#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

Except he hasn’t
Covering a man at stoppages is just football not tagging
There has not been a hard tag during his time at the club

Guelfi would make a great tagger imo the best taggers win the footy and hurt the other way on top of stopping their man, I reckon he’d do that

He’s not fast, but he is a monster. Clark is like 10cm shorter than Cripps.

I want to see him given a chance. I hate players that stay on our list and don’t play. Give the kid a go in the back end of the season. He needs an opportunity to prove himself.

1 Like

And he has done that for periods this year. The coach reports often say they moved such and such to someone at half time or whatever. We just don’t have a dedicated tagger who lines up on someone at the start of every game.

And I don’t see a problem with tagging at stoppages. Stringer going to Fyfe at stoppages and handing over to Langford seemed smart tactics.

True but Guelfi is not going to be able to hard tag Cripps all game. Probably there is only one player who could do it. Thats Ambrose, but he would not hurt Carlton the other way, even though Cripps would still be attracting the ball, probably the best you could expect is halving the contests. Not that I am suggesting using Ambrose. Any player in there needs to know how to play at stoppages/ midfield So Clarke would do better. Myers doesnt have the tank.

1 Like

Is Cripps legit 195cm, or just 1cm taller than Jobe (who shrunk once he moved from the forward line to the midfield)?

I wasn’t actually specifically talking about this week on Cripps just a general comment that i think he’d be a great tagger

I just read the Round 8 VFL player Review.
Only one player is suggested as " putting pressure on" senior players. Thats Alwyn.

Dylan Clarke

Stats: 31 disposals, five marks, six tackles, five inside 50s

From the coach: I really liked ‘Clarkey’s’ game inside – I thought he was antagonistic and physical, as were Richmond’s midfielders, which made it a really good (battle) in the middle. He had 31 disposals and took the ball inside 50 five times. He’s in good form at the moment and hopefully that puts pressure on some of the guys up (in the seniors).

1 Like

I concur thoroughly with Tim Watson’s comments that when you think of Essendon you don’t think of them being a team that gets a competitive advantage through being hard at the contest and because we don’t get an advantage there, everything else follows from there. That game is already lost.

Being able to at least match/break even with the opposition in terms of hardness at the contest is a simple AFL prerequisite / non negotiable.

If you can’t at least be equal there then its all over.

So many people go on about kicking skills. This is a furphy.

Kicking skills break down when you have a side that prefers to go around the contest. You get hearded and pressured and the kicking skills break down.

I guarantee we need exactly more of the sentence presented here:

“I really liked ‘Clarkey’s’ game inside – I thought he was antagonistic and physical, as were Richmond’s midfielders, which made it a really good (battle) in the middle. He had 31 disposals and took the ball inside 50 five times.”

BRING HIM THE FARK IN.

11 Likes

ITS TIME

I don’t even know why he hasn’t played more seniors games already,

Yes his kicking was/is a let down but he was a standout contested ball winner in his Junior years,
he was one of the very best out of his whole draft class.

considering that’s been an area we have needed help in I’m surprised he hasn’t had more of a go.
I just hate how our club goes about things in terms of developing young players.

He comes in for 1 game last season, has an average game in a win and gets dropped immediately.
what does that do for a kids confidence?

give him a ■■■■■■■ run at it, and that goes for any kids we bring in.
Dropping a young bloke with talent after 1 bad game doesn’t do anyone good.

2 Likes

One of Woosha’s biggest flaws.

EFA

1 Like

When he played that one game, he was not playing the role he is good at - in an under, first hands on the ball mid. If we play him, we must not, must not, play him on the wing or something.

4 Likes

DonAir seem pretty confident D Clarke’s coming in this week. Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

He deserves another stint now, & it is the perfect week to bring Dylan up.

I’d be really, really surprised if he doesn’t get a crack.

3 Likes

Hopefully you like surprises

1 Like

He is legit 195cm

We have no player that could feasibily tag him, but not many clubs do.

Need Langford to go head to head with him at the stoppages. Won’t do much but maybe a good learning experience for Langers.

I do suspect they’ll bring in Myers though to possibly play a role on Cripps.

What role do you suggest?
Hamlet?

4 Likes

Was a bit unfair. Was brought in, given a negative role at stoppages, did that well, crowded the opposition mids, tackled every opponent in sight, but surprise surprise did not rack up lots of stats so they dropped him.

That role is “whatever DeBoer did to stop him” considering no Essendon player has been trained to actually “tag” since Heater was phased out, I doubt any of our players could do what DeBoer did.

1 Like

This is a terrible idea. Langers played on him in the JLT and got monstered in the contest. I would not play him anywhere near Cripps. Not good for his confidence which seems to be increasing.

2 Likes