#38 Cody Brand

I went EDDIE FORD. Still can’t believe we didn’t take him!

Reid on the opposite wing to Cox, welcome to the land of the giants.

That’s awesome! I always thought that this kid was as sure a thing as anyone else we drafted last year. Can’t wait to see him blast a couple of those >60m kick-ins at AFL level.

Depending on how we’re looking finals-wise later in the season, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a game or two. Nobody thought we’d be seeing Reid in the AFL this year, either…

for all the ■■■■ Jackets gets he’s got a decent knack of picking good value players out of nowhere seemingly !

1 Like

Incredible depth?

1 Like

we’re around top 8 with a lot of our depth playing?

Umm yeah. Surely you can see the number of tall defensive options we have available who would be ahead of him right now :grimacing:

Stewart
Lav
Frang
Ridley
Zerk
Reid

And that’s without even playing it safe and flipping things and putting Ambrose back there.

Don’t forget Hurley.

1 Like

I’m talking about this year and I’ve basically written Hurley off this season rightly or wrongly.

He can play a shut down role, would be interesting if he got a game near the end of the year.

From my observations, he doesn’t get beaten much, doesn’t do a lot wrong, is good to get the spoil in and a booming kick from defence when he kicks in. Definetly something to work with.

would need stewart, Zerk and reid to be unavailble to get a shot though this year.

And you guys forgot McBride too?, or saying Brands ahead of him already.

Didn’t count Reid and forgot about Stewart.

Would you call Ridley a tall? I know he is 6’5" but I would have him playing on a Kennedy or Hawkins as an example.

If Bryan is young and capable down back I would have him in defence. Reckon it’s easier for a kid to start in defence than CHF/FF

They obviously try to free Ridley up where possible to play to his strengths but he is part of that mix of taller defenders and is capable of flexing up and playing on a genuine tall if required.

But yeah, I’m sure you can see from that list that Brand is likely to get the time he needs at VFL level to continue to develop his game and his confidence but it was very encouraging to hear!

As far as Bryan goes I just don’t think we have a need to play him as a backman. They’d have to fall over like 9 pins to consider that. Reckon his best path is as a genuine ruckman or ruck/fwd if he proves himself capable up there in tandem with Draper.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, Brand is comfortably ahead of McBride right now. Cian’s got better athleticism, but Cody’s defensive positioning, intercept work, ball use and decision making has him in front by a fair margin. Not writing off McBride, but he’s got some work to do to catch up.

Yeh I’d agree, and given how many Brand is behind, McBride is up against it.

I don’t think Cian will be on our list post this year. Nothing against the bloke, but as Houli_Dooli mentioned, he is way down the pecking order.

Lol, I meant Brand, not Byran.

even looks a bit like Fletch

6 Likes

He got a cannon for a leg as well but he’ll be a lot heavier than Fletcher, he is gonna be a strong, strong boy

1 Like

Makes good decisions with the ball, too, from what I’ve seen. He’s got a lot going for him. Just needs to build up his fitness and he’ll be a very solid player for us.

1 Like

Michael Pryor even.

11 Likes