#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

DONS FANS!

DO YOU LIKE A PUNT?

Love his passion and is able to single handedly lift the team. Is an excellent leader and maybe even future captain. Always one of the first to celebrate a goal with his teammates.

12 Likes

That would be a big turnaround to captain EFC

Think he is up to it for sure in time

Has anyone given a specific reason for why he got penalised on that Tippa goal, apart from the media saying it was an obvious free? It was certainly unnecessary in the context, because the defender was never going to touch it.

because, Essendon.

4 Likes

I love that whenever we are in trouble, he just grabs the ball and lifts the whole side

7 Likes

Unnecessarily rough play for the situation, I’m guessing. Didn’t help it was directly in the guy’s back. He really only needed any sort of contact to the guy’s body to do the job.

On the bigger issues, anyone got any idea why a Freo jumper with more red meant we had to wear our jumper with more red?

Pondering whether there’s any sort of logical reasoning on the AFL “clash jumper” issue is one of the more futile things in life. It’s total and utter crap.

6 Likes

I haven’t heard one. It wasn’t front-on contact. It was shepherding, but you’re allowed to do that when the ball is within 5 metres, as it was in this case because he hit his opponent at the last second. It looked like a plain wrong decision to me.

5 Likes

Essendon in Perth. What more justification for the decision do you need?

2 Likes

I’d dispute that it was in the back, too.

4 Likes

It wasn’t, it was in the side.

1 Like

Pick 25 and 30…

WHAT A STEAL!

7 Likes

I’d love to see Jake in a new-look EFC leadership group next year along with Hepp, Saad, Smith, Hurley.

4 Likes

Block, shepherd, interference - no way ball was within 5m when Stringer first made contact. Stringer wasn’t trying to mark the ball, so can’t prevent opp from going for it - same as a marking contest. However, they usually don’t pay those for goal line interference where forwards get away with lots blocking defenders - so it was unusual to see it paid.

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about first contact. At first neither knew whether the ball would go over the line or not, and they were both jostling for position, quite legally. The only actual shepherd was the bump at the last second.

1 Like

Leaders pick themselves. And the ones you have listed, along with Sheil have all demonstrated the ability to inspire others and have people follow them.
Whilst I know our present leadership group has been mainly injured this year, most of them don’t come across as inspiring others to follow.

Made for finals. Will be the difference in September.
Honourable mentions - Parish, Merrett, Shiel, Heppell, Walla, McKernan and McKenna

2 Likes

No way he would become captain. Much more to being captain than just celebrating goals.

He brings a lot of passion, that’s for sure, and by all reports he does a lot off field for the community. IMO he’s quickly becoming one of those spiritual leaders, but not one that will probably ever get official recognition

3 Likes

It looked like it carried the guy forward.

Anyone got a replay?