#3 Darcy Parish - signed to 2027

it was rutten :woozy_face:

1 Like

the spike isnā€™t what surprises me, more that he effectively averaged 20 possession 3 tackles and 3 clearances in every one of his first 5 years.

1 Like

oh I have havenā€™t forgotten

that youā€™re a countr- ohhh i getcha

I know the blokes at the club are smarter than the rest of us (at least we better hope they are), but its an absolute indictment that Parish hasnā€™t been playing in the guts since day dot

1 Like

Interesting CBA stats here.
I think actually Parish was playing a lot of midfield last year also but various media ppl just hadnā€™t latched onto it. Itā€™s kind of triggering my football statistic nerd side to see it become accepted wisdom that he was playing forward pocket and it was ruining his performance for EFC.

Thereā€™s a bit of a story in the 2020 numbers, for the first 5 rounds (inc MELB bye) heā€™s kind of on the edge and is legitimately not playing mid, but then when Stringer goes down (COLL game) Parish replaces his CBAs and keeps them when String comes back. Then Smith doesnā€™t play the Saints game and Parish gets 29 possessions, and then his CBA number stays high after that.

2021:

2020:

I follow this guy Brice Mitchell for CBA numbers: https://twitter.com/bricemitchell?s=20
Plus, every teamā€™s 2020 available at: Centre bounce attendances 2020 ā€“ DT TALK

9 Likes

There is that ā€œstoryā€, and I agree its not entirely true. It isnā€™t entirely false however. I would point out that:

In 2021 since Round 3 Parish has only dropped below 70% CBAā€™s one game (68%). So heā€™s attended 70%+ of CBAā€™s 6 out of 7 games. Three of those games heā€™s been at over 80% (so a bit under half of all games since round 3).

From rounds 6 onwards in 2020 when he started playing more midfield, he attended 70%+ CBAs only 4 times in 13 games. He attended more than 80% only once. Of those 13 games, 7 of them he was in the fifties or less. Including one game of 10% (although was he injured?) and two games under 50%.

So in 2020 he was under 60% CBA attendance for almost half of his ā€œhot streakā€, and only once over 80%, in 2021 heā€™s only once been under 70% since Round 3, and almost half the time heā€™s over 80%.

Although its true he transitioned into midfield more in 2020 than the story goes, its also true heā€™s spending a LOT more time there now than he was in 2020.

5 Likes

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that parish attending 37% cbas in rd 1 cost us the game (and the 3rd quarter drove me insane for just that reason) and it backs up what we have all been saying. At no stage in his career has Parish been considered a first string midfielder when we had a full list to choose from.

I think it also fair to say that, with the exception of possibly merrett, no one on this list has produced a string of 7 games in the middle like those Parish has just produced.

The coaches have been proven unequivocally wrong in their assessment of our best side as put on the ground in round 1.

18 Likes

My only equivocation is that we donā€™t know the counter factual of what Shiel and Caldwell would have done if fit. Itā€™s doubtful that theyā€™d be projecting for 6th in the Brownlow though. Darcy has been really great and itā€™s been a joy to watch.

How do you think we should integrate Shiel into what we have at the moment?

1 Like

I would add that in previous years parish has routinely demonstrated his ability to perform very well when played as a first string midfielder.

I suspect though that no one in the media particularly cared enough about us (we have essentially been irrelevant in a football sense for 15 years) to criticise the coaching set up for the manner in which they played parish. I think I heard Whatley do it maybe once at one of parishā€™s big midfield games.

I suspect now however, that his performances have been at such a high level that if he were to be bumped down the midfield pecking order the media would immediately put pressure on Rutten especially if we underperform relative to their expectations.

On the back of this year we will be expected to show further improvement next year. If parish goes back to splitting his minutes between the midfield and forward the media will sieze on it as an easy talking point very very quickly

4 Likes

We also donā€™t know if Shiel/Caldwell up forward would offer way less than Parish. It is possible that the coaches are correct that Parish forward and one of those midfield is a better overall outcome **.

** Note, I donā€™t agree with this. But that would be the argument.

1 Like

I actually think Shiel would offer far more forward than parish because his explosive pace can be used to close and create space very quickly. Heā€™d be a very dangerous out the back player and difficult to contain on the lead in an open forward line. Heā€™s also very strong and hard to bring down. Most small defenders would struggle to match his core strength I suspect

8 Likes

Only C graders average 35 possessions. Delist, trade and remove from the record books.

1 Like

Were Hopper and Mills both academy selections in 2015.

yep

Hopper should have been ours damm bloody academies hope they get scraped

Yea but he canā€™t kick straight

The other side to this is to say it is good management that he is now breaking out!!

We had the opportunity to bid but chose not to.

Dodo allergic to big mids hence why we didnā€™t bid :joy: