#22 - Jake Carlisle: Gone

According to 5AA, STK have offered #5 to the Crows for #9 and #28. #9 goes to us for Carlisle.

Assuming that either #28 or STK 2nd pick goes for Freeman, it opens an interesting question. Surely we could throw in pick 23 instead of involving Crows. So two options:

Pick 4 and 5 (plus melksham pick)

Or

Pick 4, 9 and 23.( plus melksham pick)

It seems counterintuitive, but in an even and shallow draft it may not be the best thing to run with the two pick version. If you think you can get the player you want at #9, and you think an even crop will present several candidates in the early 20ā€™s, then a club starved of draft picks might prefer the 3 pick pathway.

Considering one of Parish or Francis is guaranteed if we want them at #4. Look for a tall (supposedly there are good talls for the 1st round) or 2nd mid at our 2nd pick and then see what falls through to 23 and 25. If the talent dries up at 30, four prior to 25 is a good haul.

Sal you may be onto something there.

With tue turn over of players looking upwards of 7 or 8 we may actually need the picks to fill out the list.

I donā€™t think player turnover will be that high.

At this stage we have:
Definate Outs (3)
Chapman
Winders
Fletcher

Likely Outs (3)
Melksham
Carlisle
EKav

Definate Ins (1)
Smack

Probable Stay (3)
Stanton
Dempsey
Pears

Probable Ins (1)
Luenberger

So you have 6 likely Out, 2 likely in. That leaves us with 4 list spots available. If we can get 4+5+23+25/29 then that would be perfect. Then they will need to assess if Dempsey is worth a 3rd round pick and Pears the same. I would suggest that both those players would be worth more than a 3rd rounder in this draft.

Bringing in 4 young players in the the first 25 picks will absolutely set us up for a strong rebuild and why we need to keep hold of that Melksham pick.

With it looking likely we will need to use at least 4 picksā€¦ then it just becomes whether you prefer:
4,5, 25,41
or

Personally I like option B.

Youā€™ve forgotten we have already delisted Dalgliesh and Aylett.

So at least 8.

get rid of him, haā€¦I think he may be getting rid of us.

Hooker and Hurley held the backline together until Hooker had to go forward to accommodate Carlisle. The backline is now a shambles without Hooker chiming in with intercept marks. Carlisle couldn't get near Lynch when he needed to to spoil. A key back needs to be able to spoil first ala Hurley. If Carlise cant grasp playing as a forward there is no place for him in the side.....IMO its forward or get rid of him

If true it puts the club in a strong position, take what youā€™re worth to us or row your boat elsewhere, the only catch is going to FARKCARLTANK in the PSD, thatā€™s takes the wind out of the sales.

Do you think Carlton recruiters etc are getting an urgent message to the coach to stop winning the game?

Menzel just looks to have done a shoulder. Gone down to the rooms. Injury prone family.

Do you think Carlton recruiters etc are getting an urgent message to the coach to stop winning the game?

Yep I think so.

First time ever I am barracking for farkcarlton. Makes me feel quite ill. Think I will need a sicky tomorrow

Go Carlton go! Beat the demons!

Very positive, pro-Carlisle article on the club web siteā€¦ does have the taste of being a fluff piece so beware.

Interim Essendon Coach Matthew Egan has commended Jake Carlisle for the way he has conducted himself in recent weeks.

Carlisle came within metres of being the hero for the Bombers last night as his last second snap went through for a behind in the sideā€™s two-point loss to Gold Coast.

ā€œAs soon as (Tom) Lynch went behind the ball, he put himself one out of the square and just tried to make Lynch defend one on one,ā€ Egan told 3AW today.

ā€œHe was actually out on the lead, I reckon he had five or six metres on the lead and the kick just went over his head.ā€

The match against the Suns came after a week where there were claims of discontent, but Egan said Carlisle has been excellent to work with.

ā€œHe was pretty upset when the article came out the other day,ā€ he said.

ā€œHe was walking off the ground and he swore or something like that but it was nothing against the club.

ā€œI used to sit on the bench at Geelong when I was development coach and I used to get yelled at by Joel Corey for sitting in his chair.

ā€œThen Iā€™d get yelled by (Jimmy) Bartel for putting the drink bottle in the wrong place.

ā€œItā€™s what happens when you want to win and you get frustrated and I think thatā€™s all that happened with Jake.ā€

Carlisle is out of contract at the end of the season and given his ability to play at either end of the ground, his services are likely to be highly sought after.

But Egan said Carlisleā€™s actions have been positive.

ā€œIā€™ve been his line coach for the last four weeks and heā€™s been an absolute pleasure to coach,ā€ he said.

ā€œHeā€™s always in my office, heā€™s wanting to learn, heā€™s really engaged with the group.

ā€œIf he was disengaged, if he didnā€™t want to talk with players Iā€™d get that feeling (that he may leave) but heā€™s the opposite.

