#36 Garrett McDonagh

For those of us who weren’t watching the live draft can you explain what happened & why you believe Melb & Coll bent us over?

1 Like

Looks as though we are turning over a new Leif

4 Likes

Because they jumped above us and picked the players everyone thinks we were going to pick.

You’ve made your point and not a very good one.

Big can of STFU. Open it.

3 Likes

So your telling me it’s NOT too late to play for the bombers :sweat_smile:

The pies traded up to get in before us

We were waiting patiently for our first pick of the night to come around……

Taylor and Draper (who Cal Twomey had said we were very much linked to…. And had slid into the third round) were still on the board. Melbourne traded with St. Kilda which was 2 picks ahead of us…… and grabbed Taylor.

Then Collingwood traded with west Coast, for the pick in-front of us and got Arlo Draper.

The talk on the telecast was that both those clubs had strategically traded ahead of us, believing that we’d take them both.

Meanwhile we sat on our hands.

2 Likes

You’re a sitting duck though when a club trades up to the position before you. They are doing it to get a specific player and it’s unlikely they would give up the pick they have just acquired without getting a king’s ransom in return.

Reminds me of Trent Mckenzie from Port, the way he kicks the ball. Weapon!

2 Likes

Ask yourself what we really had to trade at that point though

I personally am happy we didn’t burn our future 2nd on just trying to get a mid 40’s pick upgrade

And then what’s left? Future 3rd and 4th that we may prefer to retain as will need points next year

23 Likes

When the name came up, on AFL.com.au telecast, they had a laugh because they had no idea who it was.

Cal was flicking through his guide to find his name…… and Just said jokingly “we know he’s a bolter”.

what a great story to get drafted at 25

that in itself is a great achievement. good on him

45 Likes

Guy’s name sounds like a really bad collection of scrabble letters

This didn’t happen. Taylor went to Adelaide.

I’m personally furious at North for taking Horne Francis. They should have known that we would have really liked him.

13 Likes

We just have to trust the decisions (or non-decisions) the club has made. We wanted to improve our draft hand and didn’t. Is that a fail? Probably. But we may need our full draft hand next year if it helps us get a deal done next trade period, or perhaps we really like next year’s draft. I just hope we have done the right thing…

2 Likes

Age aside I love the attributes I’m reading about him, could be an inspired choice if his body is durable and his head is screwed on.

He’s not old by any stretch but we’re getting his ceiling straight away.

11 Likes

Given we dumped Gleeson we prob needed some mature coverage for if Hep or Redman miss games

If we are going to be knocking on door of top 4 by 2023 and having a crack at it for the period after he is still clearly young enough to be a strong contributor even if it’s purely as depth

4 Likes

Nobody going to mention him out marking Shaun McKernan in a one on one marking contest in the highlights?

19 Likes

So because Cal Twomey didnt know who these players were, we got the picks wrong? None of us know who these kids are. Cal gets the first 10 right by asking the clubs not because he knows better.
We have a draft strategy in play already for next year with making sure we can secure the Davey boys, so trading away probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder for next year would put us in a a bad situation. Taylor and Draper were passed on by each club 3 times before picked, do we really know what we missed out on?

16 Likes

If we really wanted Draper we would have taken him at 40

5 Likes