2022 trade speculation (Part 2)

However, with 7 year deals, they always look great at year zero, but you often wish you could get out of them after year 5.

2 Likes

Carlton have better top end talent than most, but rely on them more than anyone.

They drop off hard and fast, without a strong system to provide structure if their stars are not firing like Richmond had.

You can only go on recent form, and that form suggests Wright is very close to McKay.

No arguments with your last line.
Doesnt mean they will get anywhere though.

I think teams arenā€™t worried about that anymore. Theyā€™ll now call it a ā€œsalary dumpā€ and try move them on.

I canā€™t get my head around why Bowes would allow Geelong to spread 2 x 850 over 4 years. Basically playing 2 years for nothing. I get playing for more than money, but thats a lot more money.
I donā€™t think the AFL would like it either - Iā€™m sure they thought these kind of deals would benefit lowly clubs, not the premiers.
Iā€™m sure weā€™d be offering whatā€™s owed for plus another couple on reasonable coin.

7 Likes

Itā€™s all about identifying roles and then adding depth in each.

So much to build around though.

Absolutely. A lot easier to put players in underneath top end talent than find the talent to start with.

Challenge will be finding the right structure and game plan to bring it all together. And the clock is always ticking.

I know, but those things can stop you reaching the pinnacle that every team is aiming for.

Paying too much, too often is death by a thousand cuts.

I wouldnā€™t.

Wright has had 1 very good year, he needs to back that up now.
Wouldnā€™t compare him to McKay (Coleman medallist) yet

May take pay cut to go to good team.

El Toro pizza is the best pizza in geelong. Mark my words!

1 Like

McKay is a giant squib who canā€™t kick a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  drop punt. Iā€™m glad Carlton have kept him, Iā€™ve said it before but heā€™s just a more solid Joe Daniher.

2 Likes

Which is exactly what we need.

I donā€™t want to relieve Carlton of their poor management of the salary cap.

If theyā€™re gonna be throwing 1 million per season at a player like Williamsā€¦. Then they need to suck it up.

4 Likes

Two. He was also excellent in 2021. He averaged ~10 hitouts and >1 goal per game.

Played a different role in 2022 and was very adept at it.

1 Like

We need to identify young talent that has shown ability but has been starved of opportunity and bring them over for better money without spending much draft capital.

Then give them a role and put time into developing them in that single role.

This is all insurance for if draft picks donā€™t work out or players donā€™t come on.

Stops us from having gaping holes in our squad as we attempt to refill positions based on players not working out or moving.

Brad Scott: revealed he would have walked away from the opportunity to coach Essendon if the board or selection panel had urged him to fast-track the clubā€™s elite band of youngsters with a top-up mentality.

ā€œI made it very clear if Essendon were interested in short-term solutions at the expense of long term top-end talent, I wasnā€˜t the right person to lead themā€

So what does this mean in regards to Harmes?

4 Likes

We should look into Joe Daniher