#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

No idea what he said but he’s an idiot so fair chance it was worthless

1 Like

Pretty much said that we don’t have enough “Generals” guys like luke Hodge who will grab the young boys by the shirt and pull em into line.

Particularly in that older group. Belly, Zaharakis would be a nightmare to captain at times I reckon, especially as the elder statesmen of the team.

Hurls doesn’t seem like much of a leader off field and he has lost that lead-by-example on-field quality.

Hooker is a stud and we’re missing his influence on-field.

Myers is held in high regard, but he’s lucky to have a spot in the 22.

Smith and Shiel are still fresh faces but seem to set a good example at least.

Heppell still has to prove himself imo, he did make good strides last year and it’ll be ashame if he can’t turn the playing group around again this year, I’d back him in though.

Merrett, McGrath are the two young leaders of the future. Fantasia and Daniher have been given experience.

Gleeson sounds like he’s pretty switched on I wouldn’t be surprised if he went into coaching. Ridley seems a similar type.

I remember Langford being talked up at one stage as having leadership qualities or aspirations but tbh I haven’t seen much of that from him, on field at least.

The only leaders that I see leading out on the field and demanding players play to a certain standard are smith,hep and hooker

We are so devoid of leadership on field

2 Likes

If you show any leadership at our club you get voted out of the leadership group.

4 Likes

It is the essington way

1 Like

He may have a point, perhaps in a less meat-head way.

I’m pretty sure a General wouldn’t do that, it sounds more like something an NCO would do

2 Likes

I think a lot of people on here are not giving Heppell his due. He may not be an in your face type of captain but he certainly has a quiet word to the players, particularly the youngsters after passages of play and during the breaks. It’s just his style.

And I thought he was about the only one against GWS who actually threw himself in all day. I thought he played pretty much a lone hand. There were a few flashes of interest from some players, but I’m struggling to think of any who even looked remotely interested for the 4 quarters. Pretty damning.

3 Likes

McGrath gave a 4 1/4 effort, skills were letting him down though.

2 Likes

I think Stringer has leadership qualities. Have you seen how mad he gets at players when they make stupid decisions? Looks like he makes players accountable. More of an on field leader though.

1 Like

Actually, you’re right there IT. On both counts.

Starting to think this bloke needs to relinquish his captaincy, doesn’t seem to have an effluent efficiency to keep the team stable.

Effluent?
Affluent?
Influential?

flatulent?

I hope he doesn’t have an effluent efficiency.

i want to see more influential fluidity in hes effluent efficiency

1 Like

where’s this guy been all quarter?

Shouldn’t be captain…

Should sell A Mart furniture

having a bad game