#25 Jake Stringer (Part 2)

We’ll always have that golden year where he wasn’t fat and we went on a golden run to win 11 games and got smoked in another elimination final.

1 Like

Yep no chance players will accuse of fat shaming

1 Like

If this is true, then it was a pretty daft decision. He never showed any capacity for it at the Dogs. The guy simply doesn’t have the athletic profile to fill such a role; by all reports he was training bloody hard in the off-season, and it broke him.

I hope those in charge at the club have seen the light and in future just play him as the mercurial, match-winning forward he is, with the occasion deployment at the centre bounce. Almost certain he will break down again if they try to get him fit enough to play majority midfield.

IDGAF where they play him. But just once, can he do the team thing?

He’s so predictable.

4 Likes

Watch Dodoro’s interview after we traded for Stringer. Says we got him to play midfield (and a bit forward).

Interesting discussion if that was the best list management call given his history

1 Like

Stringer should play out rest of season in the magoos and really commence now on his fitness for next season.

1 Like

If there was any player a recruiting team thought could have stratospheric upside in a new environment it was Jake Stringer at 24 years of age.

Jake won’t end up contributing (directly) to our next list peak, but I would never consider it the wrong move for a pair of second round picks.

We need to continue to take those upside risks when they present (Not Degoey).

5 Likes

Kinda like this? https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/essendon/the-devil-in-the-detail-of-jake-stringers-essendon-bombers-contract/news-story/c03863d914c3c30dd7c9623c82064b30

Tbh it’s behind a paywall and the only mention of it I can find on the internet so very possibly untrue. Daniel Cherny isn’t exactly an unknown sports reporter though

don’t care what you say to get someone like stringer for peanuts. he makes our midfield or forward line 100% better when he’s fit enough to be in it. Was worth the risk. not like he’s holding us up getting more talent in. we have $2m of cap space.

10 Likes

Yep.

I find Stringer tremendously frustrating, and agree that he’s underperformed, but all recruitment is some level of gamble.
He was worth what we spent.

11 Likes

I want him to kick 6 today. We need a dominate game from Jake.

look at his weight during his dogs days, and first year here, it wasn’t a stretch to see it working.

then by 2019 by default they’ve gone you’re gonna have to play mostly forward cos all we have is an injured daniher, brown and mckernan as key forwards, so we need you to bulk up to play as a permanent key forward, to which he’s definitely been stuck in mozzies “dirty bulk” phase.

the hard thing to know with him going forward is, you can’t get him fitter cos he will break down,and then any work is lost. he’s not good enough to repeat the purple patch of form last year without said fitness.

3 Likes

he’s back

2 Likes

Don’t know, he’s dining out on Norf. But yeah, he’s had a good day.

4 Likes

good step back

You knew he wouldn’t miss the chance to dine out on a sh¡t team like North.

7 Likes

Well, 5 goals is 5 goals. So I can’t be too critical.

1 Like

Well, I’d rather he dine out on Norf than be ineffective against Norf.

5 Likes

Playing 3 genuine forwards might be what he needs to be unleashed.

1 Like