#29 Alwyn Davey

retire

become forward coach

teach hurley how to lead to chf

???

profit.

If we get Chappy despite concerns over his ability to play many games I think they need to delist Alwyn so we can get another pick at younger blood even if it is a high pick. Also I think we will need the pick to balance up the list age wise. I can live with replacing a 29/30 year old with Chappy.

Rather see young Hams get a go. At least he puts his body on the line.

Listening to the Blitzcast and just heard Ben joke that Frog could be rookie listed next year.
If this is a shallow draft I don't mind the idea of it. Dalgleish is going up, Hunter is gone and Dell has had two years on the rookie list meaning he is either elevated or out the door. This means there are 3 definite spots on the rookie list.

I don't mind the idea of Davey being rookie listed and then elevated before round 1 to pinch hit.

Listening to the Blitzcast and just heard Ben joke that Frog could be rookie listed next year.
If this is a shallow draft I don't mind the idea of it. Dalgleish is going up, Hunter is gone and Dell has had two years on the rookie list meaning he is either elevated or out the door. This means there are 3 definite spots on the rookie list.

I don't mind the idea of Davey being rookie listed and then elevated before round 1 to pinch hit.

Not the worst idea

Imagine come finals we have an injury and Davey comes in fresh ready to impress

I’d prefer to drop Leroy to the rookies than Davey. Don’t think it’d be a bad idea at all TBH. And either upgrade Steinberg or pick up an actual crumber (they tend to go late/rookie)

Just think Davey’s going to be more likely required early on in the year.

I'd prefer to drop Leroy to the rookies than Davey. Don't think it'd be a bad idea at all TBH. And either upgrade Steinberg or pick up an actual crumber (they tend to go late/rookie)
Just think Davey's going to be more likely required early on in the year.

Fkg concur

I'd prefer to drop Leroy to the rookies than Davey. Don't think it'd be a bad idea at all TBH. And either upgrade Steinberg or pick up an actual crumber (they tend to go late/rookie)
Just think Davey's going to be more likely required early on in the year.

Fkg concur

Yeah this is much better imo

tells Jetta that he is really on his last chance and he will either make or break it

while Jetta can potentially offer more than Davey the fact that he can't kick a goal shows that Davey must stay

I'm just a bit bewildered that we've committed to upgrade Dalgleish so early.

He did some decent things in his games, but he's a long way from being a best-22 necessity in round 1, and he plays a position where we have piles of candidates, from AA candidate level (Pig, Dempsey at his best) to very solid (Baguley) to blokes we've only just traded in.  What's the hurry?  Leave him on the rookie list, tell him "mate, you're first off the rank to be upgraded when we have an injury", and take pick 66 in the national draft instead of an extra pick at the butt-end of the rookie draft. 

Just can't see the logic there, personally.

HM

What would we get at pick 66? Another skinny flanker?

Just seems a good idea to use that pick on a guy who can play at the level (yes he didn’t star, but certainly looked up to the pace) over another hail Mary pick.

HM
Just seems a good idea to use that pick on a guy who can play at the level (yes he didn't star, but certainly looked up to the pace) over another hail Mary pick.

We've already GOT Dalgleish.  I just don't see why we need to elevate him right now.  He hasn't absolutely demanded it.  We're taking a worse draft pick than necessary, for no reason I can see.

And if you're going to go the 'all draftees are skinny flankers' card, then it's worth remembering that leaving him as a rookie gives us the best skinny flanker available at pick 66, while elevating him means we take a skinny flanker at the equivalent of pick 100 or whatever, in the rookie draft.  We're going to make a hail Mary pick ANYWAY, but elevating him means we'll do if from a more depleted draft pool.

HM
Just seems a good idea to use that pick on a guy who can play at the level (yes he didn't star, but certainly looked up to the pace) over another hail Mary pick.

