40-man AA squad

Ryder not even being in the squad shows just how sh*t the selectors are. Who cares, f**k 'em!

I think people need to take off their Essendon coloured glasses for a second.

I never thought Hibberd deserved a spot this year despite still being pretty good when he played. But he isn’t a patch on what he was last season, I think injuries really robbed him this year.

Paddy I always thought was 50/50 at best. He has been stellar for us this year and super consistent too but the AA committee don’t pick players on versatility and dual position capabilities alone. They simply pick the second best player for that position as next in line and then third and so and so forth. They don’t care that Ryder is dangerous forward and has had his most consistent year to date. For him to be all Australian he will need to average something like 35 hitouts a game with roughly 17-18 disposals also. He needs Jacobs like numbers to get that kind of recognition, despite arguably being a better player.

But well done to Heppell and Hooker as they thoroughly deserve to be in the final 22 and have been the only 2 I thought would make it all season.

Congratulations to them both.

Also I wonder when the last time was we have multiple players selected for AA? Final 22 that is.

Ryder unlucky not to make the top 40. The selectors appear to have hidden behind statistics and not picked the best 40 footballers.

Pig>>>>>Burgoyne

Libba had an average year.

I never thought Hibberd deserved a spot this year despite still being pretty good when he played. But he isn't a patch on what he was last season, I think injuries really robbed him this year.
Paddy I always thought was 50/50 at best. He has been stellar for us this year and super consistent too but the AA committee don't pick players on versatility and dual position capabilities alone. They simply pick the second best player for that position as next in line and then third and so and so forth. They don't care that Ryder is dangerous forward and has had his most consistent year to date. For him to be all Australian he will need to average something like 35 hitouts a game with roughly 17-18 disposals also. He needs Jacobs like numbers to get that kind of recognition, despite arguably being a better player.
But well done to Heppell and Hooker as they thoroughly deserve to be in the final 22 and have been the only 2 I thought would make it all season.
Also I wonder when the last time was we have multiple players selected for AA? Final 22 that is.

2003, Lloyd and Hird, I think.

I never thought Hibberd deserved a spot this year despite still being pretty good when he played. But he isn't a patch on what he was last season, I think injuries really robbed him this year.
Paddy I always thought was 50/50 at best. He has been stellar for us this year and super consistent too but the AA committee don't pick players on versatility and dual position capabilities alone. They simply pick the second best player for that position as next in line and then third and so and so forth. They don't care that Ryder is dangerous forward and has had his most consistent year to date. For him to be all Australian he will need to average something like 35 hitouts a game with roughly 17-18 disposals also. He needs Jacobs like numbers to get that kind of recognition, despite arguably being a better player.

Agree about Hibberd.
But I disagree about that they pick the best player for that position. The AA selectors have always said that they pick players on form (best player for that position) and versatility (ability for that player to play numerous roles). They pick the AA side as if they were playing the Irish or USA. You simply don't go in With 2 lumbering no. 1 ruckman who can't play other roles.
Ryder is by far the best second ruckman for the AA, based on his 2014 form and amazing versatility which would be maximised when picking 3 on-ballers on the bench. He can step in to play the key forward or key back role. This should not have been ignored.

Why would Ryder need hit out stats anywhere near Sauce or Sandilands? Even of he spent as much time rucking as these guys, why would that stat be more important than goals, tackles, the ability to run with the ball and all the other things he brings to the table that those blokes don't?

Ryder had this season in 2013 and he would have been AA - Minson was the AA ruck in 2013.

Glen Jackovich is on the selection panel.

The guy has threatened to sue ex-team mates because they tell stories about him when hosting events. He's THICK. 

I'm amazed the bloke can count to 40.

Pig's year wasn't that strong IMHO. I wouldn't have had him in the 40 - some very very very good half backs around this year (as always)

Yep, I thought he was more unlucky last year.
Definitely. This year he had about 12 weeks at full flight, started rusty, got right, broke down, then came back rusty.

Compared to his other years and standards, Harry Taylor’s first half of the year was farken woeful.

The point being Burgoyne May or may not make the final squad but I believe he is best 40 easily

Hanley has him for disposals, kicks, marks, inside 50s, (even on tackles), goal assists, frees for, effective disposals, rebounds, 1%ers and bounces.
Burgoyne on clearances, contested possessions and goals - that's about it.
Hanley is pretty damaging and he was pretty consistent all year. Far more important to his team although you can't really take that into account.

The selectors are going to look even more stupid when we win the flag.we onl

Didn't we only have 2 or 3 in the 2000 squad?

No Ryder

Get farked

Harry O’Brian made it once, that tells you how seriously to take the AA team.

Harry O'Brian made it once, that tells you how seriously to take the AA team.

Harry O'Brien?.... oh, wait... You mean Heretier Tossbag. Obviously whoever picks the AA never watches the games. 

The point being Burgoyne May or may not make the final squad but I believe he is best 40 easily

Hanley has him for disposals, kicks, marks, inside 50s, (even on tackles), goal assists, frees for, effective disposals, rebounds, 1%ers and bounces.
Burgoyne on clearances, contested possessions and goals - that's about it.
Hanley is pretty damaging and he was pretty consistent all year. Far more important to his team although you can't really take that into account.

Yeah, I don't understand Hanley's omission. I thought he was a genuine chance of being selected in the final team.

Yeah, I haven't watched a lot of Hawks, but the games I have watched he's just ambled around doing fark all. Perhaps I've watched his off games. Anyway, I guess not watching a lot of their games precludes my opinion, but I have kept up with stats. Obviously they never tell the whole story. 

Yeah, I haven't watched a lot of Hawks, but the games I have watched he's just ambled around doing fark all. Perhaps I've watched his off games. Anyway, I guess not watching a lot of their games precludes my opinion, but I have kept up with stats. Obviously they never tell the whole story. 

He's been awesome - at times. Just not all the times. Daresay they've been managing his workload.

Compared to his other years and standards, Harry Taylor's first half of the year was farken woeful.

To pick a squad they write Harry Taylor on a piece of paper first, then sit down and discuss who the other 39 should be.