#25 Jake Stringer (Part 1)

Not being one who thinks too deeply about his options is both his strength and weakness

2 Likes

To be fair to Stringer, there are also countless examples of him looking for and pulling the trigger on better options throughout the year.

1 Like

I love him - he’s all ‘see ball, get ball, kick goal’ most of the time and that’s great.

You need guys in the team who can turn nothing into a goal scoring opportunity before anyone else’s realised what’s happened.

7 Likes

Looks good at Kardinia park. I wish he’d nominated us

3 Likes

Legend

MIA that quarter

1 Like

First time he’s ever had 3 games in a row of 20+ disposals. Also been kicking goals.
Great signs for the next few years

13 Likes

Yeah I think he gets his 3yrs…with a 4th year trigger.

I think he had 5 shots at goal in that 1st quarter alone. With the form he is in at the moment he could have a really, really big day out.

He does need to hit up his teammates more often when they are wide open 20m in front of the goals instead of going for the low percentage glory shot though.

I really hope he does what Parish did and joins Merrett, McGrath, Langford and co during this preseason to build really build his running capacity

4 Likes

In Parish thread too

Actually looks like a midfielder….flying at the moment.

If he can consistently play like a mid our midfield depth with Shiel, McGrath and Caldwell to return is as good as anyone’s. Yes I am looking at you Doggies.

I think he played head to head with Dangerfield for most of the games. (Parish and Waterman were on Dangerfield at stages). But apart from the first quarter, Dangerfield was more damaging and took the game away from us.

The dusty role is not just a midfielder resting forward.

Not how I saw the game.

I think Danger played on Parish for the majority of the second half because Parish was killing Selwood and Guthrie and thus they may as well just let Danger run free as well.

I think that was Parish best game for us.

I think Danger went to him (loosely) and the second half and had a better 2nd half than Parish.

That’s how good Danger was.

1 Like

As good as Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Treloar and Smith?

Parish, Merret, Stringer, Shiel, Caldwell, McGrath, Langford

With some more natural development of our players (and there’s as well) yes I’d imagine you’d be able to go into that match confident you have the players to match them.

Bont is the best player. Parish second. Macrae probably edges Merret just. But…Libba and Dunkley virtually cancel each other out coz they almost play identical roles when in the midfield. Stringer is more X factor than they have and Treloar is past his best.

Look I am definitely glass half full on this but I really see that we can be as good as anyone in the midfield in time. With what has happened this year we absolutely must have that attitude that we can beat anyone in the midfield.

We just beat Cats in the midfield….just they beat us everywhere else fairly comfortably.

1 Like

I love it when Jake takes a mark and he is goal side of his opponent and takes a few steps back and gives his opponent the don’t argue and runs on towards goal. I noticed he has done it a few times in the last couple of weeks. He has been brushing off the tackles with ease as well most of the time.

2 Likes

His best is unstoppable.

He still goes missing, and that’s what stops him being elite.

Hes not yet fit enough to be a full time midfielder.
Hopefully he really really puts his head down over the summer on improving his running.
So stoked where he is at atm though regardless.

He looks in the best condition he’s been since his all aus year in 2015. His midfield minutes over the last 3 weeks have been enormous. I think you might be underselling him a tad. It’s just we know more likely than not that he won’t maintain it, but what a dangerous dangerous weapon if he could.

1 Like