We've already GOT Dalgleish. I just don't see why we need to elevate him right now. He hasn't absolutely demanded it. We're taking a worse draft pick than necessary, for no reason I can see.
And if you're going to go the 'all draftees are skinny flankers' card, then it's worth remembering that leaving him as a rookie gives us the best skinny flanker available at pick 66, while elevating him means we take a skinny flanker at the equivalent of pick 100 or whatever, in the rookie draft. We're going to make a hail Mary pick ANYWAY, but elevating him means we'll do if from a more depleted draft pool.
Yeah, I see your point.
A lot must depend on how the coaches see the progress of Ashby and Van Unen.
But just say Dempsey rolls an ankle round 1, and Dalgleish is the obvious replacement. He can't be if he is on the rookie list, because his spot is being filled by some random pick 66.
I just thought that was the point of the rookie list. If you find a guy who is up to the pace of AFL, with a skill set we need, you upgrade him.
I do see what you mean between the difference of pick 66, and pick whatever in the rookie draft. They are both hail Mary picks, but only one takes up a spot on the senior list, and is therefore more of a risk.
And I guess all this was said about Baguley last year too.

It may just be that with the 2 or 3 rookie picks we’ll use we already know who we want and we’re confident that no-one else will take them.

Eg.

I think there was a bloke that played VFL this year that the odd person might want. Benfti may have even mentioned him once or twice.

Not the worst idea

Imagine come finals we have an injury and Davey comes in fresh ready to impress

I honestly dont think Davey is the sort of person who can just 'pinch hit', or come in when needed after extended stints in the VFL.

Would be a waste of a rookie spot if we were to rookie him for that purpose IMO, but if there's nothing else, I wouldn't be against it.

Leaving aside the issue of the perversion of the admirable intention of the rookie list, I can't see how this helps the players or the club. We've picked up some terrific players via the rookie list over the years, genuine first 22 types. We are currently dealing with a difficult drafting scenario and one way to offset that is to find players outside the main draft.

We're limiting our chances of doing that if we use the rookie list to stockpile veterans or "dump" contracted players or refuse to refresh the list. Make the call after 2 years. It's in the team's interest and I suspect the players would benefit in the long run too. Aren't we wasting their time if they're not going to make it? Elevate them or cut them.

I think we should have 4 fresh rookies this year and the team should be inviting plenty of potential talent to the club to try out.

He did some decent things in his games, but he's a long way from being a best-22 necessity in round 1, and he plays a position where we have piles of candidates, from AA candidate level (Pig, Dempsey at his best) to very solid (Baguley) to blokes we've only just traded in.  What's the hurry?  Leave him on the rookie list, tell him "mate, you're first off the rank to be upgraded when we have an injury", and take pick 66 in the national draft instead of an extra pick at the butt-end of the rookie draft. 

Because he's 2nd year... can't we not keep him on there any longer? Dell excepted due to being interstate? Dunlop still hasn't clarified.

I am surprised that Dell'Olio has been offered a third year. Doubt that steinberg will be around - That would make it 2 years on the primary list and 2 years on the rookie list. 

It's unfortunate that he is the only player in the list that seems to be able to get to the position where a CHF should present.

How come everyone in the world recognizes this, except for the Essendon Brains Trust?

Edit: and our midfielders who love kicking it over his head so it misses by "just that much".

Because he's 2nd year... can't we not keep him on there any longer? Dell excepted due to being interstate? Dunlop still hasn't clarified.

I absolutely understand HM's point, and probably agree. But I also remember thinking why the hell is Baguley being upgraded 12 months ago.

I am surprised that Dell'Olio has been offered a third year. Doubt that steinberg will be around - That would make it 2 years on the primary list and 2 years on the rookie list.

Is this for real??
Appreciate Del's efforts,not up to it though,carbon copy of Jetta & we can only have one of those if any..
Show us Steinberg for curiosities sake!!
As for Froggy,when we play well,he does play well,must keep!!