2022 trade speculation (Part 3)

I wonder whether he can be swayed by our massive pile of cash - Dunkley I mean

The Sydney pick that comes to us for Francis is given to Carlton for Setterfield.

2 Likes

Effectively swapping Francis, pick 6, for Setterfield, pick 5, after six years is Dodoro playing the ultimate long game.

16 Likes

We tried and failed.

Hope so ā€¦hopefully that pushes Sheezel to us

The point is, not trading is our best trading strategy right now. We can judge the players in a couple of years.

3 Likes

What Mahoney first came to the club, he spoke about how Melbourne brought in groups of young players together through the draft so theyā€™d mature as a group. The same thing is happening now with Essendon.

7 Likes

Setterfield certainly more palatable than Mathieson or any other mid on the outer that weā€™ve been linked to.

I didnā€™t realise he had played 13 games this year or that we were considering him with pick 1 when we took McGrath and he went at 5.

He is only 24 which suits our age profile and means that he hopefully hasnā€™t reached his peak either.

If he can be a serviceable contested ball winner, then as many have mentioned it has potential to be a Will Brodie type pick up.

From the outer although I havenā€™t watched much of him, I always thought he lacked aggression and any real elite attributes - hopefully my Carlton dislike was blinding meā€¦ (or maybe now my essington nuffy optimist goggles are blinding me)

4 Likes

Dow would be a cheap replacement if we lost Parish. I wouldnā€™t be shopping Parish though.

If JHF deal falls over, maybe last minute send Shiel & 22 to Port for 8. or Shiel to Brisbane if Dunkley deal fails.

Shiel to Collingwood if Mitchell/ fiorinni deals fall over us paying part of contract for 16.

We have the picks and the coin to satisfy all parties, he just doesnā€™t have the desire any longer.

1 Like

Wait, those numbers were supposed to change my mind?

Pretty sure I read on here only R22 and R23 he was played in position, unsure about R19 but R20 and R21 he wasnā€™t on the inside I think.

1 Like

Hed be a cheap replacement because hes not a good replacement.

2 Likes

His VFL numbers were good too.

2 Likes

All this talk of a hypothetical Shiel trade and the clubā€™s so called reluctance to cut him loose is so farcical itā€™s hilarious.

For what we have invested in him to date no club would ever come close to putting up an offer thatā€™s worth considering.

Still believe that once we get the cohesion right, thereā€™s still every chance a group consisting of Merrett, Shiel, Parish, Setterfield, Caldwell, Perkins and Hobbs (with the occasional cameo from McGrath and Stringer) can be a more than competitive midfield unit in the coming years.

6 Likes

Setterfield will be with us for 2-3 years, playing the vast majority of his games in the VFL. He will then be delisted.

yes, thats correct. admit your wrong - now

1 Like

In the first VFL final Setterfield had 40 touches, 13 clearances and kicked 2 goals 3 behinds.

9 Likes

I must admit, if I knew he once got 26 touches, Iā€™d have had a whole different opinion.

Heā€™s not rubbish imo, heā€™s just bog average.

1 Like

Jackson Merrett once had 30 touches.