#38 Cody Brand

When was the last time we had so many redheads at the club at the same time?

When Vanders et al used to light up at Half Time??

4 Likes

Not getting enough attention.

Looks and sounds like Fletch, like.

4 Likes

Yes, he has a steely calmness about him.

1 Like

He looks a strong build already. Maybe he is already more physically mature and ready to play on the big forwards than BZT. Similar height.

No-one will match that comment, although Bryant May.

3 Likes

From the sounds of it he may have the go-go-gadget arms (huge arm-length), but is there anything to say he has the disposal ability of Fletch, or the agility (and ability to play small) that Fletch had?

Really? To me BZT looks huge and Brand looks like an 18 year old just starting out.

BZT is probably double the size of Brand

Great to hear in the Injury Update from the club today that Brand’s ankle injury isn’t serious and he’s only likely to miss the one week.

14 Likes

Yup, excellent news. I reckon he’s already put on a bit of muscle since being drafted - looks like he’ll end up being a pretty solid build.

1 Like

100% mate. I reckon he has a very nice frame to put on size. I was impressed with some of his work against the Dogs a couple of weeks back. Especially aerially.

1 Like

He’ll need to make strength his weapon as he isn’t a strong runner like Ambrose/Stewart/Reid/McBride.

He is similar to BZT in that regard, so if Adelaide come knocking for Zerk after McAsey leaves then at least we have his replacement on board already.

1 Like

It’s weird how confident I am that Brand will be a good player for us, considering we barely drafted him. I think I only saw him play 3 games as a 17 year-old, but he just seems to have all the tools that you’d want in a reliable key defender. Good mark, good kick, long arms, reads the ball pretty well. He’ll never be that flashy star player, but in a couple of years he’ll be shutting down some very good forwards. Reckon he’ll be our Daniel Talia.

2 Likes

Thought he held up alright on the weekend.

Can hoof a football as well.

1 Like

Heard some really promising feedback on the weekend about how the coaches see Brand’s progress.

A mate spoke with one of our recruiting staff at the club and in his discussion with him he said that they are rapt with what they’ve got in Brand. They are pleased with not just his lockdown ability but also his reading of the ball and ability to intercept.

He even went so far as to say that he could (as in ‘capable’ enough to) play at AFL level this year. Obviously he won’t due to the incredible depth we have in that area but it was nice to hear.

19 Likes

Great to hear. Will be interesting how they use Reid if Brand is coming on strongly. May free Reid up to play forward if Eyre / Baldwin don’t make it.

I almost feel that if you are going to recruit a flexible 200cm+ KPP with a top 10 pick, we should try him forward first.

3 Likes

Particularly in our circumstances where we will have a need that is more pressing (KPF) than his alternative position (KPD)

1 Like

Really good to hear. To be honest, I’m not as gushing about his VFL form to date (which is fine, but I wouldn’t have thought “play AFL in my first year” level).

Well, when we all thought we needed another KP forward with one of our 3 top 10s, there was lively debate over which of Cox or Reid would be the better option. Plenty went Reid.