2023 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday May 31 2023

The point was that they are similar players.

Big-bodied goal-kicking mid with line-breaking speed for mine. Get it done Dodo you Dud.

Voss is nowhere near a Mihocek yet. Let him develop in the VFL and maybe in 2 years he may be like a young Mihocek. Iā€™m sure he has an exciting future, just donā€™t rush it.

I wouldnā€™t be against giving Poulter another shot, though I was super keen on him predraft so maybe a little bias.

On the plus side I think I read heā€™s nominated a 6month contract. We donā€™t exactly have mid spots free, but I do like his size

5 Likes

I remember wanting him in his draft year as I thought he had something about him. He played 12 games for Collingwood as an 18/19 year old so canā€™t be too far off it. Whatā€™s his form like this year in the VFL?

I donā€™t mind taking a young bloke whose been in the system before and is still hungry for it.

1 Like

I said they are similar type players, I never said he was at Mihocekā€™s level right now.

You honestly think heā€™s going to wait for 2 years to get an opportunity ? wowā€¦watch another team swoop in and give him a go.

1 Like

I said they are similar type players, I never said he was at Mihocekā€™s level right now.

You honestly think heā€™s going to wait 2 years to get an opportunity ? wowā€¦watch another team swoop in and give him a go.

VFL Best and fairest likely going to go to VOSS or Bryan (missed a few games) or a VFL listed player IMO. Maybe a Narkle or Rasinac

Personally I think for us we should be looking at kpf/ruck would also have a double bonus of helping Voss and Bryan in the twos

1 Like

I think Wrightā€™s injury exposed us on not having a forward/ruck backup and forcing us to play Phillips, i would target this area BUT i wouldnā€™t guarantee a spot to a guy fitting this place unless they show they can step up to the level

1 Like

Many clubs have young players sit in reserves developing without opportunity early on

Voss given he was late to pick up AFL, passed over by GWS despite being in their academy and only taken as a rookie would mean heā€™s got plenty to learn which heā€™d know

Only 19yrs old. Never been settled in a position on field until now

3 Likes

So you donā€™t think he has deserved an opportunity this year ?

Gee your keen to pour hot water on the VOSS hype.

watch Cox come into the side after 1-2 VFL games.

I just donā€™t know what they expect VOSS to do.
Does he needs to play midfield and get 30 possessions and kick 5 goals (still probably not enough).

Frustrating how they set the bar high for some players and others, just need to get through a half.

6 Likes

How many of this type do North want in development at once?

1 Like

I remember there was a bit of hype around the guy they took at number 1 in the MSD in 2021. Jacob Edwards.

Cal Twomey at the time said that it was like getting a bonus first round pick as thatā€™s what he was projecting to be at seasonā€™s end.

You obviously donā€™t expect heaps of ruckmen until theyā€™re a bit older but I check the VFL stats most weeks and always see that he just does not fire a shot.

In terms of his disposals this season heā€™s had the following games: 2, 3, 4, 4, 4.
Then a few where by comparison he has shot the lights out with games of 6,7,9.

5 Likes

That was the guy whose name I couldnā€™t remember. Youā€™d assume he was gone if they recruited another, given they already would have Coleman-Jones, Comben, Xerri and some guy called Hamish Free who Iā€™ve never heard of, on top of Goldstein.

I guess maybe there is serious concerns over Combenā€™s injuryā€¦

1 Like

Phillips would love those numbers right now!

3 Likes

No Rom, he hasnā€™t ā€œdeservedā€ an opportunity yet. Let him kick 2-4 goals every week for 4-5 weeks then start thinking ā€œdeservesā€. At the moment his impact is not deserving of a promotion. His time will come. Why the rush. Let him develop his skills, learn to be consistent, then make the step up. Iā€™m a supporter of Voss, and thatā€™s why I want him to grow in the VFL and become the player we hope he will be. Iā€™d love him to develop into a CHF like the great Merrett whose very presence on the field intimidated the opposition. A great pity we lost him to Qld, but thatā€™s the sort of player I would love to see Voss become. Donā€™t you?

1 Like

Like he did from rounds 1-4 where he kicked 12 goals?

5 Likes

For some, the acknowledgment that a player deserves a game will align directly with when they are selected.

1 Like