2023 FF Original Discussion Thread

All this because UF decided on a half-baked merger ffs.

1 Like

Thanks Wim. Damn you UF for selling out the the AFL.

Will be down a ruck due to Kozzie being :poop: two weeks in a row!

1 Like

Darcy Moore is as good as a dnp this week, nearly threw Jake Kelly in :expressionless:

I’ve got Hoskin Elliott :rofl:

1 Like

Just a FYI, final benches should be updated as normal, but final scores won’t be posted on here until late (though they should be available on Bench 45-60mins after the final game as usual).

Just recently discovered…

Predicted Scores on Bench: Updated after each match and available throughout the weekend by heading into the coaches box and switching the side tab to match-ups.
Predictions look to be based on 2022 + 2 rounds, so players that didn’t play last season will receive their current average. It also can’t take into account loopholing.

@Blummers32 - As best I can tell, outside of being able to quickly undo things if you accidentally delist the wrong player, they serve no function outside of being a haunting weekly reminder of any player you delisted who is now starring under another coach.

2 Likes

My mob is in a good spot against Saladin. 224 lead with 3 to go vs @saladin 's 4.
The team balance is about as good as can be.
Only 4 players on my list don’t even make it to be named as an emergency. Dev Robertson, Jeremy Sharpe and Brayden Cook are performing at lower levels, so they’re worth persevering with. Foley is playing the WAFL practise matches, but he’s stuck behind Hurn, Witherden, Cole and Duggan in the backline.
Otherwise, it’s been refreshing seeing names listed on Thursday team sheets.

2 Likes

Yep, you’ll be fine from here. We’ve had some really poor scores.

I was happy just to squeeze out a complete 18 this week. Injuries and suspensions galore. We’ll clearly be much better with Kennedy, Kosi, Dusty etc available, as much because it’ll allow Daicos to go back into the defence. But the Wright injury is probably terminal in terms of the Ruck position, I doubt we can fix that this season. A small glimmer is also that Howe scored fairly well, and Tucker was named as Norths sub. So we may have a bit more depth than we’d realised even a week ago.

Lyons is the interesting one. Had a big game for Brisbanes reserves, and obviously the Lions lost to the Bulldogs. But whether he’s in Fagan’s thinking now that Dunkley has arrived is the unknown, and has been a problem right through the preseason when trying to decide on Keepers.

1 Like

Yeah.
That Lions team is screwing me up too.
The Dunkley and Ashcroft additions means Robertson isn’t getting the exposure he was getting late last year.

Haven’t watched the derby but the Witherden injury could be costly.

1413 (ufs) vs. 1381

Cripps is also injured

Final bench adjustments have been made

Best of luck to all teams still with a chance to win

1 Like

Not exactly a great round for the Tigers.
Poor onfield performance.
Free agent not picked up.
Logue and Acres suspended.
McGovern pinged a hammy.
Aleer still weeks away, and who the hell knows what’s happening with Ellis.

Decent debut from Van Rooyen is nice, I suppose.

@wimmera1 @Trotters
When you get a chance, take last week’s FA players on thebench.

What do you mean?

Sorry.
My fault.
That’s weird.
I thought you hadn’t picked up and dropped players from the bench.
For some reason the players you dropped didn’t end up on the waiver wire.

1 Like

One of the most frustrating rounds I’ve experienced in my time.

Things got under way relatively well with Harris Andrews proving he’s back to his best, Neale doing as he should but then ultimately Lobb ruining everything.

Before Friday midday I stared at the computer in my office for roughly 10mins contemplating Darcy Moore or Jake Kelly, deciding the captain in a big match was the safest option.
What a spanner I am.

I again was left with egg on my face as my second perplexing option of Breust or Logan McDonald led me to go with experience, but Logan coming of age isn’t all bad (consider this lesson learnt).
Cam Zurhaar showed exactly what I believed him capable of when trading for him (now for consistency please). While young Conor Nash showed why I was elated at Pick 122 with a good hit out, I’ll see no more sub for him I fell.

Along came Saturday night THE heartbreaker!
Wood went nuts scoring huge but un-did it all by getting injured, I thought this bad enough until I saw my decision to leave Jake Kelly out also cost me a 109. A 78 point turnaround on that call.
Boak flopped like a tiring vet, as did Tex.

Sunday came and bought little joy for this coach in need, Danger started hot but fell off the boil, Collins toiled and did what he does.
My last hope was young Brennan Cox who had begun the season well, I sat to revel in my Eagles workmates missery (schadenfreude is sick I know). But it quickly turned to me with a sinking feeling as Cox was playing lock down and barely sighted.

This fixture was 100% up for grabs, I just wasn’t a good enough coach to get team selection right!

