#21 Dyson "Go jam it” Heppell - goes alright

Even with his issues in the past, he’s always been pretty good overhead.

1 Like

Heppell’s insight into life post-captaincy

Dyson Heppell chats to SEN Radio about life after stepping down as captain.

Skipper Dyson Heppell is closing in on 200 games. (Photo: AFL Photos)

After six years as the Bombers’ captain, the 2023 AFL season has sought quite the change for Dyson Heppell.

In an interview on SEN Radio, Heppell discussed life outside captaincy responsibility, leadership under Brad Scott and the newfound freedom he’s established after the career-changing decision came to fruition.

“It was more of a weight off my shoulders than I thought it would be,” Heppell said.

“I do believe it has freed me up to play my best footy.”

His most recent performance against West Coast resulted in an efficient 23 disposals and a match-high 13 marks.

Heppell also highlighted his role in the internal transition within the new leadership group, Zach Merrett (captain) and Andy McGrath (deputy captain).

“There was a bit of a teething period in finding where my leadership sits by trying to empower those guys (Merrett & McGrath) to take over completely.” He said.

He added his praises to the efforts of Scott and the new style of coaching he brought to the table.

“He’s (Scott) been super so far and has upheld a healthy balance of knowing when to care and offer complete support to the group.”

“Brad’s system-based approach is being embraced entirely by the guys, me included, Heppell said.

6 Likes

“’ ‘A significant call’: Power shock as skipper axed” https://www.afl.com.au/news/941063
Our man found form in the AFL

The article is meh, audio is excellent.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise that he’d won our Best Clubman award SEVEN times! Incredible.

7 Likes

Might just be a bit of a pointer why he is held is such regard by the players and coaches

4 Likes

As long as they didn’t watch him trying to sing and dance in Bourke St behind Darryl Braithwaite.

3 Likes

I thought that Best Clubman and Most Improved were given to the dud player that the club liked but felt sorry for.

1 Like

Who is going to tell @Bacchusfox he won most improved poster on blitz last year?

19 Likes

A couple of years ago, Marty Gleeson won the trainers award for ‘respect and courtesy to the training staff’ or something like that. Poor bloke.

I am not a big fan of Braithwaite but really enjoyed the segment where the players were involved, including Heppell who obviously enjoyed himself and it showed.

It was as cringey as the flash mob. Bogans sining karaoke to the most lame Aussie song ever made.

1 Like

So now you are laying claim to being the arbiter of musical taste. Carry on.

1 Like

Lol take a joke CJ.

If you want jokes, look here. I started this thread over 20 years ago.

9 Likes

Lame

Played well again today. His kicking has been much better. Fantastic to see !

3 Likes

He also chased harder, and showed more desperation. Giving up the captaincy obviously agrees with him, playing with more freedom than l have seen from him in years.

2 Likes

I’m really pleased for him, had a great game today.

2 Likes

90% DE this week. His numbers have been fantastic since the first 4 rounds.

11 Likes