#3 Darcy "Darcy Parish" Parish - Shiel can play forward pocket instead

I like Parish when he has the ball.

But he is most definitely a one way runner and this is probably the reason he was dropped early last season.

1 Like

We have Shiel,Merret,McGrath as out side mids who can deliver the ball also Tippa when he rotates through there

what games are you watching?
Did you notice we won the clearances the other night and Brisbane absolutely smashed us on the outside? One of your big, slow inside mids isnā€™t going to help with that

Yeah they did because they had some one like Neale feeding the ball out

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

At this point what we would actually get in a trade? a late first round, if we were lucky?

Have to be careful about being critical of players defensive running. In terms of pace, Parish is on the slow end. He probably knows that he hasnā€™t got the pace to chase down players who are already on the move.
Iā€™m more critical of Shiel and McGrath for their defensive efforts because they have the speed but sometimes just stop running.

And Neale is a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  midget! Do you get it now? People who keep saying we need a big-bodied mid clearly know nothing about footy.

Shiel, Adams, Treloar, Neale, Parker, Simpkin, Zak Jones, Oā€™Meara, Gresham, McGrath, and Boak are in top 10 (tied with some players) for clearances and they are not big bodied.

Getting the pill is one thing, to dispose of it efficiently is an entirely different thing.

2 Likes

Parish could be better defensively (just like almost all of our mids) but he is good at clearances and by that I mean disposing the pill with his hands. He has good vision, better than McGrath at the moment, imo.

Also, he has been kicking goals for us (according to @Killer_Mike, only good/elite midfielders do that). I donā€™t think criticism of him is fully warranted.

2 Likes

Iā€™d disagree with you there. Simpkin is not big bodied but Adams, Treloar, Parker, Neale& co all have a lot more muscle mass in their upper bodies than any of our lot.

Treloar is not muscly at all

Not muscly, Iā€™ll agree, but hardened & well defined.

Are you saying big-bodied = muscular, as in well cut? In that case, Ham is big-bodied, lol.

But that is not the point. Size doesnā€™t often reflect oneā€™s strength or skills in extracting the pill.

Iā€™m simply saying that our midfield look small compared to most. A very sweeping statement I know, but thatā€™s how it looks to me.
We have no one playing at the moment who is able to take the ball and bullock their way clear.

2 Likes

Heā€™s a midget but is grunty as fck and is hard to push of the ball our mids got pushed aside on Friday by Neale

Agree. We look like boys against men every time.

1 Like

Where did you get that top 10 list from? Per the AFL site none of Jones, Gresham, Oā€™Meara, Simpkin, McGrath, or Boak are in the top 10 by average clearances.

By average itā€™s: Goldstein, Cripps, Oliver, Yeo, Treloar, Shiel, Adams, Neale, Parker, Dangerfield.
By total itā€™s: Goldstein, Cripps, Yeo, Neale, Parker, Dangerfield, Naitanui, Oliver, Simpkin, Adams.

1 Like

Our onballers may get better service with Drap taking over main rucking duties. He may even contest ground balls :flushed: something unheard at Bomberland for many years. So a big body helping out.

TBC/Philips now just pitch hit every second week, indeed if a 2nd ruck is needed, which IMO is so Drap is not worn out

Mcgrath is the 5th highest rated player in the comp for average defensive half pressure acts, his defensive running is elite.

5 Likes