ā€œAfter the loss last week (against Adelaide) we caught up as a group and he was probably the last to leave. Heā€™s in a really good frame of mind.

ā€œThere is a fair bit going on at our club as well so I can understand itā€™s a big decision for him.

ā€œHis actions so far and what Iā€™ve seen I can only speak pretty positively about him.ā€

Go Melbourne go ā€¦ tankitty tank tank, as tanky as you can tank.

Fluff or not is is a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  relief to read something positive about his situation. For me, any port in a storm, I suppose.

Very positive, pro-Carlisle article on the club web site.... does have the taste of being a fluff piece so beware.

Interim Essendon Coach Matthew Egan has commended Jake Carlisle for the way he has conducted himself in recent weeks.

Carlisle came within metres of being the hero for the Bombers last night as his last second snap went through for a behind in the sideā€™s two-point loss to Gold Coast.

ā€œAs soon as (Tom) Lynch went behind the ball, he put himself one out of the square and just tried to make Lynch defend one on one,ā€ Egan told 3AW today.

ā€œHe was actually out on the lead, I reckon he had five or six metres on the lead and the kick just went over his head.ā€

The match against the Suns came after a week where there were claims of discontent, but Egan said Carlisle has been excellent to work with.

ā€œHe was pretty upset when the article came out the other day,ā€ he said.

ā€œHe was walking off the ground and he swore or something like that but it was nothing against the club.

ā€œI used to sit on the bench at Geelong when I was development coach and I used to get yelled at by Joel Corey for sitting in his chair.

ā€œThen Iā€™d get yelled by (Jimmy) Bartel for putting the drink bottle in the wrong place.

ā€œItā€™s what happens when you want to win and you get frustrated and I think thatā€™s all that happened with Jake.ā€

Carlisle is out of contract at the end of the season and given his ability to play at either end of the ground, his services are likely to be highly sought after.

But Egan said Carlisleā€™s actions have been positive.

ā€œIā€™ve been his line coach for the last four weeks and heā€™s been an absolute pleasure to coach,ā€ he said.

ā€œHeā€™s always in my office, heā€™s wanting to learn, heā€™s really engaged with the group.

ā€œIf he was disengaged, if he didnā€™t want to talk with players Iā€™d get that feeling (that he may leave) but heā€™s the opposite.

ā€œAfter the loss last week (against Adelaide) we caught up as a group and he was probably the last to leave. Heā€™s in a really good frame of mind.

ā€œThere is a fair bit going on at our club as well so I can understand itā€™s a big decision for him.

ā€œHis actions so far and what Iā€™ve seen I can only speak pretty positively about him.ā€

if Egan is referring to Jakes on the siren shot, he needs to watch the game closer. Demps handballed it short behind him as he was running towards goal.

Essendon have told Tom Browne they now have two better offers for Carlisle. Over to you Saints

Whoā€™s Tom Browne? Their list manager? Also, does it even matter? Heā€™s nominated Saints and heā€™s determined to stay in Vic.

Out: Carlisle, pick 23 In: Pick 5 & 44

Simple. Saints get a decent upgrade on top of Carlisle that they can on-trade to get Freeman (they might have to bundle it up with something else but it makes life easier).

We hit the draft with picks 4, 5, 25 (Melk) & 44.

Weā€™re still getting unders overall - essentially trading Carlisle and Melk for pick 5 and a third rounder - but itā€™s a pretty fair deal and should get the job doneā€¦ youā€™d hope.

No thanksā€¦ Pick 5 is simply not worth Carlisle AND our 2nd rounder.

On the subject of knives, If I recall Hislop and knives are connected.

sheedy always had the ability to make steak knives into champs his still at the club in some capacity stanton on the other hand is wet beach towel

What? Besides the stupid dig at Stanton, who has been our best mid all year. Who did Sheedy make a star from steak knives? Campo, Murphy?

he will be the worst 300 gamer essendon will have ever in history dean wallis is what u call steak knive made him a champ

Dean Wallis was hardly a champ and he wasnā€™t steak knives either - he was recruited from the bush as a teenager. Paul Barnard was arguably steak knives as was a sweetener with the Wellham for Salmon deal and had only played a game or two for Hawthorn until then.

Daryl cunningham

I donā€™t know whatā€™s worse. Getting zantuck or getting zantuck and playing him regularly

Zancannottuck

Zantuck

sheedy always had the ability to make steak knives into champs his still at the club in some capacity stanton on the other hand is wet beach towel

What? Besides the stupid dig at Stanton, who has been our best mid all year. Who did Sheedy make a star from steak knives? Campo, Murphy?

he will be the worst 300 gamer essendon will have ever in history dean wallis is what u call steak knive made him a champ

Just so we are clear hereā€¦ Dean Wallis a champ, and Stanton is not?