#37 Nic Martin - all of the extension, pls

No they’re not. Their managers are. Footballers aren’t. Otherwise they’d be in business.

He’s moved from ‘oh my goodness I am getting a game’ to levels of confidence that scream ‘I’m giving it to you to throw any tackler that might be behind me, but you are 100% giving it back, and blocking if needed. He knows hes one of the ones they want taking the important kick, and just looks so confident. He won’t hit every one he takes - no one is that good. But he’s very very good.

11 Likes

I wonder if there’s a chance when 2MP is back and we don’t need a pinch hitting one-on-one capable marking target, that Langford moves back and Martin drifts forward a little more.

Wishful thinking, West Coast will throw everything at him next year and he’ll be super tempted.

He’s exactly what they need and on his current trajectory, he could be our best player by the start of next season. His manager would be stupid, borderline negligent to sign a deal in 2023.

I think moving from wing to follower makes us way better. He needs to be full time on the ball for the remainder of the season.

He’s nowhere near strong enough in the contest to be playing onball presently IMO

Wing is perfectly fine for him right now

3 Likes

Merrett is a good kick, not a great user in traffic or under pressure, hes not bad either mind you but its his actual footskills rather then the options he picks that he excels at.

Might be a hot take but I think Martin is a much better user of the footy in almost every situation then Zac as he is also an elite kick but picks out the best man too.

on the weekend he seemed to play a lot of minutes as the 6th “forward” who pushed up to the ball with the freedom to basically move as a follower. we rotated martin durham perkins snelling langford guelfi and martin through the wings.

letting him float and play a less structured role certainly allows him to get more dangerous and follow the ball. The wings are such structured positions these days it probably limits his impact a little. Certainly last year he played a lot more as a free roaming half forward.

i like it to be honest. use him and merrett as our primary ball movers. durham and others can play the more structured wing roles (perkins, guelfi, shiel). Parish, setterfield, hobbs, caldwell and stringer go hunt the pill.

before his injury Parish was getting a lot of ball in transition by being an option at half back. i think we’d all agree we’d prefer martin to be getting more of those possessions.

3 Likes

How did WC not tak him lols

martin is very good and making a little bit of space for himself and finding gaps to take a bit of ground before he disposes, i think his acceleration and agility is underestimated a little.

merrett likes to receive in space on the move or be able to step back into a pocket and change angles by pulling one across his body off a step, he doesn’t move through traffic a lot really and doesn’t look for one two handballs as much as he should .

Because they had the first chance… and didn’t take it. He didn’t have the tank then, so probably couldn’t produce what we are seeing now.

1 Like

You wouldn’t be using those 3 miskicks in the final quarter of Dreamtime as evidence for your opinion.

Talk that Martin is our best player, or even our best kick, are just drivel.

He’s best 3 or 4 kicks, and in the best 6 players.

1 Like

Wait so you’re saying I should use 3 kicks as evidence to him not being one of our best?
Every player to ever exsist has shanked a kick in a game before.

Martins not our best player but I recon he absolutely is our best kick in real game situations.

1 Like

3 bad miskicks under little physical pressure, two of which could have made our win less nerve-wracking.

He had also played over 90% game time and run over 14km by then… he was clearly exhaused, and the game was over, he was trying kicks that were probably 25% of coming off.

He’d be easily in conversation with Merrett as our best kick/decision maker with ball in hand.

6 Likes

Hoyne of CD just said on SEN that he is having the best ranking season from a winger since 2016.

Disclaimer…i am on headphones in a noisy workplace, so am happy to be corrected if i have any info above incorrect.

I’m guessing Hoyne’s segment is available via the website, or Podcast ?

4 Likes

Always liked champion data…

1 Like

You heard correctly

32 Likes

Brilliant. Blitz in a sentence.

He’s not 1/44 - that’s drivel, he’s like…3 or 4 out of 44

4 Likes

Surely that’s bullshit. Firstly how do you define impact? Secondly, his season hasn’t been that good apart from 3-4 good games. Finally, how is his season better than Ed Langdon’s season in 2021?

why?