#36 Michael Hartley

Stays in for mine. Gives us that ability to move Hooker.

his game was very solid. Welcome back Hearts.

I really liked his game and he is a good match up for 2m Peter. Not sure we can go with all of Clarke, Hartley, Ambrose, Francis, Hooker, Smack and Brown. As others have said itā€™s a good opportunity to rest Hooker.

1 Like

Has only just turned 26, really hope we keep him on the list

5 Likes

Walla likes this post

2 Likes

With Hooker being hobbled and a potential liability down back, Hartley should have the rest of the season down back.

He finally showed his kicking last night. And was a big reason as to why we scored heavily from defensive 50.

Strongly disagree. We needed a ruckman badly. Smack actually competing better in the second half was as big a reason as any that we won. There ruckman dominated the first half and was bog by a mile

Give hooker the week off and play harts agaun

1 Like

Even if Hooker isnā€™t rested, heā€™s carrying an injury and canā€™t keep up with a leading forward. He has to play forward along with Brown. Smack is FP, changing with Zed Clackers in the ruck. Hartley Ambrose and Francis are the three talls in the back line. QED.

Stringer (whom you forgot to mention) is interchange, moving between midfield and HF.

Fugging ridiculous Harts has had had to wait this long for another game. The begrudgers can go to hell ā€” Harts is a gun ā€” and always was !!

2 Likes

The question is whether you can play both Ambrose and Hartley in the same team. Both pure stoppers but donā€™t offer much the other way. Ambrose doesnt have the brain fades Hartley does but I think Hartley has the ability to become more attacking.

1 Like

With Saad, McKenna, Redman and sometimes McGrath we can probably afford a couple of guys who arenā€™t overly attacking.
Hooker was pretty defensive in his movements anyway; just better at marking opposition kicks than Ambrose or Hartley.

1 Like

Youā€™ve answered your own question.

Ambrose is a pure stopper, who regularly smothers a key forward for a whole game. Invaluable.

Hartley is more varied than that. Good mark, though he often prefers to fist the incoming ball away. A brilliant long kick, with pinpoint accuracy. His so-called ā€œbrain fadesā€ were the product of inexperience and overwork. The inexperience was both on his part and on the part of those around him: he wasnā€™t used to working with them, nor they with him. The overwork came as a result of an incompetent midfield putting too much pressure on the back line. There was no respite for them: Hartley being the new boy got the blame.

If you check back with video of 1st team games he played in, youā€™ll see that Hartley was left in no manā€™s land far too often (Hooker never did that, but Iā€™m sorry to say that Hurley did more than once).

Now with Ambrose, Redman, Gleeson and Guelfi in the team, and Francis, too, Hartley has players heā€™s used to working with in the Magoos, players he has an instinctive understanding with. Add in McKenna and Saad ,and in the near future, Beserker, and you have a back line to equal any in the competition, with or without Hooker.

Itā€™s taken since Anzac Day 2018 to give Harts a recall. This is the bloke that put his body on the line for the Club and got his nose spread across his face for it. Courage and determination.

How do we thank him ? We leave him in the Magoos for a season & a half. Itā€™s been a long time, but at last heā€™s had a recall.

7 Likes

But anyway itā€™s not about being rewarded or not being rewarded. Itā€™s simply, we have Hooker and Hurley. And Hartley (up until this point) could only play their position. Heā€™s not a stopper like Ambrose, and heā€™s not running and attacking like Gleeson or Redman types.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t miss a beat, fantastic.

I loved Hartā€™s game. Even his ground ball work when he was rucking I thought showed some real intent.

ZClarke needs to play if he is fit, as he badly needs as much AFL level match practice as possible between now & finals, as TommyB sounds a fair way off.
So assuming no injuries, how do we keep Harts in and bring back ZClarke as that is one tall too many?

I do like to dream what his kicking could be out of the back half. That pass in the third broke the field open. It is such a weapon.

8 Likes

This is one reason that it would be a good opportunity to rest Cale.

I do hope we donā€™t make the mistake of going in too tall.

The coaches have been very consistent with the structure. If Zlarke comes in a tall will go out

Itā€™d be far easier playing in Ruttenā€™s defensive structures than in whatever defensive structures weā€™ve been running the previous times heā€™s been called up to fill a hole.

3 Likes

ā€œSORRY! The owner has set this GIF to ā€˜Privateā€™.ā€

And Hurley is far from being the beast he was a few years ago ā€” heā€™s really best suited to third tall these days ā€” while Hooker at present canā€™t run; as we saw on Friday he canā€™t keep up with an opponent down back; he may manage as a marking target up forward, but really needs a rest as heā€™s obviously carrying an injury.

Mick Hurley wonā€™t be back this year. If Chooker gets a rest, Beserker will be called up alongside Michael Hartley. Thatā€™ll make some back line !

1 Like