#27 Mason Redman - till end 2028

Seems to overstride when sprinting.

His trick looks to be working hard and being good overhead for his size. Given that I can see why they might suggest Gunston, but he’s more a mid size. Hopefully Blumfield at his best.

Reflecting on those good sides we’ve had in the AFL era thread, what was clear was that a lot of the guys we had were dangerous marking targets. In 2000 for instance, ignoring Lloyd, Lucas, Alessio, we could feel comfortable to isolate any of Hird, Blumfield, Barnard, Caracella even Mercuri and Long one on one against their opponent and they’d be likely to mark the ball, and if they didn’t they’d beat them on the ground.

Adding Langford and Laverde and Francis and Redman is a good start to building up a whole swathe of options who can be dangerous with the ball in he air forward.

The only pick I am not convinced about. I know one of the phantoms had us taking him so the pick is about where it is supposed to be. Just the tall skinny kid thing doesnt inspire confidence. I get that he is supposed to be a mobile forward and we believe Langford's future lies in the middle but feels too short for that role and too skinny for the middle.

I know nothing whatsoever but for me, he needs a couple of solid tricks. Hopefully he has them

His trick is to be tough, allusive and damaging by foot allegedly.
How does that work? He wins his own ball then proceeds to engage the opposition in conversation by saying "it's possible that a team mate of mine who is partial to pointing may end up getting a rather pleasant surprise soon" and before the opposition has worked out what's going on he's already hit BJ with a bullet pass?
or he just meant elusive
Actually I'm pretty sure he meant illusive. Rumours of Redman's magical prowess are one of the reasons Disco's jackets advised him to pick the kid.

I’m with AB here. Can’t really see what job he does in the AFL, purely based on his junior career and how he’s described. My research on him is immaculate, honestly spotless.

Wait and see.

He’s like a tiger. But without the stripes and stuff, and only two feet. And he’s a man.

He's like a tiger. But without the stripes and stuff, and only two feet. And he's a man.
I'm with AB here. Can't really see what job he does in the AFL, purely based on his junior career and how he's described. My research on him is immaculate, honestly spotless.

Wait and see.

Surely you know that any tallish mid who is good overhead is fyfe?

I'm with AB here. Can't really see what job he does in the AFL, purely based on his junior career and how he's described. My research on him is immaculate, honestly spotless.

Wait and see.

He will turn out fine IMO, have heard a lot of good stuff about him. One of his coaches at Glenelg was full of praise for him.

Wait and see.

He will turn out fine IMO, have heard a lot of good stuff about him. One of his coaches at Glenelg was full of praise for him.

Has an incredible work rate and commitment to getting better apparently.

Very determined and dedicated young man by the sounds of things who is hell bent on getting the absolute best out of himself.

Wait and see.

Has an incredible work rate and commitment to getting better apparently.

Very determined and dedicated young man by the sounds of things who is hell bent on getting the absolute best out of himself.

And THAT is quite often what gets you there.
The draftees are all talented, one of the defining factors is how they cope above the shoulders.

The only pick I am not convinced about. I know one of the phantoms had us taking him so the pick is about where it is supposed to be. Just the tall skinny kid thing doesnt inspire confidence. I get that he is supposed to be a mobile forward and we believe Langford's future lies in the middle but feels too short for that role and too skinny for the middle.

I know nothing whatsoever but for me, he needs a couple of solid tricks. Hopefully he has them

I know it didn’t work out well for Fletch.

Maybe Allblack would prefer a short fat one.

I’ve only seen a highlights package, but from that and how some draft watchers are talking about him, the comparison that springs to mind is Blake Caracella.

Would be thrilled to see that sort of class and poise in a red and black jumper again.

Maybe Allblack would prefer a short fat one.

More free spirit’s go, I’d think. Providing the short fan one refers to a “medicinal” substance.

Wait and see.

As far as you know, has he had defined (consistent) roles in SANFL/juniors?

My worry is he sounds like the kid who’s good enough in juniors (and a good enough size) that he can play forward/mid/back and do pretty well at all of them - jack of all trades, I just hope we have a plan for him.

I know 2/5ths of FA about him.

Anyway, onto important things.
His nickname’s gotta be “Black’n’”

The Dons used their Jake Melksham pick (30) on Mason Redman, who was up at 7am on draft day fartlek running and rated by one club as a top-10 talent.

The kid is going to get there on workrate alone. Very few come in with such professionalism already instilled as juniors.

I hope that club was Collingwood.

Wait and see.

Runner? Pie boy?

The Dons used their Jake Melksham pick (30) on Mason Redman, who was up at 7am on draft day fartlek running and rated by one club as a top-10 talent.

The kid is going to get there on workrate alone. Very few come in with such professionalism already instilled as juniors.

Nah, heaps of them do, juniors footy is mental. U16 kids (not even playing rep footy) going gym twice a week & looking after their diets, it’s a bit OTT. Heaps of kids can’t hack it.

First I was like “lolwut” then I looked it up and now I’m like “tee-hee, fart”.

Anyway, good luck to Redman. If he shanks a few in his first game, of if Bonner or Mathieson or one of those other ‘names’ gets some good early games, then by extrapolating from the trend following commentary on past drafts, he could end up tarred, feathered, drawn and quartered alongside Dodoro before he turns 21.