#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

For me … it seems he’s fighting his instinct to run and gun vs play a more austere and often sideways role. He can defend, he attacks, he tackles and he’s pretty fearless. He’s no major star … not yet anyhow. But I like him a lot as a Bomber, flinging off half back and loving charging through the corridor. He kicks a goal too

We’re trying to play a system that cripples players like Mason, Nick Hind and a few others that exemplify Essendon FC. We ARE a running team … always have been and always will be. Mason Redman is a true Bomber … look after him Truck and you coaches, and encourage his attacking ways.

9 Likes

We were a running team. A lot of our quick players have left. We’re have fitness issues.

This isn’t a vision problem, it’s a bad decision. He doesn’t have that kick across his body, the lasers he shoots onto chests are when he’s running straight at his target and kicking a dart. He shouldn’t be taking that option across his body into congestion, that’s a kick for Merrett (on his left) and not many others in the team. Dogs are just really really well set up here and Redman needed to find a safe release option rather than trying to force the play. Maybe there wasn’t one.

6 Likes

He didn’t see Libba behind MacRae and he had his eyes on Merrett, was going to get him on his chest. It was just unlucky. That said, he did have a bad game.

2 Likes

Yes, still has more instep on it than he’d like though and that’s a mistake he often makes when going across his body

1 Like

He should be playing midfield. Got some pace, got endurance and decent enough skills. Also a really good size.

Now we have Reid, we can push Lav to a flank and free up Redman.

5 Likes

We’re going to get smacked either way. Play Reid on all the danger forwards for some ■■■■■■■ good experience. That will fast track him.

I think he’s had a couple of bad games but it seems when he has bad games they are really bad and stand out. I think he’s been pretty good on the whole and always tries his heart out and tackles hard

Or shatter his confidence

1 Like

Or shatter his confidence

A different era but it didn’t cause any difficulties for “The #31

I don’t think anyone has “license” down back anymore. The luxury afforded to McKenna and Saad back in the dark days of Worsfold are long gone. Every and I mean Every player has second guessed themself and is scared shitless to turn the ball over, so that’s exactly what they do, trying to avoid it.

Kick into the corridor, do not do it. Under any circumstances! So, thats what Mason did. Just do not kick to Parish one on one with a real big bodied mid like Cripps or Bont fcs. Surely thats obvious.

3 Likes

out of curiosity, where has that “running team” every landed us ?

maybe if players got it out of their head we are anything but an ordinary team and that they should do their utmost best to adapt to whatever way is best going to improve them, maybe they might actually you know, not suck at either system.

the “running” game you speak of has never and will never win against top teams or finals.

but here we are, supposedly players are crippled by being asked to play against a way that doesn’t work.

he needs to be moved out of the backline, that’s for sure. I used to like watching him, but he’s just turned into something that typifies essington week to week.

he flys under the radar, esp this season and has deserved more criticism for his games so far. he’s just not that good esp against top sides. and how long do you continue with a 25 yr old who is making these rookie mistakes ?

i mean i know essendon will continue on with him for at least another 5 years, but a ruthless club would probably be looking to trade him at the end of this season.

1 Like

I don’t mind it, Redman is a hard ■■■■.

1 Like

Great game. Shame about the cancelled goal as it was champagne Red Dog

16 Likes

The good reddog came out to play.

2 Likes

He’s been really great the last few weeks.

4 Likes

Do not argue

Hawthorn spud

7 Likes

Sliced through the corridor is what we’ve missed.

1 Like

He pulled the don’t argue out at least 3 times. Including 2 in one play!

4 Likes