#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - 200th game this week (Part 1)

When/if the defensive side of his game clicks he will become one of if not the best in the afl

7 clearances 10 tackles, first game as a full time mid this season. pretty good return i'd say.

would be happy to see us just going with gleeson at half back full time and only using hepp to spell the half backs rather than spend significant game time down there. bump him back to full time mid and make myers second string mid rather than first.

So who looses their spot - Dempsey or Hibberd?

When/if the defensive side of his game clicks he will become one of if not the best in the afl

Is that you, Black Kavanagh?  Your posts seem to be stuck on repeat.

7 clearances 10 tackles, first game as a full time mid this season. pretty good return i'd say.

would be happy to see us just going with gleeson at half back full time and only using hepp to spell the half backs rather than spend significant game time down there. bump him back to full time mid and make myers second string mid rather than first.

i mean for now but i'd be making dempsey smash the door down to get back in as long as gleeson is performing as well as he is. I meant full time in game, i felt over the first few weeks we were starting hepp there and using gleeson as the rotation, could be wrong though. Certainly started as sub against the blues and IIRC he got subbed off against north. 75% game time against hawks, 81% yesterday

i mean for now but i'd be making dempsey smash the door down to get back in as long as gleeson is performing as well as he is. I meant full time in game, i felt over the first few weeks we were starting hepp there and using gleeson as the rotation, could be wrong though. Certainly started as sub against the blues and IIRC he got subbed off against north. 75% game time against hawks, 81% yesterday

I want to find a spot for the kid too. Wonder how he'd go in the midfied?

Gleeson deserves his own thread... ashby/colyier out for demps

7 clearances 10 tackles, first game as a full time mid this season. pretty good return i’d say.

I’d have Gleeson over Dempsey in my best side now.

I'd have Gleeson over Dempsey in my best side now.
People have short memories on here.

You'd have Gleeson over Dempsey once fully fit and playing well?

Dempsey may have to earn his spot back for a number of reasons, but once he is good to go his experience and quality better suit him to the role going into the second half of the year.

Gleeson can have it right up until then (assuming he keeps playing like his is - or better!)

What's interesting is when Dempsey comes back, what to do with Gleeson? as if he's still playing well he wouldn't deserve to be dropped. Wonder how he'd go in a mid rotation, or winger?

Or Gleeson stays and Demps pushes up perhaps?

Its a nice problem to have!

fREEGING TREMENDOUS.

People have short memories on here.

I think it's more about Gleeson earning his spot and hasn't really put a foot wrong. Demps is going to have to earn his spot back, which hasn't had to happen for a hell of a long time.

WSPUHB

I only saw the second half of the VFL, but he got a bit of the ball and was very good at using it.
Not unless he get's some leg speed.
Makes Laycock look like Usain Bolt.
Has everthing else, but is seriously glacial.

Dyson isn't exactly Cyril Rioli himself.

Is that you, Black Kavanagh? Your posts seem to be stuck on repeat.
God forbid someone has an opinion that isn't similar to yours SN. Are you sure yours aren't on repeat?
There are people who agree with me and there are people who agree with you so maybe there is some merit to both sides eh?

l wouldn't, l would have them both in. Dempsey needs to come back and is in our mythical best 22, but he should not come back in at the expense of Gleeson. One doesn't have to replace the other.

God forbid someone has an opinion that isn't similar to yours SN. Are you sure yours aren't on repeat?
There are people who agree with me and there are people who agree with you so maybe there is some merit to both sides eh?

Lol, how are mine on repeat?

It seems all you have to say on Heppell in a few other threads is his defensive side to his game is bad and then this post pops up spouting the same thing.

The single-mindedness of both the posts made me suspicious.

The amount of times I've seen Heppell run back to plug gaps around the back 50 (which in many cases have lead to intercept marks) doesn't lead me to believe he's is bad defensively.  I've also noticed he has been used as a ball user moving out of defence.

Sure, maybe he doesn't chase all the time but maybe it's because he isn't as quick and doesn't have the tank to be running forward and back all the time.

Lol, how are mine on repeat?

It seems all you have to say on Heppell in a few other threads is his defensive side to his game is bad and then this post pops up spouting the same thing.

The single-mindedness of both the posts made me suspicious.

The amount of times I've seen Heppell run back to plug gaps around the back 50 (which in many cases have lead to intercept marks) doesn't lead me to believe he's is bad defensively.  I've also noticed he has been used as a ball user moving out of defence.

Sure, maybe he doesn't chase all the time but maybe it's because he isn't as quick and doesn't have the tank to be running forward and back all the time.
Not blessed with an abundance of pace, but sometimes you just have to chase, and chase harder than Dyson does. He makes up for this shortcoming to a great etent by reading the ball better than most and using his footy smarts to impact a lot more contests than most others. ls that a fair trade off? lt is for mine. Gets to a lot of contests, wins them and racks up plenty of possies which usually go to our advantage.

Heppell's had some bona fide high possession games lately, 2 around the 35 mark IIRC, which would be about 95th percentile in a game I'd guess.

That's a combination of running a lot, getting to contests, presenting as an option your team mates want to take, plus using the ball well so they want to keep giving it to you. I guess it comes down to the coaches too, possibly instructing the guys to get it to him more often.

Will be interesting to see how his brother comes along, he might get a real taste for it living in Melbourne and decide he wants to give it a proper crack.

As for the Gleeson v Dempsey debate, I'd have Dempsey in a heartbeat over Gleeson. Gleeson will become an excellent player, but I think people are a bit over excited because he's so "serviceable" for a new guy. Van Unen makes Gleeson look like James Hird. It will be interesting to see where Gleeson ends up, he's doing his apprenticship at HBF atm but could be anything after a year or 2.

Agreed. People forget Dempsey, when on, was in our top 5 players last year and the year before I reckon.

can overhead mark as well

got it all old dys

Surely thats a ■■■■ take about Gleeson before Demps.

Dempsey to come back in.

Gleeson to take Zakas spot untill he pulls his finger out. (Willing to give a break this week if sick but has been under performing all season.)