#23 David Myers Retyers

I’ve outlined the issues i have with our list in the offseason. Also our drafting and what not, I don’t have much issues with the plan itself, just the players we have being capable of enacting it.

2-3 years from now we don’t have jobe, kelly, goddard, myers, thats 3 big bodied players that can get the ball rolling, this is regardless of the opinions i have about jobe and myers disposal. I was a huge advocate a few years ago when it came out melbourne were offering a first round pick for myers for us to take it. I was spewing when we took morgan and redman over a couple players in that draft (yes that includes mathieson).

Really our gameplan screams of pep’s tiki taka at manchester city last season, except he has the resources and ability to turf all of those players and get the ones he wants for his plan. our game plan suits everyone except the midfield, it suits the forwards (raz, joe, walla, green, stewart, colyer). it suits defenders (hurls, mckenna, mcgrath, kelly, gleeson), but half the midfield don’t have the skills to enact it in terms of disposal (myers, jobe, heppell).

These 3 players have severe deficiencies in terms of kicking, myers is the prodical, grab ball turn kick it 40 metres up 30 down field, jobe doesn’t trust his kicking and after a renaissance got it to acceptable for the style of footy 5 years ago. Heppell has never had penetrating and direct disposals, he is hospital loopy kicking central. They also aren’t the players you want trying to stop the other teams mids when they got the ball because pace is not a thing here. For mine hepp would be a very good HB General floating around and directing play/intercepting other teams attacks. Myers i’ve written off, jobe plays out the year.

So our midfield is left with parish, zmerrett, and zaharakis (this weeks listed team). zach has been carrying the defensive responsibilities of the team for the whole season, and as you saw last game hes wearing the costs for this. parish has been ‘enhancing his game’ in the forward line when hes a much more midfield valuable contributor than myers for me and his best game was when zach went down (2nd time vs collingwood) and parish stepped up and bossed the midfield. And zaharakis, who many say isn’t going to reach the heights we expected, and gets tagged out of games easier than JJ,and lets be honest zaka doesn’t do defensive pressure too well.

so whats the issue? we have no one to replace/fix/mask the deficiencies of the midfield.

begley? played midfield half a season in his draft year and was super unfit for most of his juniors gonna need at least 3 seasons imo.

Mutch? decent disposal and can read the play well but has nothing like pace that we need to compete with the best midfields.

clarke? kicking looks physically painful for him.

what else have we dafted lately?

redman? a utility thats swung around between HFF and HBF in the vfl? not really showed much in the games i’ve seen and just seems to have average at best disposal. (reports lately that hes been super consistent and improving).

Morgan? overcooked tinned spaghetti hamstrings.

The issues is that theres nothing that can come in the correct the issues i see with the team, and it’d be unfair for those players who have been forced as a square peg into a round hole to even get it in their first attempt.

With the players i’ve mentioned too, I only see begley and mutch really making it in the future, but mutch needs to get bigger, and begley the tank.

So yes i don’t think we’ll be that good going forward because our draft sanctions and drafting strategy since then hasn’t been much help to rebuild the glaring issues on our list demographics.

I see 2 needs in the next 4-5 years, KPPs (hooker and hurley will be getting on and we need to start grooming them soon) and midfielders, and i think we’ll always go best available tall over midfielders because of the philosophy disco was taught by sheedy, unless the talls are that woeful not even the wackiest phantom drafter from big footy would pick one at pick 1.

1 Like

Do some of you live in a fantasy land or complete denial or is it just a Essendon thing? Bottom three in wins for the last decade. Longest losing finals streak. Near on 20 years of utter fkn ■■■■

Maybe when we actually turn the corner after over a decade of doing things like losing to the worst side for years down a player at home after being up 5 goals in the last, or actually stepping up to big moments - ie dogs game, people might be, just might, or you know, make finals and fkn win one, people might believe we’re heading in the right direction

People seriously underrate how long we’ve been terrible for. We all don’t want to be sh*t anymore but you can fck right off if your one of these preachers who believes it’s their right how to tell people how they should be reacting to anything or how people should vent their frustrations. Everyone’s different, get over yourselves

14 Likes

well ■■■■, what has our club been doing for those 15 years?

1 Like

Spot-fcking-on.

Could we pin this post please? And if one more idiot tells me “b-b-b-but success is just around the corner” I’ll laugh. We’re no closer than what we were in 2009.

3 Likes

It’s the abuse of an Essendon player that’s the problem, not the vernacular, you ignorant streak of cat ■■■■.
Get the difference?

You can point out their shortcomings, doubt they’ll ever make the grade, suggest they should be dropped for eternity. Fair enough.
You and he wouldn’t have lasted five minutes under the windsock.

It’s puzzling how much certain people rate this guy, he is so opposite to elite it’s not funny, his kicking is awful, he can only use his left foot, he doesn’t have any presence in the contest, and yet people say his best is elite…, he’s just an average footballer.

Langford had a great game against Brisbane and was the only one dropped after that (I will never understand why), Myers comes in and does nothing special, I would rather see Jobe and Langford rotating in the middle for the rest of the season.

1 Like

That’s the better I expected from you.

• Sheedy didn’t change with the times and we lost Thompson to Geelong because of it, we had some amazing talent in 2003-2006 (Hird, Lucas, Fletcher and Lloyd alone should have been good for 15 wins) but couldn’t win.
  • Knights I’m not sure about, but Brendan Bolton is giving him a template for coaching a young team without getting the sack (i.e. make sure that the losses are close ones)
  • Hird understood and preached modern leadership principles but came unstuck because he was too inexperienced to recognise and mitigate risk
  • Thompson took us to within a bees ■■■■ of our first finals win in 15 odd years with a list that was paralysed by the saga. He is a truly great coach.
  • Hird when he returned was an utter disaster, perhaps his (and the club’s) reaction to the breach of trust from Dank was to over compensate with controls, perhaps he had lost the players’ trust, no idea. But we were beyond terrible that year.
  • Worsfold is leading us out of the darkness. He fixed our terrible forward line in a matter of months (we went from worst in the league to 2nd best in the league overnight) and he will fix our midfield in time.
5 Likes

Cool thread

1 Like

QFT

1 Like

I come into these forums and leave again feeling like ■■■■.
Thanks, fellow Bombers.

the use of the word wasnt abusive. get a grip.

1 Like

Take some bovril.

2 Likes

1 Like

We need the ignore facility back…now!!!

3 Likes

Go wild

1 Like

In every thread, the complexity or particular focus of any discussion becomes reduced to extreme positions that devolves into name calling and claims of ignorance/disloyalty. It’s a real joy.

There should be two separate forums.
Forum segregation.

We have blown two rebuilds now, one through a couple of ■■■■ drafting years (Myers being in the last of them) and the other through loosing half a side to the saga.

The sooner everybody can realise we need to move to the next generation coming through the better. We have set ourselves back not maximising games into Langford, Francis, Redman etc.