Well played @Trotters

3 Likes

I also haven’t taken Andrew Phillips yet sorry

Official Final Scores

Allblack 1413 defeated Stoops 1381
wezza 1131 lost to The_Mad_Bomber 1386
You Shall Be Smoten 1202 lost to Awesome Scotty 1259
redbull 1288 lost to topdon 1356
Windy Dill 967 lost to Jefferson 1119
wimmera 1156 lost to Dunlop 1369
Blummers 1330 defeated saladin 1080
Trotters 1351 defeated JBaller 1228
Alber_Goodthur 1363 lost to Crazy Bomber 1474

Ladder

Pos LR Team GP W L D For Aga % Pts
1 2 Crazy Bomber 3 3 0 0 4394 3762 116.8 12
2 4 Jefferson 3 3 0 0 3658 3279 111.6 12
3 3 topdon 3 3 0 0 4006 3613 110.9 12
4 6 Allblack 3 3 0 0 4101 3886 105.5 12
5 1 Stoops 3 2 1 0 4344 3783 114.8 8
6 8 Mad Bomber 3 2 1 0 3985 3647 109.3 8
7 9 Dunlop 3 2 1 0 3763 3532 106.5 8
8 5 saladin 3 2 1 0 3733 3763 99.2 8
9 7 redbull 3 1 2 0 4003 3843 104.2 4
10 13 Trotters 3 1 2 0 3935 3952 99.6 4
11 15 Blummers 3 1 2 0 3802 3829 99.3 4
12 11 Alber Goodthur 3 1 2 0 3867 4097 94.4 4
13 12 JBaller 3 1 2 0 3813 4113 92.7 4
14 10 wezza 3 1 2 0 3488 3836 90.9 4
15 16 Awesome Scotty 3 1 2 0 3584 3951 90.7 4
16 14 YSB Smoten 3 0 3 0 3610 3798 95.1 0
17 17 wimmera 3 0 3 0 3429 4134 82.9 0
18 18 Windy Dill 3 0 3 0 3230 3927 82.3 0

Next Week - Easter Round

John McCarthy Cup: Dunlop (7) vs. Trotters (10)
Jefferson (2) vs. Blummers (11)
topdon (3) vs wimmera (17)
Awesome Scotty (15) vs. Windy Dill (18)
Match of the Round: The_Mad_Bomber (6) vs. redbull (9)
wezza (14) vs. You Shall Be Smoten (16)
Stoops (5) vs. Alber_Goodthur (12)
JBaller (13) vs. Crazy Bomber (1)
saladin (8) vs. Allblack (4)

5 Likes

Happy this week to get a win over @Stoops who will clearly be there at the pointy end of the season. We dragged him down to our level.

Been lucky this year. Trading out Fyfe and Hall has yet to bite me. Got the ultimate FF luck wish Macpherson being played off half back. Finally Dew gets something right for me. LDU missed this week but he’s a superstar and I only have him because someone else took Dow before I could. McVee and Noah Long are growing into players and could work out ok.

As per FF lore though. I start to feel comfortable and then this week I’ll get smashed. Should be an easy win for @saladin

Ha! Your reverse psychology Fantasy Footy Jedi mind trick won’t work on me.

We’re so far below strength atm that finding 18 players, let alone 18 reasonable scores, is problematic.

1 Like

The Good…

• getting some good high scores. 5 players with 90+. Two more in the 80s.
  • things look so much better when players make the Thursday team sheet. I’ve got no injuries and only 4 players who don’t make it to Thursday’s team sheets.
  • Our B&F is going to be hotly contested this year. Ryan controlling the backline scoring. Dylan Moore controlling the forward line scoring. Setterfield controlling the midfield scoring.
  • Oscar Allen take a bow. Missed the tonne. I thought he’d ease into the season and play like that towards the end of the year. Hopefully by next year, he’s consistently in the 80s.
  • Ryan Byrnes deserves a mention. Two 90s scores in the first month is well above what I was expecting.
  • So far (touch wood) there have been no glaring team selection errors, so this year has started well.

The Bad Average…

• I think I can safely say I don’t need to be so negative with this list and rename this category to average rather than bad. That’s a big step up from the last few years.
  • Nick Hind with a 46 on limited time on ground. He should get a better look in over the next month.
  • It’s great to have players named on Thursday night. But I wouldn’t mind that translating into the 22 soon. Matty Roberts, Matty Johnson and Hind this week.
  • It looks like Pedlar will be out for a week after a rough tackle. He needs all the continuity he can get.
  • Reserves form. Sheldrick smashed it. So did Dev Robertson. Jack Bytel smashed it. I’m not too far away from having selection problems.
  • The list is still forward / midfield heavy. But my weakest list players are all defenders who are either playing and are average scorers at best (Hayden Crozier, Jack Buckley & Kayne Turner) or could come in next week due to horrible injury problems (Luke Foley). FAs are going to be a challenge this week.

The Ugly…

• 6 sub 60 scores. 5 more scores in the 60s. That’s half the selected team.
  • Jack Viney’s start to the year. 69 and 63 is well below what I expect from him.
  • Harry Cunningham last few weeks. 27 and 37 is putrid.
  • Ned Reeves start to the season. 34, 24 and 56 is not what I was expecting.
1 Like