required.

But out of pure curiosity, from the games played this weekend, 17 of our keepers took the field and weā€™d have scored an even1300.

A) thatā€™s probably higher than any week last year, though I canā€™t really recall.

B) 1300 would at least make us competitive week to week and should result in more than one bloody win in a season!

Sustainable? Probably not, weā€™re going to be young. Small steps forward? Yeah, Hopefully.

2 Likes

A reminder that the keeper deadline is 11pm tonight.

If you have traded in players you wonā€™t select a full 20 on UF as Iā€™ll add those players to your keepers for you, the following wonā€™t be nominating the full 20:

Please make sure to double check your counting as Iā€™ve had to chase up people in the past who were either 1 short or 1 over.

1 Like

Sorry, can I please get a three hour extension?
Iā€™m on afternoon shift and tbh Iā€™m not as organised as Iā€™d like to be.

LTI noms - Jones / Coffield

So 2am?

Youā€™ve had what 15 years of getting your keepers in on time - so Iā€™m fine with that.

6 Likes

Submitted my 20 keepers. I would like to nominate Bowes for the LTI list.

Can anyone remind me how I add players?

Edit: lol. Never mind.

Edit: Done, @Dunlop

1 Like

Spreadsheets are 99.9% ready to be distributed:

@wezza - Once youā€™re up mate - youā€™re 1 keeper short.

gahh sorry mate. thought i saved it. Keeping paddy dow.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay everyone.

2 Likes

2 new SSP players to consider (and add to your spreadsheets):

Mitch Cox - 24; (FC)
Tom T. Lynch - 31; (F) 71 ave in '21; 81 overall

2 Likes

@Dunlop
Oscar Allen looks out until round 5.
Is that enough for an LTI?

Sorry mate, but he narrowly misses - thatā€™d be 5 weeks not 6.

1 Like

Another shiny new toy to admire (and add to spreadsheets):

• Jarrod Lienert (27); B; 65 ave in '21; 68 overall
1 Like

Our limited edition SPP window display is now complete (though foggyā€™s already absconded with one of the pieces):

• Tom Joyce (22); C
  • Patrick Naish (23); C; 34 in '21; 43 overall
  • Luke Strnadica (24); FR

The SPP players should hopefully be available to draft without a placeholder sometime tomorrow.

NB> It is entirely possible when added that the initial UF positions for these players may differ, so double check to avoid disappointment.

If anybody would prefer to receive an updated spreadsheet rather than input the latest 6 players themselves, drop me a PM and Iā€™ll send one out to you.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve completed my drafting.

My plan was to not take a pick whilst I was at work. Unfortunately, I couldnā€™t work from home, so tracking what happened through the day was restricted.
I think I only took 1 pick from home. The rest were off the list available that I usually had a few minutes between meetings to make a decision on.

Onto the picksā€¦
Pick 2 - Jason Horne-Francis FC
Very happy with this pick. Some concern over whether he turns out to be a DTer or just your average Jack Viney midfielder. Hopefully he stays as a forward and scores as well as Heeney.
Pick 11 - Angus Sheldrick C
He was the best choice available on the list at the time. Ideally I did not want to take a C this draft, but couldnā€™t pass this guy up. He apparently went head to head with JHF and beat him. That info as well as playing for Sydney puts him in the right time to flourish.
Pick 17 Matthew Roberts FC
Bit of a reach, but I liked the guy. Didnā€™t score well last season but is supposedly a DTer. Had a bit of an injury problem but was a gun before that. Hopefully he comes good.
Pick 20 Matthew Johnson FC
Another DTer. Had him ranked a bit higher so had to take him with what else was available.
Pick 32 Zac Taylor FC
I probably didnā€™t need to take this pick. I had a list of around 20-odd players and he was the last one left on it. SPS was the one I wanted here, but all other Bs were still available so I figured Iā€™d wait a bit longer before going trying to fill a team for round 1. Scored 100+ at junior level last year, so had to take him. Should get a game at Adelaide.
Pick 35 Bailey Williams B
I needed a backman. He was the best on my list available. Others probably had more upside, but I needed someone I could trust to play round 1. He fit the bill perfectly.
Pick 38 Ned Long C
Unfortunately, Ben Paton had been taken and I still had a few more Bs that I was willing to pick up, but I decided to gamble that at least two of them would be available later on. This guy is a DTer. Unfortunately, heā€™s a C, but I think he may get some early games at Hawthorn and be up for a FC position change.
Pick 48 Hugh Jackson FC
The Bs on my list werenā€™t being taken, so I figured Iā€™d keep leaving those to my last few picks and go for some major upside. Averaged 100+ last year. Had to go for it.
Pick 56 James Peatling CB
He was close to being a keeper. I rate him. He scored well given the short period of time he spent on the field which is consistent with last yearā€™s scores. Iā€™m hoping this will be a solid pick.
Pick 62 Trey Ruscoe FB
Wasnā€™t really on my list at the start of the draft, but I slowly warmed to him. Scored okay given the short time on field on the weekend, so he was worth a shot.

My drafting has brought upon an unbalanced team. I have 9 FCā€™s, 8Cā€™s and only 8 eligible backmen. If you told me back in December that Iā€™d get JHF, Hugh Jackson, Matthew Johnson, Matty Roberts, Angus Sheldrick and Ned Long in the draft, I would have taken it and ran. Unfortunately, not many of them played in one of the practise or AAMI games so they are going to be a wait and see kind of thing.

Itā€™s odd. After trade period, I thought this draft was a very good one to try and load up on. Unfortunately, the lack of exposed form from all the rookies made it very difficult and very speculative.

This is also the first time Iā€™ve ever had such a heavy draft hand so early in the draft. It was kind of good not to have to worry too much outside of the 30 to 40 players on my draft list.

Round 1 Team
FF: Ryan Byrnes, Rowan Marshall, Samuel Wicks
F: Deven Robertson, Jason Horne-Francis, ?
R: Ned Reeves, Willem Drew, Jack Viney
C: Jeremy Sharp, Brayden Fiorini, ?
B: Luke Foley, Luke Ryan, Ryan Bonner
FB: Callum Wilkie, Bailey Williams, ?

Possible ?: Luke Edwards, Angus Sheldrick, Luke Pedlar, Ned Long, Trey Ruscoe

INJ: Oscar Allen, Jed Anderson

Iā€™m not sure what my prospects are this year. I was hoping the worst performance of my team came last season, but I think this year may be a tad worse at times. But I am hoping for a big resurgence in the last half of the year as a few of my youngsters begin establishing themselves.
Hopefully, covid isnā€™t too big an issue and my youngsters can actually develop in the VFL.

Some of the players Iā€™ve drafted over the last three years are going to have to be moved on for more draft picks next season. It doesnā€™t make sense to hang on to them, just to delist them when keepers need to be announced. Itā€™s just a matter of whether I trade them during the season or at the end of the season.
The oldest players on my list are Jack Viney and Jed Anderson. They should be at their absolute prime by now so do well enough to earn a semi decent draft pick in return whenever I decide to trade them in.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s a good haul

Iā€™m really spewing there werenā€™t many young defenders in the draft.
Very midfield heavy.