Not #39 - Heath Hocking

HEATER

First of the ten to re sign - great commitment to the club.

Currently training in the U.S. - should come back super fit.

It will be interesting to see if Woosha uses him more creatively as a forward/mid rather than a straight tagger.

Big fan. Really looking forward to having him back on board - super fit & focused. Can’t wait.

Can’t believe people have been leaving this guy out of their “best 22” sides.
Arguably our most important midfielder as he makes the likes of Watson and Heppell much more effective due to his work off the ball

Can't believe people have been leaving this guy out of their "best 22" sides. Arguably our most important midfielder as he makes the likes of Watson and Heppell much more effective due to his work off the ball

He’s the footy equivalent of Mark Viduka playing the ‘holding role’ for the Socceroos in the early to mid 2000’s. People criticised him for not scoring enough but his role was to do the physical body work and bring it down to the feet of Cahill, Kewell and co.

First of the ten to re sign - great commitment to the club.

Currently training in the U.S. - should come back super fit.

It will be interesting to see if Woosha uses him more creatively as a forward/mid rather than a straight tagger.

New Mexico?

Let him off the leash. Could be our Liam Picken.

Love this bloke, integral.

Tough as.

Can't believe people have been leaving this guy out of their "best 22" sides. Arguably our most important midfielder as he makes the likes of Watson and Heppell much more effective due to his work off the ball

People also leave out Myers,Howlett,Bellchambers

Except none of them have anywhere near as much influence on how our side performs

I underrated the guy until the other year where he missed most of the season and came back for two games and we looked 100x tougher in the middle.

Hard tagging is history, at least I think Woosha reckons it is. So if picked Heater will have to be released and run through the midfield, spending time as a high half forward ( which is a quasi mid anyway). If we are going to pick this type of inside mid , he will need to fight it out with Craig Bird to gain selection. Heath probably has a better tank than Bird and is about 5cm taller and a better mark and so is arguably better rotating through half forward.

Except none of them have anywhere near as much influence on how our side performs

I reckon Myers will in 2017. He will be a extraction beast I reckon.

I reckon Myers will in 2017. He will be a extraction beast I reckon.

Possibly. Heath just has a lot more runs on the board in that role so should get first crack imo
If, by the end of the year he’s out of the team solely because others have gone past him then our midfield is in pretty good shape as far as contested ball goes

I underrated the guy until the other year where he missed most of the season and came back for two games and we looked 100x tougher in the middle.

Same. He made a massive difference. Can’t wait to see him back out there.

My favorite Essendon player

Doesn’t get enough credit, I don’t know what it is but the side performs better with him in consistently. They stand just a little bit higher when they see Hocking slam in.

He has the grunt and experience to be our Jordan Lewis. He’s showed that ability before.

had 23 touches, 5 tackles and and 3 goals in his last game. i’m curious to see what he’d produce if freed up consistently. no know doubt his body will have appreciated what has effectively been 2 years off. soon to be 29 so you would think he’ll be desperate to make the most of it.

Hopefully the shackles get released.

When given the chance he can be a very attacking player. Also his body work around the stoppages creates space for others and add a defensive element to our clearances.

Watch out 2017, heater is going to set the G on fire!