#40 Ben Howlett - Delisted

This is what we needed against the Swans. I don't know why he wasn't playing then. There must have been a slight injury. 

Yeah he was marred by groin struggles for second half of last year. As we've said before...he is like many other players in that bracket. But I think he cops it a bit more because he isn't as seen as other under-performing players. I still rate his tackling as one of our best and his behind the play stuff as up there. When he had the ball earlier this season he didn't use it very well at all. However, this is a good start and hopefully he can continue to build up form against these lesser sides over the next few weeks to really make it count when we hit that tough few weeks in July. 

attacks the ball like an animal. like.

bobcat_front.jpg

This game will be like adelaide last year, everyone will expect more of it and it won't come. He's a good honest footballer that gives his all, nothing more nothing less, revaluate your expectations.

I agree to an extent.

I think part of his problem is that once he picks up a niggle his form seems to taper away.

He has a massive tank, is deceptively quick and a great tackler. But he has no real slack available to him for a drop off in intensity. Once he is 5% off, he goes back to MR 10-15 touches aka Lonergan MkII.Only difference is that he has that extra gear that Lonergan could never find as he has shown in a few matches now.

Disagree
Averages 18.6 possies and 6+ tackles per game for his career, most on the team in a team with the laziest midfield in the comp.

I'd take his 10 to 15 possession high tackling games over Stanton's 30 possession high turnover games that's for sure
Also he was the best player of the round of any team http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-02/howlett-heading-north
Good honest footballer? He's a star.

This game will be like adelaide last year, everyone will expect more of it and it won't come. He's a good honest footballer that gives his all, nothing more nothing less, revaluate your expectations.

Give it a rest. Few players on the list could do what he did. Every week he puts his body on the line. More of the same from Benny with a more reg cameo will do fine.

Imagine if Ablett had 25 possessions, 5 goals, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50s. It would be a love fest, but Howlett does it and no one seems to notice.

Even caro was lovin the Bcat

Watch the replay, look at the way he kicks his first 3 goals. What has been his best trait the last few years? That he's one of our few players who would take the ball out of a contest and just burst forward out of the pack and just go straight towards our goals without ■■■■■■■ about with it.Since that moment on the boundary he knows what it takes, think it takes a toll on him though.

Hope he can stay fit all season (and finals)

Give it a rest. Few players on the list could do what he did. Every week he puts his body on the line. More of the same from Benny with a more reg cameo will do fine.

l expect that Benny has struck a rich vein of form that will continue. He suffers on here in comparison to others because he isn't flashy, but you will find him under more packs than most, he is workhorse and a solid contributor. l also expect banz that you will be the one to re-evaluate your expectations, because the Bobcat will force you to. 

Imagine if Ablett had 25 possessions, 5 goals, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50s. It would be a love fest, but Howlett does it and no one seems to notice.

While it's great for players to get the accolades of the wider footy community, I don't mind him, or any of our players flying under the radar. As long as they know the club & our supporters value & acknowledge their work. It's guys like him busting their gut every week who will make the difference between us winning a flag in the near future or not.

l expect that Benny has struck a rich vein of form that will continue. He suffers on here in comparison to others because he isn't flashy, but you will find him under more packs than most, he is workhorse and a solid contributor. l also expect banz that you will be the one to re-evaluate your expectations, because the Bobcat will force you to.
I'm a big fan of Howlett I'll eat my words if he comes out with another performance like Saturday. Unlike stockbroker over here.

I'm a big fan of Howlett I'll eat my words if he comes out with another performance like Saturday. Unlike stockbroker over here.

Sounds like your just a troll...?

No I just think well get a flashback of. Adelaide. Expect big things of benny then people will rip into him for it not happening.

I agree to an extent.

I think part of his problem is that once he picks up a niggle his form seems to taper away.

He has a massive tank, is deceptively quick and a great tackler. But he has no real slack available to him for a drop off in intensity. Once he is 5% off, he goes back to MR 10-15 touches aka Lonergan MkII.Only difference is that he has that extra gear that Lonergan could never find as he has shown in a few matches now.

Disagree
Averages 18.6 possies and 6+ tackles per game for his career, most on the team in a team with the laziest midfield in the comp.

I'd take his 10 to 15 possession high tackling games over Stanton's 30 possession high turnover games that's for sure
Also he was the best player of the round of any team http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-02/howlett-heading-north
Good honest footballer? He's a star.

Love Ben Howlett, but really what is the Stanton comparison about at all? - completely different players, and you need both kinds. If all our midfield averaged Benny's possession count and ED% we'd get smashed. We'[d also get smashed if we ran all Stantons as we wouldn;t win enough inside contests. Benny's tackling is outrageous and makes him worth his spot but you need that blend of players, and Stanton is one that we need - he gets 25 disposals PG, usually with a hard tag, and at over 70% ED rate. And for the last 7 years (since he was a skinny kid - which Benny hasn't been at tthe highest level, as he came in as an older mature bodied player) Stanton has averaged 4 tackles/game - not super high but pretty respectable. 

We'd all love swift outside runners who are also inside beasts, but they are hen's teeth. Unless we trip over a GAJ, or (in their prime) Chris Judd or Daniel Kerr in his prime we have to make do with what nearly all footballers are - a compromise of strengths and weaknesses. Fibreglass with just glass fibre or just resin would never work. Midfields are a bit like that.

What a game from Benny. I just love the way he plays the game. Flashy outside players get way too much respect from some football fans, but I bet if you're playing the game you'd rather some like Howlett standing next to you. He looks freshened up, and hopefully his form continues. And what a great effort by him adding another string to his bow by becoming a dangerous forward.

Sounds like your just a troll...?

He said he'll admit he was wrong if Benny rips out another epic game. That doesn't sound very troll like.

He is actually quite explosive. Its a really good quality. I think he could average 2 goals a game.

Besides theres better places to troll, like the sorry saga.

According to barnz howletts smile isn’t as electrifying as some. Howlett vs a few others is moneyball defined.